Gold
    72 chevelle

more advice please

Had the thread 6.0 help, and as I stated, I bought a 2000 truck with a 6.0. I need advice on inj or carb. Trying to look at this cost wise and which will be easier. It's going in a 51 chevy trk so I have to run fuel lines, tank yet, and so on. I have the ecm and harness in the trk. I plan on 550 hp or better so I'll be needing bigger injectors, I guess the fuel rails and such will be fine. I have a 70 chevelle tank, would a rail type pump work? Stock regulator with return line? With a carb I could go with the MSD 6010. I'm going to try to go with the 243 heads, cam, undetermined yet, long tube headers, timing chain, and a new oil pump for now. Just trying to figure out easiest route and determine what I can sell to fund the rest of this project. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Because you do not have to worry about emissions I would go with the carb setup, no computers, sensors or feedback lines.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Like the goal of 550.

These are what's needed to get there with either FI or Carb:

CAM - most likely custom grind
    Heads - 243 will need some serious work, look towards AI (they can also recommend cam) OR LS3 Heads with work also
    Block - bore out to 408ci
    408 Forged Stroker kit (pistons, rods crank)
    Nitrous or Force Induction may need to be consider.
    Fuel Pump

For FI you're going to need:

FAST 102 for cathedral (LS1) or rectangular (LS3)
    102 Throttle Body - Nick Williams has a great one
    Injectors - depends on cam, heads, etc but expect around 80lb

For Carb -
    Victor Jr is the way to go. Throttle body or carb will work. Not sure how big a carb you'll need
    Injectors work just like with FI.
    MSD ignition controller.

It isn't going to be cheap. Going carb is going to require more then what ppl think. These engines are design for FI but I've seen carb builds in High Performance Pontiac. I would search their site see what you could come up with.

Besides you have everything you need for FI minus cam, head work and stroker kit.

Also please box the frame of that truck, hate to see it twist from that much power.

Gold
    72 chevelle

Thanks, think the carb is the way to go. I may of found a used intake. I'll save everything when I pull the eng just in case. Frame is almost boxed. It has the ifs frt susp with power rack, now I'm working on a 4 bar system for the rear. Got a 8.5 10 bolt out of a 79 Z28, 3.42 pos. Trying to locate a 9 in that is around 60in over all to use instead. I got a 72 chevelle, 434 sb that runs pretty good. 70's cars I know really good, this truck is a learning experience let me tell you. Now I'm going LS to, so more learning. It'll be a cool old hotrod if I ever get it done. Thing called money gets in the way.

I've done several retro swaps for myself and others. Most everyone has requested fuel injection, and there are lot of things to consider.

If cost is a big factor, going carb or fuel injection isn't cheap, it's almost a wash.

I prefer to have the harnesses custom made for alot of reasons. One, I don't have the time to mess with 10-15 year old spaghetti wires cutting and splicing. It also increases the chance of mishaps later down the road. Instead I use Howell, they custom make a brand new harness specifically for the car you are swapping in, and everything has always been perfectly done to correct lengths when you specify where you want to mount the computer, with new fuse box and relays. Speeds up the process and no worries of electrical problems later. They also supply the computer that is tuned and ready to go, new 02's, new MAF, new DBW if needed, fuel pump if needed, fuel filter if needed etc... Nice complete package and one stop shopping for ~$1,200-$1,500 turn key, all plug and play.

Fuel pump is another consideration. I would not recommend a rail style inline pump AT ALL. They run hot and you'll be lucky if you get 5-10,000 miles out of it before it dies and leaves you stranded. The only way I do these swaps is with an intank pump/pickup/ setup. This can be done a couple different ways. Aeromotive now makes an in-tank pump setup that you can retrofit to most any factory tank (and I recommend starting with a new reproduction tank available for most any classic car or truck) Follow instructions and it works pretty slick. You'll spend about $7-$800 here depending on what a reproduction tank costs you.
    The other option is a custom tank made with a sump, and then you can install one of many in tank pump kits from places like walbro etc...This route can be $1500 or more because the custom tank adds quite a bit.

There are more things to get into but those are the major players.

Carb swaps are easier but again you'll spend $1500 for a intake/carb/MSD controller to make it all work. It's not necessarily a cheap was to go but it does simplify things. You'll still need an electric fuel pump to feed it, along with lines and a regulator, so there's more money spent. Again I wouldn't run an inline pump here either. In tank is the only way to go.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You know... this thread is missing something. Where are the pics of the '51 project?!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You know... this thread is missing something. Where are the pics of the '51 project?!
    Good Point Jeff.

Thread Information