Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

LS7 Lifter Question

What up LS1's. OK I have the LS7 lifters for my 98 LS1. I know they're direct replacements BUT do I need to replace my stock lifter trays??? Can I re-use my stock trays? Thanks.....Also I purchased 7.350 hardened Chromoly Pushrods to compensate for the height difference......

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    What up LS1's. OK I have the LS7 lifters for my 98 LS1. I know they're direct replacements BUT do I need to replace my stock lifter trays??? Can I re-use my stock trays? Thanks.....Also I purchased 7.350 hardened Chromoly Pushrods to compensate for the height difference......
    ...however you did a good think with the longer pushrods ..that is the major thing.
    Last edited by shady milkman; 12-07-2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: inaccurate information given

98' trans am

ok after some research ..i found that no modification needs to be done with the trays..however they are about 6 bucks a piece and since you drive a 98 it would be wise to swap them out as the plastic is almost 12 years old and will be worn out.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ok after some research ..i found that no modification needs to be done with the trays..however they are about 6 bucks a piece and since you drive a 98 it would be wise to swap them out as the plastic is almost 12 years old and will be worn out.
    Good idea! I like your call on replacing the 12 year old trays. Thanks for the info.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

...however you did a good think with the longer pushrods ..that is the major thing.
    Right......yeah, I actually over revved my vehicle about a week before my project started and realized I had not only bent a pushrod (possibly) but also worsened the condition of my springs. When i checked my pushrods one of them seemed a little crooked........also what's the stock rpm we should be able to take our vehicles??? I hear websites say over 6,000. If that's so I'm glad I have the new 224R cam and 918 springs because mine would give out (valve float) around 5900.......

hugger orange

if I remember right stock rev limiters were set bewteen 6,000-6,200.
    in a week I'll be spinning mine to 7,500

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    if I remember right stock rev limiters were set bewteen 6,000-6,200.
    in a week I'll be spinning mine to 7,500
    Must be nice man!! What's your set-up to allow this! ARP Rod bolts?? REV KIT in the valvetrain?? I'm jealous now

98' trans am

i will try to speak for mark i could be wrong..but a upgraded valve-train is the biggest thing..along with rod bolt ...hardened pushrods, retainers, locks, springs, lifters ...you get the idea..all of those should be addressed in order to rev that high..if not ..you are asking for float and some french kissing between the valve and the piston top

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

i will try to speak for mark i could be wrong..but a upgraded valve-train is the biggest thing..along with rod bolt ...hardened pushrods, retainers, locks, springs, lifters ...you get the idea..all of those should be addressed in order to rev that high..if not ..you are asking for float and some french kissing between the valve and the piston top
    Right..so......how high could/should I rev my engine once the 224R cam w/918 springs are installed along with ARP bolts? I also have chromoly style retainers for this set-up.

Right..so......how high could/should I rev my engine once the 224R cam w/918 springs are installed along with ARP bolts? I also have chromoly style retainers for this set-up.
    Depending upon your intake and exhaust setup, and the LSA of that cam, you will want to shift in the 6300-6500rpm range. A dyno sheet that is provided with tuning will tell you the best shift point.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Depending upon your intake and exhaust setup, and the LSA of that cam, you will want to shift in the 6300-6500rpm range. A dyno sheet that is provided with tuning will tell you the best shift point.
    OK. Thanks. My LSA is 114 and I have SS longtubes and a TSP Off Road Y on the way.....

hugger orange

said just like I would have lol

the stock springs and cam run into valve float possibilities as low as 6,200 rpms.

asfar as rod bolts, ordered Katech bolts the other day for $199. the Katechs are a drop in replacement, with the ARP bolts you should/need to have alittle machine work done to the stock rods.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    that sounds about right, with my 220/224 .570/.580 112 and ported heads I found it ran best shifting at 6,500.....but I'd think stock heads/intake combo would be dropping off quick by 6,500rpms.
    getting everything back together this week/ weekend and want to start on a sheetmetal intake.....that just might give me a few 100 more rpms

hugger orange

only problem with super high rpms is that my tach only goes to 7k lol time for an aftermarket tach too

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

said just like I would have lol

the stock springs and cam run into valve float possibilities as low as 6,200 rpms.

asfar as rod bolts, ordered Katech bolts the other day for $199. the Katechs are a drop in replacement, with the ARP bolts you should/need to have alittle machine work done to the stock rods.
    So I need to perform machine work on the rods huh?? If so that's to bad man...I've been out of a ride for almost 2 months now waiting on parts and am finally getting something done.....tell me this isn't a must have?

hugger orange

So I need to perform machine work on the rods huh?? If so that's to bad man...I've been out of a ride for almost 2 months now waiting on parts and am finally getting something done.....tell me this isn't a must have?
    with the Katechs, just take one bolt at a time out and replace it with new.

rodbolts a must have? no but they are if your spinnning super high and want your bottom end to hold together

98' trans am

with the Katechs, just take one bolt at a time out and replace it with new.

rodbolts a must have? no but they are if your spinnning super high and want your bottom end to hold together
    if you are pushing over 400rwhp they sure as hell are that and i believe 98s are known to have some rod bolt issues anyways...... its about time for me to change them...but i need to wait till i pull my motor for a complete refresh and upgrade.........

hugger orange

if you are pushing over 400rwhp they sure as hell are that and i believe 98s are known to have some rod bolt issues anyways...... its about time for me to change them...but i need to wait till i pull my motor for a complete refresh and upgrade.........
    yes 98-99 are weaker and I'd never recomend anyone to spin 7,000rpms without rod bolts.

now for the honesty......
    I was doing the cam, oil pump, timing set upgrade.....while unbolting the pickup tube I dropped not only the bolt, but my 10mm wrench down into the ouk pan.......had to unbolt the oil pan to get the bolt and wrench out.
    so, its only 6-8 more bolts to drop the K member and pull the pan completely out at this point.

tes I should have upgraded the bolts anyway, but I'm this far into the job already and would be a fool not to lol

98' trans am

yes 98-99 are weaker and I'd never recomend anyone to spin 7,000rpms without rod bolts.

now for the honesty......
    I was doing the cam, oil pump, timing set upgrade.....while unbolting the pickup tube I dropped not only the bolt, but my 10mm wrench down into the ouk pan.......had to unbolt the oil pan to get the bolt and wrench out.
    so, its only 6-8 more bolts to drop the K member and pull the pan completely out at this point.

tes I should have upgraded the bolts anyway, but I'm this far into the job already and would be a fool not to lol
    true

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Yeah, I've read that in many magazines and LS1/LS6 books. 98 Rod bolts are suspect! Looks like we both of 98 LS1's so......time to get er done!

Thread Information