Thread: LS1 or LS6????

white
    1999 Z28

LS1 or LS6????

my engine is getting old and is developing a lot of small problems and i wanna know your opinions on whether i should rebuild my LS1 or buy a new LS6.... i live in california so im not even sure if an LS6 is even legal. Any help would be great since im kind of a noob

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmann_87 View Post
    my engine is getting old and is developing a lot of small problems and i wanna know your opinions on whether i should rebuild my LS1 or buy a new LS6.... i live in california so im not even sure if an LS6 is even legal. Any help would be great since im kind of a noob
    You can get a LS6 longblock IIRC for $3100 + shipping and then part out your LS1...

Pretty sure it is legal...

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Nothing illegal about a LS6 in cali. The LS6 is almost identical to the LS1...just small difference in the oil passages. But a good engine builder can work your LS1 to flow oil as good as the LS6. So bottom line, it's a moot point to try and get an LS6 block. All parts are interchangeable between the LS1 and LS6 too.

It all boils down to what your goals are with the car (motor) and how much money you have to spend. I suggest getting those two things in order now so you can make a solid plan. If you jump into things now, without knowing what's what, you may end up spending a ton more money to change the things you've just done now.

Hope that helps but do your research in the tech areas and ask questions. You'll get good information on here about it all.

white
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Nothing illegal about a LS6 in cali. The LS6 is almost identical to the LS1...just small difference in the oil passages. But a good engine builder can work your LS1 to flow oil as good as the LS6. So bottom line, it's a moot point to try and get an LS6 block. All parts are interchangeable between the LS1 and LS6 too.

It all boils down to what your goals are with the car (motor) and how much money you have to spend. I suggest getting those two things in order now so you can make a solid plan. If you jump into things now, without knowing what's what, you may end up spending a ton more money to change the things you've just done now.

Hope that helps but do your research in the tech areas and ask questions. You'll get good information on here about it all.
    thank you.....i want it to eventually stop being my DD and just be a race car, but thats a lil ways away from happening! oh and im going to be moving to san diego and im looking for people to help build my car, can you recommend anybody? sorry im asking so many questions

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Smog nazis only care about if your cam is to big and that your cats are in the stock location.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

If you get the LS6 longblock it has the better 243 heads and a bigger cam than a LS1. This is worth about 55 HP

If you need an engine anyway, may as well go with the LS6 crate engine, swap it in a weekend and be done with it.

There have been several here that have done the LS6 engine swap. One in particular told me his car dipped into the 12.40's at 112 mph with a 4L60E. He had mild bolt ons and had the car tuned.
    So there is quite a measurable improvement going to the LS6. Considering the compression is bumped up higher, better cylinder heads, more camshaft, better intake manifold, just to name a few. Yet it still complies with emmisions, it was a factory installed engine in the caddy and vette.

For those trying to stay emmissions legal I personally feel this is a great way to go for a bump in performance, since it's time for a motor anyway. As long as the smog police don't hassle you about the EGR missing from the intake, (as LS6's didn't have it) and knowing you have a 99 model. Other than that little visual difference,,,it would pass a sniffer test with flying colors.

I can honestly say I've been looking at one for my wifes car. When the time comes it's probably the route I will take, less down time.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

go for the LS6!!! i did and it was the best move i made...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if you go the LS6 route make sure you use your oil pan from your ls1 cause the ls6 pan will not fit

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Will Headers for an LS1 fit on an Ls6?

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Will Headers for an LS1 fit on an Ls6?
    Yes everything is interchangable. The wiring harness is identical, it's all plug and play. A very simple swap with the only real requirement being a custom tune to go along with it.

It would probably start and run fine with the stock LS1 tune, but to be optimized a tune is a good idea.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Sweet....

white
    1999 Z28

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you need an engine anyway, may as well go with the LS6 crate engine, swap it in a weekend and be done with it.

There have been several here that have done the LS6 engine swap. One in particular told me his car dipped into the 12.40's at 112 mph with a 4L60E. He had mild bolt ons and had the car tuned.
    So there is quite a measurable improvement going to the LS6. Considering the compression is bumped up higher, better cylinder heads, more camshaft, better intake manifold, just to name a few. Yet it still complies with emmisions, it was a factory installed engine in the caddy and vette.

For those trying to stay emmissions legal I personally feel this is a great way to go for a bump in performance, since it's time for a motor anyway. As long as the smog police don't hassle you about the EGR missing from the intake, (as LS6's didn't have it) and knowing you have a 99 model. Other than that little visual difference,,,it would pass a sniffer test with flying colors.

I can honestly say I've been looking at one for my wifes car. When the time comes it's probably the route I will take, less down time.
    SWEET thanks for all the info guys... big help

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Almost 3 months for a reply

white
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Almost 3 months for a reply
    haha yeah i hav a few diff email accounts and this one doesnt get checked enough but im trying to pay more attention to it haha like i said im a noob

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Smog nazis only care about if your cam is to big and that your cats are in the stock location.
    What are these?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    What are these?
    I'll give you the address to the ca state ref they would be more than happy to show you

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I'll give you the address to the ca state ref they would be more than happy to show you

Thread Information