Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

LS1/LS6 rebuild ballpark...

This is a discussion on LS1/LS6 rebuild ballpark... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Does anyone have a good ballpark on what a LS1/LS6 rebuild with obvious upgrades (cam, oil pump, headwork) runs these ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    LS1/LS6 rebuild ballpark...

    Does anyone have a good ballpark on what a LS1/LS6 rebuild with obvious upgrades (cam, oil pump, headwork) runs these days, from removal and reinstall runs these days?

    Oil is leaking from the oil pan gasket, front timing cover, and rear main; not alot but enough to be certain.

    Trying to work up budgeted funds, and also compare bottom end rebuild against getting a LS2 bottom end.

  2. #2
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    11,658

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

    You looking for just a simple refresh or slightly build up?

    You doing it yourself or having a shop?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    You looking for just a simple refresh or slightly build up?

    You doing it yourself or having a shop?
    I need a shop to do it, I donít have the time or the resources to do it myself.

    I would want a slight upgrade, definitely a camshaft, maybe run a set of 243ís or the like.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I need a shop to do it, I donít have the time or the resources to do it myself.

    I would want a slight upgrade, definitely a camshaft, maybe run a set of 243ís or the like.
    Bump
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact DW's all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    356 rwhp, 360 rwlb/tq

  5. #5
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Called a Baltimore area shop that does radio commercials all the time talking about installing reman engines.

    I got quote $6,800 for Jasper Remanufactured LS1 for the 02 WS6, and additional $700 for clutch parts.

    I know Jasper Engines don't the the worlds greatest reputation, and I would rather have my engine rebuilt. Is there a good shop in the area that will quote a rebuild of an engine, including pulling and installation? Would be nice to put a little more aggressive cam that would take advantage of the LT Headers and high flow exhaust.

  6. #6
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    11,658

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

    I would go find some local car groups or shows and ask around. Hell even a track you might be able to get in touch with some ppl that would know.


    Wouldn't hurt to ask any local tuners. They usually are have contacts with builders in their area too.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I would go find some local car groups or shows and ask around. Hell even a track you might be able to get in touch with some ppl that would know.


    Wouldn't hurt to ask any local tuners. They usually are have contacts with builders in their area too.
    Around where I am at, car shows and tracks have been closed.

    I am trying to figure out how to ask some tuners that wont try to force me down a new LS3 assembly or a Jasper reman engine. It seems everyone wants to buy a finished product, instead of working to rebuild what one already has, and add some love. I understand some of it but I am able to understand risks of out of spec wear and tear; especially since I have kept up maintenance on the car the whole time.

    In my head, its refresh the engine, and other stuff, or buy a new Camaro SS; trouble is that this car is the car that has been there for the most important times of my life, and is as much family as one can be. I figure that if I let it go, I will always kick myself about it.

  8. #8
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    11,658

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

    There has to be a machine shop that is willing to do a refresh. I can't picture them not needing the money...


    I did mine, I also had some adult supervision while doing so and I've done a few SBC in the past that I at least had some experience. I did have a machine shop check the specs of everything prior to assembly so that I knew someone had looked at it with the proper measuring tools. Found out that while the block was within spec it's #8 cyl that had the hydro lock on it would probably be out of spec in a yr or so. So I had them bored .005 over, wish now I just went ahead and did a .030 bore and be a 408ci instead of 403ci. Oh well lesson learned.


    Assembly isn't difficult, it's the blueprinting (checking the specs) that is time consuming and a pita. That and filing the rings. The rings are the most PITA for assembly. If you f up the ring you're at a stop till the replacement comes in.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

    6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: Sway Bars, SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

    00 FB Vert - Stock

    Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    There has to be a machine shop that is willing to do a refresh. I can't picture them not needing the money...


    I did mine, I also had some adult supervision while doing so and I've done a few SBC in the past that I at least had some experience. I did have a machine shop check the specs of everything prior to assembly so that I knew someone had looked at it with the proper measuring tools. Found out that while the block was within spec it's #8 cyl that had the hydro lock on it would probably be out of spec in a yr or so. So I had them bored .005 over, wish now I just went ahead and did a .030 bore and be a 408ci instead of 403ci. Oh well lesson learned.


