Thread: LS1 hotcam kit

Blue
    1999 Formula

LS1 hotcam kit

what are your thoughts on this. is it worth the money or is it just a waste of money(if so whats a good route for upgrading the cam and heads)

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

an ls1 hotcam kit is a great package for a daily driven car, but seeings you are in the sandbox right now, i respect anybody that gets sent there, because i spent a year there myself, I know that you should be able to set aside a decent amount of cash to get a nice heads/cam package with a custom grind cam.

Blue
    1999 Formula

ok i guess i should have put more info. im looking at a output of about 400 horses + or - about 25. and around the same for tourqe. i plan on doing then when i pull the motor for a rebuild cause i think the bottom end is hurting bad due to high miles and the previous owner was a pilot other mods i plan on doing is a 12 bolt rear end with 4.10 gears, rebuild the M6 Trans and upgrade clutch and flywheel, and do a full exhaust system. and some small stuff like upgrade intake maybe a little bigger injectors. better coils and plugs you know small stuff.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Is that flywheel 400 or wheel 400 theres a big difference. If its flywheel hp I'm sure the hot cam will get ya there wheel hp though I couldn't tell ya, on full exhaust you mean headers etc right?

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

If you are wanting 400 RWHP heads, cam, and headers should get you there. How many miles are on the car, because it usually isn't the mileage that kills you it is how the engine was ran over those miles. You are talking some serious coin with those mods. Those 4.10's with 400 RWHP is going to be a kick in the butt I can tell you that. My WS-6 has the 4.11's and it pulls like nothing else. If you rebuild the motor are you planning on going forged?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You wont see 400rwhp with the hotcam.

Blue
    1999 Formula

2001hawk-the engine has about 145k miles on it. i can only atest to the last 10k or so. im not sure what to do with the bottom end i mean at the moment im not wanting to S/C P/C or Turbo it.
    Slim-I Honestly dont know what i want as a performance marker. I guess Crank Horse Power for right now.(i shouldnt lose a LOT of power between the flywheel and rear wheels should I?

The bottom end rebuild was a question i was gunna pose when it gets closer to me getting it rebuilt. I honestly think the car was drove hard. i think the last owner did have fun with it but he didnt put a whole lot of money into it.(the dipstick is scorched like a mofo) i wont know if the block is savable untill it gets split.
    If the block is savable would after market stock crank,rods and pistons be a waste of money over power output?
    IF the block is not saveable stock wise with pistons. does it take well to stroking?
    Is a 383 storker a modest upgrade to the bottom end?
    What about average cost for labor?
    Is it a better alternitive to get a rebuilt LS1 and go from there for mods?

Im really unsure on where i want to take the car in terms of finished product power/torque wise, overall drive ability and such.

wait a min im sorry i got a little off topic. i started it in regardes to a cam/head setup.
    If Hotcam kit wont help that much what is a good mild cam setup?
    What about redoing the heads?

hot cam

The hot cam will net you 435 flywheel hp with bolt ons with stock push rods and stock rockers. The best thing about the hot cam is unlike onther bigger cams once you put in the ls6 valve springs you don't have to change them like bigger cams do.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath View Post
    The best thing about the hot cam is unlike onther bigger cams once you put in the ls6 valve springs you don't have to change them like bigger cams do.
    Why not use better valvesprings if you are changing them anyways??

Hotcam kit isn't enough cam anymore.
    Get a 224/224 type cam and daily drive it without a problem.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

I agree.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Because the hot cam doesn't need "better springs"

With the 224 the ramp up speed is what pounds the valve springs i guess it depends on how often you want to keep replacing valve springs 20,000 miles isn't enough for a daily driver. the more aggressive the cam the sooner the springs will need replacing.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

What we were trying to say was that with all the work that is involved in doing the cam and valve spring swap we would go ahead and go a little more aggressive as most people tend to not be satisfied and end up going bigger....we figured instead of doing it multiple times why not go a little bigger now and save some time and money, we were by no means trying to flame you. If you want the LS1Hotcam then go for it. But if you decide to go bigger later then dont forget we tried to tell ya ahead of time. Best of luck with your swap. If you need any help just post up. We are around.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

ANY cam needs a valvespring upgrade.

ANY cam needs a valvespring upgrade.
    I agree with a cam up grade you need spring upgrades. If o/p was to use hot cam ls6 springs are fine with it. Anything else is overkill.I agree the hotcam is a baby cam but is very low maintenance that is my point how much pwer do you want and how much wrenching do want to do to maintain a big cam.With high miles I would be careful with what I put in there.

Thread Information