Midnight blue
    1999 z28

Need lifters!!!Help!!

Dude i just bought these garbage Comp R lifters in Febuary....Not even 5000 miles on them 2 already collapsed.........it was installed with a new cam.....if the cam wasnt degreed could it of been the colparit....or are the lifters cheap...or both.....can anybody recomend good lifters that are durable and reliable....Thanks guys

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Comp OEM, or SDPC's new OEM style improved lifters. The Comp "R" lifters need to be used with the proper pre-load, and most don't set them up properly.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Absolute best lifter out there is the Morel, specifically designed for the smaller base circle of an aftermarket cam and the guts are superior. They are a lot of money though and need to be properly set up. The Comp R's have a history of failure and have a very very tight tolerance on preload.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

last i read, the comp R lifters need only about .005" preload. factory lifters are in the .100"-.120" range. so, if the place that set them, used factory specs..... crane has two different lifters out.

Crane Pro-Series

Crane Ultra-Pro Series

“Pro-Series™” roller lifters are lighter than the original design to reduce parasitic horsepower loss through inertia. These designs undergo rigorous Finite Element Analysis (FEA) that eliminates “weak” areas and allows the best design for performance possible. The “Pro-Series™” roller lifters are made from either 1214 alloy or 8620-alloy steel, depending on application. These lifters are ideal for drag racing applications with seat pressures up to 300 lbs. For circle track and other endurance applications, we recommend limiting seat pressure to 250 lbs. and open pressures up to 700 lbs.

The Crane “Ultra-Pro™” roller lifters are the best in the market today. Made from the finest grades of alloy steel and carburized heat-treated right here in-house, the best just got better with the addition of the Mikronite® metal finishing process. All “Ultra-Pro™” lifters undergo the Mikronite® process that increases the residual compressive stresses, “hardens” the metal’s outer surface, and imparts an even pattern of microscopic “channels” that promote capillary oil adhesion and thus superior lubrication distribution and friction reduction. These roller lifters provide the absolute best combination of lightweight, ultimate strength and reliability. These are the roller lifters to use in drag racing applications where seat pressures exceed 300 lbs, and open pressures are over 800 lbs. They are also the roller lifter to use in short-track and / or endurance racing applications where valve spring seat pressures exceed 250 lbs. and open pressures are above 700 lbs.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    last i read, the comp R lifters need only about .005" preload. factory lifters are in the .100"-.120" range. so, if the place that set them, used factory specs..... crane has two different lifters out.

Crane Pro-Series

Crane Ultra-Pro Series

Actually IIRC it is .008 -.010... So mrr23 is right, if they used the factory preload then that is your likely cause... Morels definately are great but they are a pretty penny, and the Cranes are good too. You should check your setup and use the pushrod length to adjust the preload if you do not have adjustable rockers.

Midnight blue
    1999 z28

I have stage 3 ls6 heads and 228/228 cam............so go with stock????

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1fury View Post
    The stockers should be fine.

Although, it never hurts to get an adjustable pushrod tool to check the preload...

Midnight blue
    1999 z28

I rescently purchased comp cams adjustable rockers im running on stock ones right now... when I open her up for the lifters im gonna put in the rockers .........were do you get one of those tools and how do u use it?
    U guys are the shit!!
    uve been alote of help!!
    Last edited by Ls1fury; 09-26-2006 at 02:37 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

were do you get one of those and how much do they cost!!!!
    U guys are the shit!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/sponsor.php
    thunder racing sells it.

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

BTW, I meant to ask are you running stage 3 heads on stock displacement or on a stroker/bigger cube engine? (But then again a 228/228 would be a baby cam on a stroker IMHO)

Midnight blue
    1999 z28

Stock block...forged internals...i should of done research befor purchising the comp gays...... ......in two weeks it should be ready again..... off the subject....with a 175 shot of nos......would i need bigger fuel injecters...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

wet shot, maybe. dry shot definately with larger injectors to boot.

Midnight blue
    1999 z28

i WANNA RUN A WET 175-190......WOULD 42LB INJECTORS DUE....

Thread Information