    Assembly isn't difficult, it's the blueprinting (checking the specs) that is time consuming and a pita. That and filing the rings. The rings are the most PITA for assembly. If you f up the ring you're at a stop till the replacement comes in.
    I hear what you are saying, I donít have the space (town home) or the time to do it myself; it would be interesting to do it though.

    So far, everyone that Ive talked to wants to sell a Jasper or ATK, thinking that because its 218k (mostly highway) on the ticker the engine must be junk. Ive done all of my synthetic oil changes (since 34k) every 3-4k, changed plugs, fluids, and filters at a more accelerated schedule than factory recommendations.

    I wouldnít be surprised if it needs a light honing, and rings and bearing are probably still working but have had better days but I don't see why it wouldnít be doable. I donít want a high stress build, just a nice cam with some good headwork (maybe even upgrade the heads for the right price), and then a dyno tune. I figure it should make for a decent one month or so job.

  10. #10
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    11,658

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

    How far you willing to drive?

  11. #11
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    11,658

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

    Manlove Auto Parts - Machine Shop

    630 S New St, Dover, DE, 19904

    (302) 674-2746


  12. #12
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    11,658

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

    Also check with LMP in Baltimore Area.

  13. #13
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,477

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Called a Baltimore area shop that does radio commercials all the time talking about installing reman engines.

    I got quote $6,800 for Jasper Remanufactured LS1 for the 02 WS6, and additional $700 for clutch parts.

    I know Jasper Engines don't the the worlds greatest reputation, and I would rather have my engine rebuilt. Is there a good shop in the area that will quote a rebuild of an engine, including pulling and installation? Would be nice to put a little more aggressive cam that would take advantage of the LT Headers and high flow exhaust.
    What shop was that?
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

  14. #14
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,477

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Also check with LMP in Baltimore Area.
    https://lmpofmd.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    What shop was that?
    I won't say the name but it is a shop that frequently does radio commercials in the Baltimore Area, professing specialty in replacing engines.

    Do you think that price is very steep for replacing the engine with a reman, and installing a clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing?

    I will send LMP an email this weekend, thanks!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    How far you willing to drive?
    Maybe an hour,or so, especially if its worth it!

  17. #17
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,477

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I won't say the name but it is a shop that frequently does radio commercials in the Baltimore Area, professing specialty in replacing engines.

    Do you think that price is very steep for replacing the engine with a reman, and installing a clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing?

    I will send LMP an email this weekend, thanks!
    Its probably on par guessing around 110 an hour. Admittedly I don't know what Jasper charges for a reman. You can always call around to others and see what they charge

  18. #18
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Its probably on par guessing around 110 an hour. Admittedly I don't know what Jasper charges for a reman. You can always call around to others and see what they charge
    Thats what I was figuring, considering replacement of all the hoses, motor mounts, and whatnot.

    I would love to back my way into a LS2 swap, Iíve seen some new aluminum short blocks for around 1,700.

    At the end of January, I should have some realistic levels of cash saved up to start marking serious calls; should be definitely be able to get froggy by end of March for sure.

    Wifes car is paid off in Febí

  19. #19
    Super Moderator pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    22,146

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    It would not surprise me in the least if the three suspected leaks are all just the oil pan gasket -- which is an easy swap.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,594

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It would not surprise me in the least if the three suspected leaks are all just the oil pan gasket -- which is an easy swap.
    It wouldn't surprise me, but at 218k miles, the engine is probably due for a refresh; a nice cam and some headwork wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help on finding a ballpark estimate for an over haul.
    By Questioner in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2018, 06:28 AM
  2. rebuild ls1...
    By bowtie1999ss in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 07:14 AM
  3. Rebuild or New??
    By TransAm11973 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
  4. Rebuild of LS1
    By planedad in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 07:20 PM
  5. ls1 rebuild kit????
    By 1bad99ss in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •