Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

Need help picking a cam, my specs are ::

99 WS6, M6, 4:10 rear end, B&M shifter, Lukes Pro Gold clutch with Aluminum flywheel; SLP box with K&N, Free Mods, Flowmaster. Eibach Pro springs.
    Super Chips ( to be removed when professionaly tuned)
    Simultainiously to install Pacesetter long tube Headers w/ ORY.
    Daily Driver

I have researched the site and found some great advice. I am deciding on a cam and realize the importance of matching that cam to my mods and specs as well as future intensions. However, I have no clue what would work best with what I have.

The long story is this:
    The car is going into the shop for new engine mounts. I figured this would be a good time to finally put on the headers & OR Y pipe. (after getting advice from the site I decided on Pacesetter & ORY). This is where I started getting carried away ... I thought of stretch the money I have and figured now that she can breath I would put on a Throttle Body and intake. I was advised that a cam would be better spent money for the gains at this point and now I agree. ( I cant afford to do all three.)

My intensions are to use this car as my daily driver. I want that " push you back in the seat " feeling, and would like to leave the local cobra's in my rearview. However, as much as love the raw horsepower ... I still dont want my morning coffee bubling over the cup at a stop light. My hopes are to have a wide power band. Also please keep in mind that in the future I would expect to upgrade to a larger throttle Body and intake ( unless there is a better suggestion). Truth be told I am conserving $ like most people and dont see that happening for quite a while. I would put new heads on now but the "cash flow" prohibits that. With that said I dont see tearing into the engine again for sometime, so new heads are a long way off.

Like I said this site is full of great advise, I learned that 224/224 114 would be a safe bet. Maybe 228 is more my speed. My gut says jump into the TREX or MS3 but I am concerned that they will be too big for my "non head bairly buying new springs project". I do have a local tuner who recomends the Trex and can tune it.

Thanks in advance for your specific advice.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stay away from the TRex type cams on a daily driver.

Texas Speed 228R.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

just needed to hear that.
    Is 224 to 228 range where I want to be ?
    And the benefits of 112 vs 114 ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by NitrOmm View Post
    just needed to hear that.
    Is 224 to 228 range where I want to be ?
    And the benefits of 112 vs 114 ?
    the 112 LSA will have more of a rough idle. It also has performance differneces, but I can't really explain it to well...I do believe you might have to pull the heads though. Depending on your cam you might need to flycut the pistons. (probably not with the 228R, not really sure.)

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The 224 on a 112 will make more tq in the middle; moving the LSA up to 114 will shift the power band up in the RPM range a touch.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stay away from the TRex type cams on a daily driver.

Texas Speed 228R.
    +1. Great powerband for a daily driven car.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I woudl think the 224 or 228 are great street car cams, especially with a 114 lsa. Mine is close to that 226/228 .585/.588 with a 112 lsa and I put around 1000 miles a month on the car as my daily drive. It is a little rough sometimes (mostly cold starts), but with a 114 lsa it would be a very tame cam with a good tune.

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

Thanks, I am taking Mr. Luos's advice TS 228R.
    I am curious .. adding the Cam & LT headers at the same time how much additional RWHP do you think I will see ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I'd say, with a good tune of course, probably ~55ish.

Blue
    2000 Z28

Unhappy cam choice

99 WS6, M6, 4:10 rear end, B&M shifter, Lukes Pro Gold clutch with Aluminum flywheel; SLP box with K&N, Free Mods, Flowmaster. Eibach Pro springs.
    Super Chips ( to be removed when professionaly tuned)
    Simultainiously to install Pacesetter long tube Headers w/ ORY.
    Daily Driver

I have researched the site and found some great advice. I am deciding on a cam and realize the importance of matching that cam to my mods and specs as well as future intensions. However, I have no clue what would work best with what I have.

The long story is this:
    The car is going into the shop for new engine mounts. I figured this would be a good time to finally put on the headers & OR Y pipe. (after getting advice from the site I decided on Pacesetter & ORY). This is where I started getting carried away ... I thought of stretch the money I have and figured now that she can breath I would put on a Throttle Body and intake. I was advised that a cam would be better spent money for the gains at this point and now I agree. ( I cant afford to do all three.)

My intensions are to use this car as my daily driver. I want that " push you back in the seat " feeling, and would like to leave the local cobra's in my rearview. However, as much as love the raw horsepower ... I still dont want my morning coffee bubling over the cup at a stop light. My hopes are to have a wide power band. Also please keep in mind that in the future I would expect to upgrade to a larger throttle Body and intake ( unless there is a better suggestion). Truth be told I am conserving $ like most people and dont see that happening for quite a while. I would put new heads on now but the "cash flow" prohibits that. With that said I dont see tearing into the engine again for sometime, so new heads are a long way off.

Like I said this site is full of great advise, I learned that 224/224 114 would be a safe bet. Maybe 228 is more my speed. My gut says jump into the TREX or MS3 but I am concerned that they will be too big for my "non head bairly buying new springs project". I do have a local tuner who recomends the Trex and can tune it.

Thanks in advance for your specific advice.
    If you want nice horsepower with DD idle, go with thunder racings ls2 cheater cam. 214/230 @50, .629/.598 lift. i have 383 with AFR 205 heads in 2000 camaro that made 442 rwhp/445rwtq on mustang dyno. I also have m6 and aluminum flywheel. It was daily driver until I hydroplaned on the way to work two weeks ago. It is resting in the garage right now though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

You've done your research -- great job! I fought for a while of trying to find a good balance between performance and driveability. I went with a "middle of the road" cam, Trick Flow 228/230 .585/.585 on 112 LSA. The 228R mentioned above would also be a great choice. Either cam should offer you good power throughout the band and it should be reasonable to drive with a good tune.

My cam on a 112 LSA has a nice lope at idle (which helps produce the sound that I was looking for), however it will almost roll out of the clutch without even needing to push the throttle. In short, it's VERY easy to drive as a daily driver -- it still runs great in the cold and I haven't stalled out once.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

Thanks Mid02,
    Do you have a sound clip of your exhaust ?

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

need a little more help, my buddy tells me I should be changing the lifters while we are in there. The car has 110K on it. I would like to avoid the extra costs if I can ... what do think ??

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

need a little more help, my buddy tells me I should be changing the lifters while we are in there. The car has 110K on it. I would like to avoid the extra costs if I can ... what do think ??
    I did not bother changing mine out 137K miles one them now. You should be fine, wait till you do heads as well since they have to come off to change out the lifters.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I'd change them... springs will be MUCH easier to swap with heads off the car anyways. LS7 lifter only cost about $100 for the whole set.

Thread Information