Red w/factory stripes
    02 camaro ss

ls2 based supercharged 402 in a F-body

Hi, I'm Jason. I am power hungry and I´m thinking very seriously about a LS2 based 402 aluminum short block low compression. Remember I´m going supercharged at 8-9psi, Heads and supercharged cam package. My actual LS1 is an 02 only 14K miles and it´s running great but I need more power. shooting for at about 600rwhp

Questions....
    What do you think about this set-up?
    What other parts do I need to make this?
    Any vendor recommendations?
    Any comments or ideas are welcome..

Thanks....
    Jason

Silverstone Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Heres a question..

will you sell me your old engine

Quote Originally Posted by twoss'sinny
    Hi, I'm Jason. I am power hungry and I´m thinking very seriously about a LS2 based 402 aluminum short block low compression. Remember I´m going supercharged at 8-9psi, Heads and supercharged cam package. My actual LS1 is an 02 only 14K miles and it´s running great but I need more power. shooting for at about 600rwhp...
    Are you kidding? Jason, stick with your original engine! Such low mileage on your stock engine, it'd be an absolute waste. You can easily obtain those horsepower numbers with the LS1....

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

yeah since the LS2 is really expensive know compaired to the LS1 I would just build up your LS1. you would get more bang for the buck.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Whatever you end up doing....building out your LS1 ( Is what I would do) or going the 402 route.....I would stick with the iron block if I went the 402 route.....

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

well, youre looking at spending atleast 15k to set up the car for that power.

http://www.eastsideperformance.net/

http://www.rapidmotorsports.com/

above are some links to some well known ls1 tuners.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red w/factory stripes
    02 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Are you kidding? Jason, stick with your original engine! Such low mileage on your stock engine, it'd be an absolute waste. You can easily obtain those horsepower numbers with the LS1....
    I think easily is a stretch, I want to stay away from NOS, I dont want turbo lag, and I need it to be a daily driver in the summer so a big big cam is out. Also cant the stock bottom end only support up to 500hp I want 625-700 fly wheel hp..... can you get that much out of an ls1? I havent seen it!

Red w/factory stripes
    02 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Whatever you end up doing....building out your LS1 ( Is what I would do) or going the 402 route.....I would stick with the iron block if I went the 402 route.....
    Sarge what is the benefit of the Iron block? all I know about it is its about 100 pounds heavier

pewter
    02' Z28

I would get he L92 heads. Ls7 flow numbers at discounted price. (i think it's about 175 per head, bare!)

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by twoss'sinny View Post
    I think easily is a stretch, I want to stay away from NOS, I dont want turbo lag, and I need it to be a daily driver in the summer so a big big cam is out. Also cant the stock bottom end only support up to 500hp I want 625-700 fly wheel hp..... can you get that much out of an ls1? I havent seen it!
    Why don't you put some forged, low-comp pistons, blower cam and ARP rod bolts in your LS1 and bolt up a F1 or Novi 2000? The factory crank is pretty tough and the Al block will be fine for the power levels you are looking for. My stock bottom end lived with 576rwhp/590rwtq for years and if you haven't seen 550-600rwhp out of an LS1, you haven't been looking very hard.
    Last edited by danziger; 08-23-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: grammar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by twoss'sinny View Post
    Hi, I'm Jason. I am power hungry and I´m thinking very seriously about a LS2 based 402 aluminum short block low compression. Remember I´m going supercharged at 8-9psi, Heads and supercharged cam package. My actual LS1 is an 02 only 14K miles and it´s running great but I need more power. shooting for at about 600rwhp

Questions....
    What do you think about this set-up?
    What other parts do I need to make this?
    Any vendor recommendations?
    Any comments or ideas are welcome..

Thanks....
    Jason

you'll get to 600rwhp on that setup easily. I got a 402 ls2 motor, full bolt ons, A4, and pushing close to 500rwhp just on that. add s/c and you are well into 640rwhp. my mods in the sig if you are curious... good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by twoss'sinny
    I think easily is a stretch, I want to stay away from NOS, I dont want turbo lag, and I need it to be a daily driver in the summer so a big big cam is out....
    No stretch whatsoever. You already stated that you wanted to employ a Supercharged 402, with a goal of 600-RWHP. You can easily meet that goal (and then some) with your existing LS1. Incidently, you don't need a giant cam to accomplish this lol, just one that will compliment the heads needed to attain such power levels, which is where the "true" power is found. Determine maximum boost, use this to determine desired compression level(s), have a custom reverse split cam ground to compliment whichever heads you decide to go with, then slap on your ProCharger. 600-RWHP will be an absolute UNDERSTATEMENT, believe me. As far as the stock engine's capabilities, as long as there is no detonation, you will be fine, so get a PROFESSIONAL tune....

Thread Information