Thread: ls1 help

Blog Entries

black
    98 trans am

ls1 help

I have a 98 ta that is in the process of being rebulit just cause its got 198k on it. The machine shop says the block is great the heads look good just need new seals and 2 connecting rods need replaced. I asked what all could I do internally to the motor to gain hp. He said anything I do I would have to have the compo redone or it will run like Shit. Any truth to this ? If not what can I do ?
    Last edited by herelizerd; 12-03-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I don't know what a "compo" is and I do not think you have one in the LS1 engine.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Blog Entries

black
    98 trans am

ls1 help

oops I ment computer

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any modifications that affect air flow through the engine generally require a tune. This includes heads, cam, intake, exhaust, compression, forced induction, etc... To some extent, the computer will adjust through feedback from the O2 sensors, however, there are tables -- particularly the Volumetric Efficiency, or "VE" table that have to be adjusted. Also, things like new injectors have to be accounted for. For most basic mods, a mail order tune from Frost is the way to go. Very reasonably priced and fast turnaround. For more serious mods, you'll need some time on a chassis dyno to dial your combination in.

Our engines respond very well to simple bolt ons. You can't really "bore" an LS1 like an old school SBC as they allow for only minimal cleanup in the sleeved cylinders. Stroking the engine is an option though and you can build a stout combination that way. Another option is to upgrade to a 6.0 iron block and build that up. What are your plans?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^
    in addition to what Jeff posted how restricted is your state? I know VA is close to Cali when it comes to cars.

The biggest question is Time, Money, Want vs Need.

Time - something you can do or need a shop to do it for you. You need this in a week, month, yr?

Money - How much can you throw at it? Cheap/Fast/Reliable - pick two, most times cheap & reliable doesn't go well. Smart purchases can save you money and still get good parts. If you need a shop labor will eat a lot of money, plan for this, also look for a shop that knows LS motors.

Want vs Need - Research & Planning are key here. Any good build starts with a blueprint & planning before the first part is bought. Quite a few of us here going through engine builds so if you need help ask. Not all parts go well with the needs of the build. Example - for DD or show cars a FAST 102 intake IS over kill, on a track or street car it's a need. I can go on & on and write a novel for this post trying to guess what you know and don't know, so I won't. Just ask and we will try to explain and help out as best as we can.

Blog Entries

black
    98 trans am

ls1 help

more less here's the deal. I got about 3g's to spend about 1g is gonna be spent at the machine shop he broke the motor down and said the block is great the heads look good just needs new seals just need to replace 3 connecting rods. so I want to get the biggest bang for my buck. also tired of hearing my wifes mouth about her 5.0 pushing about 350-370hp its been camed roller rockers bbk equal headers and I'm sick of hearing how bad ass it is. so like I said I want the most bang for my buck and to hopefully shut her mouth with 2g's

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A cam only with an LS6 intake, upgraded rockers, springs & pushrods, full exhaust and a tune? Not quite sure if that would get you there, but should be about in budget.

The 5.0 is a stout performer, but I agree... she needs to see your tail lights more often.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I was gonna say the same as pajeff02. Is the car an auto or stick shift trans? If auto, I would also add a stall converter (3000-3600 is a good street choice) to the list. Makes a HUGE dif at the track!!
    Last edited by RONS98TA; 12-05-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Blog Entries

black
    98 trans am

ls1 help

when doing any of the above stuff. how should I go about reprogramming the computer for the upgrades? I was told that would be necessary

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Some bolt ons like headers, intake can be adjusted with a simple mail order tune.

Major bolt ons like cam and heads require a more extensive tune. Most do with a dyno tune that runs about $500 with several dyno runs. Some tuners can do a street tune where they install a basic tune and monitor it as you drive. They then make adjustments with a laptop. Takes several drives to get it nail down. If you have a good tuner this is the best type of tune for driving. Dyno pulls/tunes are for max hard runs.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Go to TunedByFrost.com - Professional Tuning For Your LSx Powered Car or Truck. He has a great reputation for tuning and many people on this site have his tunes. He has a great turn around time (3-4 days normally) and very reasonable prices. I have sent my pcm to him more then once (I have change my set up more then once lol) and every time has been great. He can set you up with a good tune according to what mods you have done, and you can drive it until you get a dyno tune.

Thread Information