Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS4 Cam

RED
    2002 SS Camaro LE

MS4 Cam

Looking to do a cam swap. Has anyone used the MS4 from Texas Speed.I would like a very rough idle, and fairly nice HP gains. Car is not a daily driver so Gas mileage is not really an issue. I would like to do the heads as well. Does anyone know of any good flowing cheap reliable heads.. Or is that even possible. Thanks

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

That cam is really aggresive and not very streetable. Bigger is not always better. I am doing the same thing you are and I am going with this cam, 230/230 .609/.604 with 111 lsa +2, It is a custom grind. Very good power curve, Very streetable and it will lope really nice. The cam you are looking to get, you will not use the full powerband on the steet unless you are at 3500+ rpm all the time.

My car is a weekend warrior (Cruiseing and strip car) and not a daily driver. Up to you but Ask a lot of guys around here that have been doing this a while and they will agree.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

RED
    2002 SS Camaro LE

ms4

hey thanks..

who are you getting yours from. Looking for hp, but really want a big old school idle. Also ,, do you know if the pacesetter headers are any good?
    Kenny D
    2002 SS LE #2505

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by ksupersport02 View Post
    hey thanks..

who are you getting yours from. Looking for hp, but really want a big old school idle. Also ,, do you know if the pacesetter headers are any good?
    It is a custom grind. Go through thunder raceing (a sponsor here) they are the ones that recomended it. They have a complete cam package (cam, springs, retainers, pushrods) for around $700. Great price. While you are at it, get a new ls2 timeing chain and ported ls6 oil pump. Another $188 but well worth your piece of mind. Looks like you are a little old school like me and you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to do a timeing chain.

Pacesetters are awesome I have the ceramics with the Off road y pipe and love em. Outstanding ground clearence, fittment, and price. I would Highly recomend them. A lot of guys buy the KOOK's but Pacesetters are the best bang for your buck and the money you save can go towards your new cam!!

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

if you go with the cam I recomended, Make sure you have at least 3.73's in an auto with a stall or 4.10's in a m-6 car. and all the supporting mods along with it. (Lid, headers, aftermarket exhaust, gears etc...)

RED
    2002 SS Camaro LE

ms4

Yeah sounds good. Rebuilt my brothers 350 this weekend. He has a 92 Z28. Replaced the seals waterpump, bearings rings everything. it was good fun though. Never messed with the LSX series.My buddy is a master mech.. hopefully he will be helping. thnx for the input...

You dont have any video or wavs of your car at idle do you?

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Yeah sounds good. Rebuilt my brothers 350 this weekend. He has a 92 Z28. Replaced the seals waterpump, bearings rings everything. it was good fun though. Never messed with the LSX series.My buddy is a master mech.. hopefully he will be helping. thnx for the input...

You dont have any video or wavs of your car at idle do you?
    No, I don't have my cam yet either, waiting on either my boat or my snap on tool box to sell. Then I will get my cam package, timeing chain, oil pump, intake and throttle body and a custom tune..

I would recomend the Pacesetters, Off road y-pipe (if you don't have Emissions), and a Magna flow or borla Cat back. Or go to true duels if you can. Going with true duels might suck once you get a new 9" rearend and you might have some fitment issues.

If you use the search feature on this site for sound clips it might steer you in the right direction.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Also when you do get a new cam make sure you get someone that knows what they are doing and get a good dyno tune. Thats the key in the new lsx stuff is getting a good tune.

RED
    2002 SS Camaro LE

ms4

yeah, thats pretty much covered.

He invested in the LS1 edit program, and his buddy is an engineer. This guy ownes a full dyno shop. Says he will tune me for free.

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    That cam is really aggresive and not very streetable. Bigger is not always better. I am doing the same thing you are and I am going with this cam, 230/230 .609/.604 with 111 lsa +2, It is a custom grind. Very good power curve, Very streetable and it will lope really nice. The cam you are looking to get, you will not use the full powerband on the steet unless you are at 3500+ rpm all the time.

My car is a weekend warrior (Cruiseing and strip car) and not a daily driver. Up to you but Ask a lot of guys around here that have been doing this a while and they will agree.
    I find the MS4 to be a very streetable cam. Torque all the way across the board and lopes like the old school.

Attachment 15451
    Last edited by PFM; 10-28-2008 at 06:00 AM.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    I find the MS4 to be a very streetable cam. Torque all the way across the board and lopes like the old school.

Attachment 15451
    i wonder what i'd put down with one... i need!!!

RED
    2002 SS Camaro LE

Hey PFM.. you dont have any wavs do you? I would like to hear at idle and maybe a rev or 2..

Red
    94 Chevy

I was very close to getting the MS4 and ended up going with a T Rex instead. I did use TSP PRC LS6 Heads. Car is very drivable and puts down 462 rwhp. If you're looking to put heads on with that MS4 - I think TSP's are great for the money

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

yeah, thats pretty much covered.

He invested in the LS1 edit program, and his buddy is an engineer. This guy ownes a full dyno shop. Says he will tune me for free.
    damn, if i become friends with him too, you think he will tune my for free??

RED
    2002 SS Camaro LE

haha. yeah .. as we all know.. nothin is for free.. im sure he will pay me back later.

by the way...94ls1.. how much did TSP set you back? And you made 462?/ what other mods do you have? thnx

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

RED
    2002 SS Camaro LE

man thats nice.. Is that with or without a tune?

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I had a tune at that time. Idle was set 950rpm.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post

Attachment 15451
    why would you have a dyno sheet that does not have the RPM on the bottom...

why would it show MPH instead?

you say great power across the power band, but where does it really kick it? 3000rpm, 3500rpm? what's your redline, stock, raised? not showing RPM makes the sheet very decieving...im not saying im questioning your numbers, but rather why the tuner would choose that route over showing RPM...

this is how one should look...(Comp 224, Heads, LT's, FAST90)...

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I had the MS3, hear a clip of it untuned http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=IMAG0002.flv . Don't have any vids after tune, it came apart before I could get it on video . Not very much difference in the MS3/MS4 other than intake valve lift. Duration within 1 degree off. This is a 114 LSA though (112+2). After tune it could idle at 900. 1k in drive at a light with the air on.

Thread Information