Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS1 head bolts

lime green
    89 camaro lq4 th400 and

LS1 head bolts

I just put a pair of patriot head on my 6.0 and touqed all the bolts to 22lbs ft. what is next i'm going to the dealer ship in a few min to see if they can give me some specs.[/B]

BK
    99 C5

LS1 head bolts are torqued to yield not Lbs-ft provided you have an aluminum block and heads.
    See ls1howto.com for torqueing steps.
    Last edited by cam99; 10-11-2007 at 02:43 PM.

NBM
    2000 Z28 A4 273 gears

With you running a 6.0 LQ4, thats an iron block right? It's going to be different than the LS1 aluminum block.You know these head bolts are only designed to be used one time, then you throw them away and buy new ones. Your going to need a bolt torque angle meter tool that will attach to your 1/2" drive breaker bar. On the aluminum block LS1 you first torque all bolts to 22 ft-lbs in the factory recommended sequence 1-10. Add 76 degrees of rotation to each bolt- again in the factory recommended sequence. Add another 76 degrees rotation to the long bolts (1-8) , while the two short bolts per head get 34 more degrees rotation bolts (9-10). Torque the top five 8-mm bolts to 22 ft-lbs beginning with the center bolt (bolts 11 thru 15). I would buy a service manual covering that 6.0 engine you have to find the exact specs. Also make sure you use some type of lubricant on the backside of the bolt thats going to be contacting the cylinder head. Good luck.

lime green
    89 camaro lq4 th400 and

that exactly what i got from the gm dealer ship down th e road im a little clocer to blast off now

lime green
    89 camaro lq4 th400 and

thanks guys geez thats tight i'm glad none of of those bolts broke

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

i know lots of guys use the bolts again...there is no reason not to.GM just wants to rape your wallet.Bolts don't go bad unless they are overheated ALOT,ask ARP if you doubt me.

2000 Camaro

you are never supposed to reuse torque to yield bolts over. They may hold for some but I have had some break when they were reused. That is why I only use ARP bolts. Now that you have them tight drive for awhile and check to make sure they are all still tight.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Hamrhead View Post
    you are never supposed to reuse torque to yield bolts over. They may hold for some but I have had some break when they were reused. That is why I only use ARP bolts. Now that you have them tight drive for awhile and check to make sure they are all still tight.
    sorry but i totally disagree,many use them over and go talk with arp about it,thats where i got this info.You're telling me you had head bolts break? i wanna see them!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    sorry but i totally disagree,many use them over and go talk with arp about it,thats where i got this info.You're telling me you had head bolts break? i wanna see them!
    Gm did use torque to yield bolts all over our motor's, Its not so much that the bolts will break but in the end they will not be torqued correctly and could lead to some iffy situations. For the price and the availibility its a wise decision to replace.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

I Know Thats What You Have Been Told But Its Bs!

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

bet i can prove it you.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Ok try this.....take a new head bolt and measure it with a mic,then go torque it to yield.Now loosen and remeasure it,bet its within spec.Ive seen other's check them and reuse them without any problems PLUS of course i would never advise someone to do something i wasn't 100% sure of.The only time i would NOT reuse them is if the engine was overheated.That will ruin them without a doubt.

2000 Camaro

I could really give a shit if you believe it or not. I have built several engines and some reused bolts broke. If I posted pics you would just find another way to argue it. If some one reuses the bolts and they don't break, good for them. If they do then so what my engine runs fine. There are many professional builders that do not recommend doing it but I understand you know more than they do cause you talked to and ARP rep.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

well you don't need to get all upset about it...but i'll bet you don't have any broken bolts to showi've heard this broken bolt bs time after time...but i aint never seen one...please whip yers out and show me ...lol.I'll apologize and never say a bad word about you EVER.But i'll bet you aint got any to show.I BEAN doing this for longer than yer alive,trust me i know what i'm talking about.By the way my finding are based on actual tests...yours are based on what?
    Last edited by Rivi; 10-14-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I BEAN doing this for longer than yer alive.

So you BEAN what 18 years old?

2000 Camaro

well you don't need to get all upset about it...but i'll bet you don't have any broken bolts to showi've heard this broken bolt bs time after time...but i aint never seen one...please whip yers out and show me ...lol.I'll apologize and never say a bad word about you EVER.But i'll bet you aint got any to show.I BEAN doing this for longer than yer alive,trust me i know what i'm talking about.By the way my finding are based on actual tests...yours are based on what?
    First of all I doubt you have been doing this longer than I was alive. 2 I will find the bolt and a copy of the bill from the machinist to get the busted part out of the block. It was in 2005 so I will have to do some digging to find the receipt! And it's BEEN. Now let's see some proof of age and that you've been doing this longer than I've been alive. I would truly be impressed if you have been doing this for 40yrs and you had to call ARP and talk to a rep to get an answer.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

You said i called arp..........yeah well when you find that "broken bolt" you take a picture showing the fracture then explain what you did wrong to break it.Bolts don't just break unless something is very wrong.Bolts don't magicly wear out because they are torqued one time either unless they are abused in some way.I';m 52,don't try bsin me.

2000 Camaro

So you've been doing this since you were 12! Who's BS'ing now. Act your age then! Where are your superior engine building examples? Pics, vids, results in the real world at the track? Or are you a 52 year old street racer in a over the hill crisis trying to relive his lost youth? As I stated earlier as soon as I would post a pic it would no longer be about the bolt you would argue something else, like what did I do to break it. Quite being retarded. If you have never experienced a broken bolt then go get ready for school before mom get's mad cause your about 14 then. You just proved your full of it with thoughtless assumptions.

2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Gm did use torque to yield bolts all over our motor's, Its not so much that the bolts will break but in the end they will not be torqued correctly and could lead to some iffy situations. For the price and the availibility its a wise decision to replace.
    J
    That is the point of not using them over! I just stated I have had them break. If there isn't even torque applied to the head by all head bolts you have the possibilities of some issues.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

put up or you know the drill.......................just as I thought,another BS story the bolts break.All these broken but no one knows where they are.

Thread Information