1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS

my engine options?

basically my car sounds like a diesel now and my mechanic said I have a lower end knock and recommends engine replacement. My best guess is it happened because car got low on oil and before I had time to add more I let GF take car to town not remembering I had to go out and add more oil and car then started knocking after this. Just checking every option I have... can I just replace the bottom end and be fine or go the new engine route. I know I didn't list much detail but any general opinions would be helpful. thanks. If I got to buy another LS1 I would prefer used (mainly for the price) but buying new I would be spending more but at least have lengthy warranty. Pretty torn right now.

1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS

and engine is at 81xxx miles.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Scoggin Dickey has some ls6 long blocks on sale for 2999.00 plus 300 shipping. best deal around.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    Scoggin Dickey has some ls6 long blocks on sale for 2999.00 plus 300 shipping. best deal around.
    +1 ... and stroker kit

2000 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    +1 ... and stroker kit

cant beat tht deal

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

You should be able to do a decent mile used LB for less than 2k installed pretty easily. I saw one go for $750 (no accessories) and say $500-$700 to install could be 1.5k range counting fluids etc..

I thought $750 was a pretty good deal so.....

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If it was run without oil the motor is toast. Just replacing the bottom end will not fix the prob. The motor is most likely full of metal peices and bearing shavings now. I'd look into replacement with using some of the suggestions stated.. Good luck..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

Good thing I did not buy your SS when it was on craigslist last month. you sent me some pics remember last month I wanted your chrome zo6 rims instead. I actually regret not buying your SS till I saw this.

1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS

you would have been perfectly happy if you bought this car. problem was I didn't drive it for a couple of weeks because I was busy with military obligations and forgot to let gf know that it was very low on oil. She took it out for quite a while and fried it. All good though. Just got new LS1 ordered.

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

Quote Originally Posted by samuraidonkey View Post
    you would have been perfectly happy if you bought this car. problem was I didn't drive it for a couple of weeks because I was busy with military obligations and forgot to let gf know that it was very low on oil. She took it out for quite a while and fried it. All good though. Just got new LS1 ordered.

I'm not not knocking your car I actually really wanted to buy it i really like the rear center mount exhaust and If I rememeber right all that was wrong with it was the drivers door was rubbing on fender. Why would it be low on oil?? is it leaking oil or burning lots of oil. I have a had about 8 ls1's and lt1s and never had that problem low on oil. I found a SS 50 miles from my house and it was convertible and a like $2500 cheaper but needs some cosmetic work which I had done already. Best of luck to you its a shame you need a new motor.

1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by naperws6 View Post
    I'm not not knocking your car I actually really wanted to buy it i really like the rear center mount exhaust and If I rememeber right all that was wrong with it was the drivers door was rubbing on fender. Why would it be low on oil?? is it leaking oil or burning lots of oil. I have a had about 8 ls1's and lt1s and never had that problem low on oil. I found a SS 50 miles from my house and it was convertible and a like $2500 cheaper but needs some cosmetic work which I had done already. Best of luck to you its a shame you need a new motor.
    Yeah, just didn't want you thinking I was trying to sell you a POS. Even though I blew the motor I'm kinda glad I ended up keeping it. Probably just end up selling my 86 z28 now instead. I've got too many vehicles as it is. Good luck with your new 'vert.

Thread Information