Thread: Making Sure

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

Making Sure

i may have to buy a new engine for my trans am and i was wondering couldnt i just take a corvettes LS1 block and drop it in place of mine ..... even though the power is different isnt it the same size still.... and what car has the "best" LS1 in it ..
    Last edited by Arrison24; 04-30-2007 at 04:57 AM.

gold
    2000 honder accord

The motors are the exact same. It should just drop right in. there is no "better LS1" they are all the same, some may have a different intake manifold or something small like that. But what im wondering is why you wouldn't buy a 6.0 block and build that up or something along those lines. you might as well make more power while you are doing the swap any ways.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

would it fit... theres not a whole lot of room to upgrade is there?

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

Like Andrew said all of the rear drive small blocks have the same external dimensions. It is the internal dimensions of the cylinders that change and possibly the heads and cam. I don't know for sure where the engine mounts are for the front drive V-8's. Also GM casts most of the bolt holes of the same size and location. Personally I would probably bite the bullet and build a new motor instead of used just because I don't like not knowing how someone else treated it, especially for this application.

gold
    2000 honder accord

Quote Originally Posted by ImportKiller24 View Post
    would it fit... theres not a whole lot of room to upgrade is there?
    pretty much all of the small blocks have the same outer dimisions, like 01 hawk said. that being said the bore and stroke is different. there for you get the bigger displacement, with the same out dimisions as your normal LS1 block.

If you do decide to up grade then you will have a little more weight if you use the iron block.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Or you can just grab ya an LS2. Just need to get the harness for the reluctor wheel and knock sensor which most vendors sell it along with it. Heck you can get a complete aluminum 427 Long block with your choice of cam for like 6k new. Ghead go big! But as they stated all the LS series engines are the same externally steel or aluminum. Heck they all even have the same stroke crank. If you are going with the steel 6.0 get them out of the Cadillac trucks and suv's 345 hp and flat top pistons. Set of L92 heads and intake and GM hot cam and bam 500 hp. Car craft built one I was very impressed.

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

You can get the block made out of iron or aluminum. The cranks can be different if you go with a stroker crank. Personally I have been thinking about going the low compression iron block with the forged bottom end. But that will probably be a good ways off. *Knock on wood* Basically it depends on your budget. The reason I would go forged is I know I play with mine and if you play you will break stuff, but I just can't see spending money on doing it once and then having to do it again. You can also go forged stock compression with say 402 or 408 cid and still use nitrous. If you intend to go with a lot of nitrous then you might want the iron block. I think someone has said it weighs about 70 or 80 pounds more. However the aluminum blocks are cheaper and unless you are running a lot of power it will hold up fine. But what I would do doesn't matter, you have to figure up your goals and budget. Let us know if you need help.

Oh yeah and about the room issue there are several companies putting twin front mount turbos. Heck Speed Inc. can even keep your A/C. They have a video on their site where one puts 820 rwhp and A/C. LOL I want one of those so bad.
    Last edited by 2001hawk; 05-02-2007 at 03:30 PM.

gold
    2000 honder accord

There you have all the info you need. Now go build a monster engine! And get back with us on what route you went.

01 SS#3963

ill drop in a 454 on that instead. i mine as well change it to a way bigger ls with 300+ nitrous or something.

Thread Information