Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS4 cam

red
    1998 Z28

MS4 cam

Has anyone here ever bought and ran the ms4 cam from TSP? its a cam ive often thought about running but im not sure if flycutting is necessary for this cam or not. and what r its street manners like if any? and what numbers can be expected from it?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Great peak numbers.
    Not the best under the curve.
    Street manners are subjective....but it would be too much for me.

It pushes the limits of the piston-to-valve clearance.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

2002 z28 camaro

i have the ms4 cam. you dont have to flycut if you are running stock heads. as far as its street manners the only problems i have is it bucks from 40-45 and it wont idle right with the a/c on on cold start. other than that its great!!! i made 401rwhp through a stalled a4

blue
    99 firebird formula 06GTO

I dont know but the ms3 and ms4 sound so good, i think the 3 has alot better street manners from what ive read. i'd love to be running either.

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Great peak numbers.
    Not the best under the curve.
    Street manners are subjective....but it would be too much for me.

It pushes the limits of the piston-to-valve clearance.

can u give me a quick run down of what u mean by under the curve? i know that has to do with the curve on the dyno readout im just not sure what it means.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...t-h_111838.htm

226 cam, LT's, LS1 intake, tru-duals, 3.73's, fuddle 3400 stall
    AGAINST....
    MS4 cam, LT's, LS6 intake, LM2 exhaust, 3.73's, fuddle 3800 stall

Bigger isn't always better.
    Just saying....

red
    1998 Z28

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...t-h_111838.htm

226 cam, LT's, LS1 intake, tru-duals, 3.73's, fuddle 3400 stall
    AGAINST....
    MS4 cam, LT's, LS6 intake, LM2 exhaust, 3.73's, fuddle 3800 stall

Bigger isn't always better.
    Just saying....

good vid alittle shaky but i know what u mean.

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35thz28camaro View Post
    i have the ms4 cam. you dont have to flycut if you are running stock heads. as far as its street manners the only problems i have is it bucks from 40-45 and it wont idle right with the a/c on on cold start. other than that its great!!! i made 401rwhp through a stalled a4

what kinda of supporting mods did u do to the valve train for the cam? springs r a given so what kinda springs r u using? can u keep the push rods the stock height?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    what kinda of supporting mods did u do to the valve train for the cam? springs r a given so what kinda springs r u using? can u keep the push rods the stock height?
    Yes and Yes.

7.400" pushrods (although 7.410 would probably be perfect, but may compromise piston-to-valve). You would want hardened ones.
    Valvesprings....I run a larger cam than the MS4 (in a stroker, acts like a 228 does in a 346) and use Patriot dual gold springs. You will want dual springs.

As for power under the curve....
    How much power it makes at 3500RPM, 4000RPM, etc....
    The mid-range cams will give a better powerband.

I am not trying to talk you out of the Magic Stick series....just giving the facts. Those cams want heads to make them scream, and steep gears.

2002 z28 camaro

i did springs (prc), push rods(stock height), ls2 timing chain, ported oil pump. just get the kit from texas speed. my car, with stock 2.73 gears, and a 125shot ran a 10.93@124mph

Black
    2000 Z-28

Has anyone here ever bought and ran the ms4 cam from TSP? its a cam ive often thought about running but im not sure if flycutting is necessary for this cam or not. and what r its street manners like if any? and what numbers can be expected from it?
    What is it that you're looking for? Is your car a DD? What mods do you currently have?

red
    1998 Z28

Yes and Yes.

7.400" pushrods (although 7.410 would probably be perfect, but may compromise piston-to-valve). You would want hardened ones.
    Valvesprings....I run a larger cam than the MS4 (in a stroker, acts like a 228 does in a 346) and use Patriot dual gold springs. You will want dual springs.

As for power under the curve....
    How much power it makes at 3500RPM, 4000RPM, etc....
    The mid-range cams will give a better powerband.

I am not trying to talk you out of the Magic Stick series....just giving the facts. Those cams want heads to make them scream, and steep gears.

so basically these cams love high rpms and dont make the best power getting there but when they r at those high rpms they scream? thats what ur getting at correct?

and thank u all for the help cams r a big decision and should not be taken lightly so all the info i can get is helping

NBM
    1998Z28

Question

so basically these cams love high rpms and dont make the best power getting there but when they r at those high rpms they scream? thats what ur getting at correct?

and thank u all for the help cams r a big decision and should not be taken lightly so all the info i can get is helping
    Whats wrong with the midrange on this cam? Its a MS4.

Attachment 17711

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I thought about getting the ms3 or ms4 but i know without a doubt i would not dd either one of those cams. I think there are way better options for a dd and you still can get similiar power

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    Whats wrong with the midrange on this cam? Its a MS4.

Attachment 17711
    Just out of curiousity, what are the other mods on the car?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

To determine whether or not the MS4 is a good fit for you, we need to know exactly what your goals are. Is the car going to be a daily driver or will it spend most of it's time at the track. If you are going to drive it regularly, what's your tolerance for "pain" (meaning how important is it that the car not surge or have idling issues when the A/C is on, etc.)? Are you just planning a cam swap, or do you have heads, intake, gears, etc. planned for the future? Once you can answer each of those questions, it makes walking through the LS1 product list much easier.

In summary, the MS3 and MS4 are both GREAT camshafts. They would be considered a pretty large cam in comparison to most of the other off the shelf cams out there. They typically perform VERY well at the track when mated with the appropriate heads, intake, gears, etc. While the midrange power is still OK, these cams make great power up top -- that typically leads to great peak HP dyno numbers. Driveability comes with the tune -- that being said, you may still have some surging and idling issues. If you're building a track car or if you simply don't mind sacraficing some of the daily driver comforts, this is a great fit for you.

If you're looking for a middle of the road type of cam that seeks to balance performance and driveability -- there are probably a few better choices out there (in my opinion). 228R, TFS 228/230, etc.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    To determine whether or not the MS4 is a good fit for you, we need to know exactly what your goals are. Is the car going to be a daily driver or will it spend most of it's time at the track. If you are going to drive it regularly, what's your tolerance for "pain" (meaning how important is it that the car not surge or have idling issues when the A/C is on, etc.)? Are you just planning a cam swap, or do you have heads, intake, gears, etc. planned for the future? Once you can answer each of those questions, it makes walking through the LS1 product list much easier.

In summary, the MS3 and MS4 are both GREAT camshafts. They would be considered a pretty large cam in comparison to most of the other off the shelf cams out there. They typically perform VERY well at the track when mated with the appropriate heads, intake, gears, etc. While the midrange power is still OK, these cams make great power up top -- that typically leads to great peak HP dyno numbers. Driveability comes with the tune -- that being said, you may still have some surging and idling issues. If you're building a track car or if you simply don't mind sacraficing some of the daily driver comforts, this is a great fit for you.

If you're looking for a middle of the road type of cam that seeks to balance performance and driveability -- there are probably a few better choices out there (in my opinion). 228R, TFS 228/230, etc.
    I tried to ask the same thing, albiet more brief, but w/ no response.

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    I tried to ask the same thing, albiet more brief, but w/ no response.
    i want it to be a temperary dd with that said the end all goal for the car is to be a strip car with the every now and then drive down main street. i would like to turbo the car as well ive put posts up to see if this cam would go well with a turbo but i got no response.but to answer the big question i am a high school student who needs it to be a dd for now but i am will to sacrifice driveability for awhile.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Well if you can live with the drivability issues w/ the goal of being a strip car, then the MS4 or TRex type cams seem to be the way to go. Does your Z have any mods yet? Automatic or 6 speed?

2002 z28 camaro

i drive mine every other day!

Thread Information