red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Need help Please

OK so finally getting cheap dd and going to do work on my car while in garage. I am going to put on a BBK intake manafold, cause it is the cheapest i can get that i can bolt my 85mm tb directly to. while i have it apart i was debating putting a cam in. Then i started thinking i would be hard and have to replace more than just the cam (high stall conv. and springs). So i was wondering about putting a set of heads on. I found a set on WS6store for 1300 which is the cheapest i found. So what should i do? I have full exhaust(headers, ory, borla adj.) with SLP lid, MAF, smooth bellow, k&n filter, 85 mm tb, underdrive pulleys, 160 stat, sfc, 3.73 gears, rearend girdle, and tubular lca and phb. I am afraid if i put the heads or the cam in i would break my rearend. I probably wont do the cam unless i get help but i would do the heads. So these are the options i was thinking of doing. 1. intake with roller rockers and have stock heads flowmatched to the intake. or 2. intake with rr and the $1300 heads. Am i able to put heads on with the stock cam? Do i need different pushrods with the different heads? Would someone help with cam install if i decide to go that rout? What do you guys sugest to do. I dont want to put alot into it because i want to swap out motor for a blown 402 long way down the road. Sorry for long post but had to explain.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

any suggestions on what to do? can i put different heads on with the stock cam?

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Patriot Stage II LS6 style heads seem pretty popular. Def bang for your buck.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wow, where to start.

First off, if you call some shops you can get a decent price on a package deal for your heads and cam and you can get just heads cheaper than $1300 that flow really well.

If you're willing to attempt the heads then the cam is nothing. Check out the write up for heads and cam install at LS1howto.com and I think after reading it a few times you'll see that there's really nothing hard about the install. Just taking some bolts out and putting some bolts back in basically.

Also, before you start this take a few things into consideration. You'll want to swap out the oil pump and timing chain while you're at it and you'll want to have a tuning solution figured out before you even start. Don't do all this work THEN try to figure out what you're gonna do about the tune. It's easier to have all that figured out before you start.

You have a leg up on the rear with the a4 tranny and girdle already on there. The problem is it's still just a 10 bolt and on borrowed time at stock HP much less after heads and cam. As long as you don't run sticky tires on it and do a bunch of hard launches I think it'd survive for a while.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

ok i have decided not to do a cam do to the cost and extra work. My underdrive pulley was a pain to get on, really tight. I was thinking of putting the stage 2 ls6 heads from summit. they have different combustion chamber sizes. which size should i get? They come in 59 and 64cc. I want the smaller one for higher compression but i dont know if it will be too high. I was also going to put on the 1.8 roller rockers instead of the cam (i know that it wont make as much power). With the stock cam will the springs be stong enough to handle the higher ratio rockers? Will i need different length pushrods? And finally will i need different injectors?

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

got talked into putting cam in.

Thread Information