Motor help... motorcycle but anything will help!

Think there was too much oil in the bike after an oil change... it ran fine for a bit then started shooting redic amount of white smelly oil smoke. got it home, drained it clean and there def was too much in it, sealed it up with new oil/filter, went to start it and it doesnt even kick.... what could be the problem?

wow... got it started... but its shootin white smoke... is this residual from the overfill and will burn off? or did something fry

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well how many times have you cycled the engine and is it still burning white smoke??? As far as it not starting right away i would say check and clean your plugs if you had too much oil in there they could be coated.....as far as the white smoke...oil burning isnt usually white its blue/grayish....its possible its still from the oil,... but if its white white then its from antifreeze or water....this makes me thing a possible destroyed gasket. check your coolant level.....after you ran it a bit how was it?

it starts up like it always does now idles fine, runs fine as far as i can tell, but it just shoots smoke out the back like mad with a very strong oil smell... a drove it up the block and back and the entire block looked like a warzone.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well if you had that much oil in it, it probably forced oil past your rings etc....you cylinders and head tops are probably coated damn well...it may take a while to burn it all off........did you take out ou plugs and look at them.......i dunno how much you know about engines but if you want take off your intake manifold and head and see what it looks like.........before you do all that just drive it for a while, a good distance and also give it a few WOT pulls to try and burn that shit out......are you leaking any oil now out of any gaskets???

nope oils good... im an amature thats for sure but i could manage a spark plug haha... problem is i dont have any tools on me. all i have on me is the oil filter wrench and a screw driver... i got to the air filter but theres no oil there so thankfully it didnt get that high... but i was just afraid to run it somewhere and end up doing more harm then good. there doesnt seem to be any leaks from anywhere so... guess ill take it out for 15 minutes or so tonight under the cover of darkness so i dont get pulled over for smoke screening a highway hahaha

1966 Corvette Coupe

it prolly didnt start because of oil pressure after the change... bikes need burped some times and your pressure might have been low enough that it wouldnt let it start...

as for the other issue... IDK...

-me

took it out to a loacl parking lot this morning and ran it around for awhile... smoke is still comming out like mad but i noticed that while sitting at idle (i cant see if its happening at speed obviously lol) when i roll on a wot from idle it spits black liquid out of the exhust pipe...i kept reving it and got probably a half cup of it to come out but it just seems to keep comming. when i started to ride it it would be fine rolling on, then bog at about 1/3 to redline, be fine all the way to max rpm... theres like a dead spot where it sputters out, you have to really get hard on the gas to get it to go.

after i got home and it was off, the smoke continued to come out of the tail pipe like there was a small fire inside the tail pipe kinda like burning rubber smell...

it sat on the street for about 10 minutes and i checked on it, and that black liquid is around the outside area down by the spark plugs, and on the seals on each cylinder closest to the body of the bike (boxer motor) and also where the cat joins with the exhuast pipe. both head gaskets shot now? or is it just soak through that will go away

black
    2002 WS6

Sounds like the head gasket blew. From your dicription I'm guessing it's a BMW, liquid cooled. Let it cool and pop the cap off the coolant resivour to see what it looks like or is low.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

yeah it could very well be a gasket......would explain the white smoke and fluid.....coolant getting you cylinders

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not familiar with bikes at all but if it's liquid cooled with a radiator look at your radiator fluid and see if it looks like chocolate milk...if so it's a head gasket .

pewter
    2002 firehawk

yeah, what kind of bike?

1996 BMW R850R... turns out it was filled with too much oil, got into the airbox and was just pouring into the comb chambers like there was no tomorrow... quick drain of the airbox and its almost all but resolved. plugs and gaskets survived thank god!

pewter
    2002 firehawk

wow that's crazy, about how much oil do think it was over?

im guessing a quart or so... i drained the airbox into a plastic food container and it was like an inch deep. ah well, at least everything appears back to normal... the white smoke has decrease dramatically which i hope means its almost all but burned off whatever didnt drain out through the plug.

my thinking is that though, if the engineers where thoughtfull enough to install a drainplug in the airbox for just this case... why the fuck didnt they just install a runoff area or indication light!

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    im guessing a quart or so... i drained the airbox into a plastic food container and it was like an inch deep. ah well, at least everything appears back to normal... the white smoke has decrease dramatically which i hope means its almost all but burned off whatever didnt drain out through the plug.

my thinking is that though, if the engineers where thoughtfull enough to install a drainplug in the airbox for just this case... why the fuck didnt they just install a runoff area or indication light!
    cause they want you to bring it back in a panic and charge you up the butt to "fix it"

hugger orange

you said it has cats on it, you probably have oil in the cats now.
    I'd take the exaust off and pull you o2 sensors and clean them really good with maf cleaner (about $8 at any parts store)then let it all dry and reassemble.
    if you can find a friend with tools, the two of you should be able to do it all in an hour or two

Thread Information