Thread: ls6 cam

black
    firebird formula 99

ls6 cam

Hey guys Ive heard you can put a stock ls6 cam in a ls1 but do you have to change the heads as well? I know you should as well as the intake but i wanted to do a lil bigger cam then the stock ls1 without changing the heads and what cam would be right for that?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

you can do it but IMHO it is the biggest waste of time... if i were you i would get a good cam that with make awesome power... look at it this way your going to have to take everything apart to get to the cam radiator, timing cover, valve covers, timing gear, oil pump, and many more to make the swap... to gain maybe 10-20hp with an ls6 cam... i may be wrong on the HP gain but i cant see how the LS6 cam is worth the blood, sweat and tears for alittle HP gain...

noting putting down what you want to do just thats my opinion...

someone correct me if im looking at this the wrong way!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You don't have to change the heads no matter which cam you choose. You do however have to change the springs whichever cam you go with. That being said I would not bother swapping in an LS6 cam. I run a 230/236 cam w/stock heads.

black
    firebird formula 99

Is that with a stock stall? its a daily driver and i dont wanna put a diff stall in it just something to give it a lil more power and a good chug

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Stall should be swapped out before the cam imo.

black
    firebird formula 99

What would be a good stall for a decent cam maybe like a 2k stall?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

black
    firebird formula 99

Ok so stupid question but does a stall make the car drive diff like its slipping till it hits 3600? im guessing the idea is to let the motor rev easier cuz of the cam as the stock converter would choke the motor out?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

a stall will rev alittle higher to move the car... it will pretty much drive like stock till you mash the gas then you will realize there is a 3600 in it!

black
    firebird formula 99

would the stock 4l60e handle that im guessing a trans cooler would be a good idea?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

The stall should be fine in a stock tranny but get the biggest transmission cooler you can find. A higher stall makes more heat which is what would really kill the tranny.

black
    firebird formula 99

ok cool whats the best temp range for the 4l60e? and if i get the cooler with the fan how would i set the fan up to come on when needed? or would it just be on a switch

black
    firebird formula 99

so i think im going with the tr 224/224 but what lsa should i go with 112 or 114? and does it make a big diff?

The 224/224 @ .050 cam is a nice mild cam that works well with stock heads.

I have an LS6 cam in my wifes car that has a few of the numbers changed around a bit. It's ground on a 112 lsa, same lift, but a little more intake duration. It idles smooth, drives like stock, and I still knock down 24 city/30 highway mpg.

For the record stock LS1's with the LS6 cam and an LS6 intake swap along with a tune and an exhaust system generally make 360-370 rwhp from what I've seen, one here local in particular. So it's not a worthless cam by any means. It's not far from the magic 400 rwhp number that alot of people shoot for. I'll be going to a fun dyno session with the car to see exactly where hers is.
    In all honesty, the 224/224 cam is only bigger by about 6-10 degrees of duration and .030" lift. This cam gets alot of cars a little closer to 400 rwhp.

Keep in mind the LS6 cam is tuned for the LS6 intake with an early intake valve closing. If you plan to run that intake then I'd either keep the camshaft mild or do a custom grind that keeps the intake valve event similar.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I started with the 224 cam. My car made 370ish with Mac headers on a very conservitive Mustang dyno. I got bored with that one in a few years. I'd go with a 228 personally. Drivability will still be the same but with a few more horses.

I'd probably pass the 228 straight pattern all together and get someing in the low 230's for intake duration and about 240ish for exhaust duration. LS1 heads need a slight exhaust split, and it especially helps when running these single pipe exhaust systems.

black
    firebird formula 99

would i have to pull the heads and put bigger gaskets on for those size cams?

Not in most cases. It depends on lift or ramp profile used along with LSA. Most of your cams in the upper 220's and low 230's are still pretty mild.

If you aren't sure what you would really like, I'd probably stick with your initial choice of a 224 @.050. That used to be the "go to" cam when LS1's were in their infancy and it's still popular.

black
    firebird formula 99

ok cool thanks and whats a good stall size for a 224 cam? and what lsa should i go with?

112 would be a decent LSA to choose from. Not sure what else they offer other than a 114 so your choices are slim.

Stall converters vary but something in the 3500 range is a safe bet. It would be best to contact a converter manufacture of your choice and tell them your combo. They will either recommend something they have or better yet, custom build one to suit your car.

Thread Information