mach111

dwd
    wdwd

ls6 cam bad decision?

Hey guys... lern from my mistakes. Ive got a 00 A4 Corvette just finished adding ls6 cam, ls6 intake, black wing cold air and hollwed out cats. I just had it dyno tuned and it cam back with 319 RWHP.

Ive read stories of people getting 345 RWHP with this combination with stock exhaust manifolds. The only thing which I might have neglected was adding a cat back, I herd the stock cat backs on vettes flow preety good and aftermarkets you only pick up 5 or 6RWHP. But maybe I herd wrong? Now I'm thinking of adding an aftermarket cat back or zo6 cat back ,but wonder if it would mess with the $600 dyno tune i just got? or if it would really pick up any rwhp? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ohh by the way way I choose this set up as to not void my extended warranty, No headers or lumpy idle, completely stock appearing...but in my case completly stock dyno numbers too...
    Last edited by mach350z; 06-28-2007 at 05:16 PM.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mach350z View Post
    Hey guys... lern from my mistakes. Ive got a 00 A4 Corvette just finished adding ls6 cam, ls6 intake, black wing cold air and hollwed out cats. I just had it dyno tuned and it cam back with 319 RWHP.

Ive read stories of people getting 345 RWHP with this combination. The only thing which I might have neglected was adding a cat back, I herd the stock cat backs on vettes flow preety good and aftermarkets you only pick up 5 or 6RWHP. But maybe I herd wrong? Now I'm thinking of adding an aftermarket cat back or zo6 cat back ,but wonder if it would mess with the $600 dyno tune i just got? or if it would really pick up any rwhp? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ohh by the way way I choose this set up as to not void my extended warranty, No headers or lumpy idle, completely stock appearing...

long story short....you need headers with a cam. if you had headers and a decent catback you would easily be at 345 cam only. hell you may dyno more than that. thats not a bad cam at all. everyone says go big but theres power to be had from the smaller cams.

the lack of longtubes is choking the cam out i can tell you right now. that is a decision you'll have to go with. and as for more power if you get headers, do a port job on your heads. then you'll be over 400 easily. take it to the track and have a blast.

oh and yes a catback would add probably 5-10 hp on your current setup, but a set of longtubes would add 30 easily with that cam.

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

not having longtubes is not whats holding back the ls6 cam. It's numbers are only slightly larger than the ls1 cam, the lack you are seeing is the fact that you are still running your stock ls1 heads, if you bumped up to the ls6 heads, you would in essence practically have an ls6 minus the block. There's really no long story short on this one. I see what you are after, practically a Z06 clone. LS6 heads and the proper tune would yield the power you are looking for trying to keep it as stock as possible.

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

because the bone stock Z06 ls6 was rated at 405hp, yet in actuality on the dyno was right around the power numbers you seek. Your heads in this case are whats holding you back. You can find a set of LS6 heads fairly cheap, fully assembled. if i'm not mistaken the heads you need are the 243 casting, i can't remember if it's the 243 or 241, i would have to look it up

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Actually, those numbers aren't that bad for an automatic. Installing a cat-back won't mess up your tune. If you have to stay stock-appearing, I'd look into a stall before anything else...

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Wasted your time doing all that work to install a LS6 cam, that cam makes peak hp, which looks great on a dyno.
    EDIT- Didn't see the warranty thing

black
    06 gto

ls-6 heads are 243 casting and do some exhaust work and get LT,s and u will see some better #

Pewter
    2000 z28

i would have to disagree. i really think that with the 241 heads and that cam he should get long tubes and he will make some power. i didnt see that it was an auto. get gears.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The LS6 cam is not a bad cam at all. The heads are not the problem either. I didn't realize in your other thread that you are still on stock manifolds. That is hurting you quite a bit. I also think you could find a better tuner elsewhere than what you are currently using. I would stick with the stock catback. All the Vette owners I know just keep the stock catback and usually put LG longtubes on. Long tubes would get you up around the 340-350 range and a better tune might net you more.

241's are LS1 heads
    243's are LS6 heads

When I had my SS vert, I had a LS6 cam, LS6 intake, and full exhaust with the stock convertor still. The cam was untuned and I dynoed 356 RWHP. Its the stock manifolds choking you.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter
    2000 z28

^^^^sounds familiar.....

mach111

dwd
    wdwd

Hey putter, did you have an automatic or stick? And did you have longtubes and a cat back?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mach350z View Post
    Hey putter, did you have an automatic or stick? And did you have longtubes and a cat back?
    It was an auto, long tubes, 3" off road y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, LS6 intake and LS6 cam.

Thread Information