Thread: Ls1 or Ls2

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

Ls1 or Ls2

Ok need some help here.My 00 ws6 isn`t my daily driver which has bolt ons.American racing headers slp exhaust slp lid slp underdrive pulley trans cooler.Car will get new paint begining next week but was looking into doing a top to bottom project with my ls1.Did some poking around an noticed to be able to get 500rwhp without juice is stretching it.Would it be worth it to jump to a ls2 build? 402ci???? any help would be much appreciated.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

If you have the money, going larger cubes is always your best bet. 402/8 is a great idea.

Edit : You dont HAVE to use a LS2 block. You can save some money (and add some wight) by going with a LQ series Iron block.

hugger orange

Plus the ls2 has some differences like cam position sensor (and some other small things) that you wouldn't have to worry about changing if you went with an lq4 or 9... Plus like said, you can go bigger cubes with the iron blocks

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

Iron vs alluminum

Why can you go bigger with an iron block? Also would my headers fit an ls2 an transmission 4l60

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Joels1 View Post
    Why can you go bigger with an iron block? Also would my headers fit an ls2 an transmission 4l60
    The iron block is heavier (about 85 lbs heavier) but stronger than the aluminum block so you can bore it out farther and not have to worry aboutthe block itself flexing and coming apart. If I am correct the ls2 is the only motor that has the cam sensor in the timimg cover(all others have it in the back of the block) so ls2 take its own cam and no others. The blocks externally are prety much the same and headers, heads, trannies can all bolt right up

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

ls2 iron block

Is the ls2 iron block just considered an ls2 iron block? or is it something like lq???? I`m really only familar with my ls1 but want to inquire about a 408ci build

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Joels1 View Post
    Is the ls2 iron block just considered an ls2 iron block? or is it something like lq???? I`m really only familar with my ls1 but want to inquire about a 408ci build
    The 5.3, and the 5.7 ls1 is aluminum, the 6.0 ls2 is aluminum, the 6.0 lq4 and lq9 are iron blocks... The lq4 has dished piston and lower compression than the lq9.

Lol I know, it gets alittle confusing

hugger orange

For a really good writeup, lok in the stickies in this section and read "ls1 info" should answer a lot of your questions

Thread Information