Page 1 of 19 12345 ... LastLast

Candy Apple Red
    1998 Z28 Camaro

LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do?

Hello everyone.

Let me start off by saying I am a noob. I admit that.
    Now that's out of the way, I have a z28 1998 camaro with an LS1 that has gone kaput and I am saving $4k towards rebuilding.

What should I do? I want as much horsepower as possible without blowing or using NOS. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I plan on spending the $4k on parts and labor. Thoughts on boring out and anything else?

- Jon

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The block still good?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Forged bottom end if the budget will swing it.
    Money well spent if you want a good platform for future mods.

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gottalikeexplosives View Post
    Hello everyone.

Let me start off by saying I am a noob. I admit that.
    Now that's out of the way, I have a z28 1998 camaro with an LS1 that has gone kaput and I am saving $4k towards rebuilding.

What should I do? I want as much horsepower as possible without blowing or using NOS. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I plan on spending the $4k on parts and labor. Thoughts on boring out and anything else?

- Jon
    Well you can't bore out a 98 LS1 at all. Just lite honing. I might would go with a used 6.0 takeout. Shave the heads and do a cam.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Black
    '05 GTO

Smile

can you define kaput, that could make a very big difference in possibilitys.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I doubt one can do a forged bottom end including labor for under 4K....maybe. I agree, the specifics are needed on the existing engine before anyone can make a suggestion.

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Honestly I'd look at buying a crate engine. It's a little more money but you wind up with a new engine and a warranty.

Dan

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashbird View Post
    Honestly I'd look at buying a crate engine. It's a little more money but you wind up with a new engine and a warranty.

Dan
    I agree.

You can get a brand new GM LS6 long block for $3400.

There's no way you're going to rebuild your LS1 to make any significant power for $4K.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I doubt one can do a forged bottom end including labor for under 4K....maybe. I agree, the specifics are needed on the existing engine before anyone can make a suggestion.
    He did say labor. I always think in terms of parts only.
    I do my own work. Probabaly not not possible for this $ including labor.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

everyone just wants a crapload of power. do you have a drivetrain that will handle power? which trans? what rear? what tires? any suspension?

why make a ton of power if you can't do ANYTHING with it?

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    everyone just wants a crapload of power. do you have a drivetrain that will handle power? which trans? what rear? what tires? any suspension?

why make a ton of power if you can't do ANYTHING with it?
    im sure we'll settle this on another thread later on down the road. Right now his motor is blown and he wants something he can drive instead of dumping 4k into the drivetrain just to stare at it on the side of the house because the motor, is still blown.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    im sure we'll settle this on another thread later on down the road. Right now his motor is blown and he wants something he can drive instead of dumping 4k into the drivetrain just to stare at it on the side of the house because the motor, is still blown.
    Hmm seems to be the situation im in. But i was think TSP LS7 427?

Black
    2000 SS

Find a used lq4 or lq9.... Throw a set of 5.3 heads a MS3 cam (or simular), Fast intake.... 450 rwhp 400tq

You should be able to do that under budget, and you can probably find most those parts used

Impounded
    i was told to stay away from used heads and cams.
    i was also told to get a custom cam for your own taste/application
    and anyways... i want a new engine...for that kind of money...id prefer a new engine that i know wasnt abused...and that has a warranty (which is one of the reasons why im in the situation i am now)

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I agree.

You can get a brand new GM LS6 long block for $3400.

There's no way you're going to rebuild your LS1 to make any significant power for $4K.
    I agree if u can get one for that much the warranty us a nice thing to have and if you want a little for power while the motor is out of the car you could install a new cam and springs. We just put a new cam,springs,oil pump, pushrods and gasket on a used ls1 we got out of a 02 Z28 were dropping in a 91 240sx. I have never done much work on my ls1 just my 5.0 due to the cramped engine bay and lack of exp with these motors but when it is out of the car cams and springs are rather easy to do with some rental tools from auto zone and a spring compressor we got off eBay for $15. There are plenty of web sites with step by step instructions with torque specs and videos. I'll admit my old 93 5.0 is still easier but it really wasn't a big deal and all went toghter quite well. Something you may wanna think about to have a little extra HP and easy enough a beginner like my friend who new nothing more than how to.change oil did with me supervising and helping here and there.
    Good luck

Black
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    i was told to stay away from used heads and cams.
    i was also told to get a custom cam for your own taste/application
    and anyways... i want a new engine...for that kind of money...id prefer a new engine that i know wasnt abused...and that has a warranty (which is one of the reasons why im in the situation i am now)
    We do it all the time.... You just need to make sure everything is in good order. What i posted was a budget build that will get you good power and still be reliable. Your best bet is going to be a crate LS6 like posted for $3600 since you want all new but remember as soon as you go a bigger cam your warranty is out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I agree if u can get one for that much the warranty us a nice thing to have and if you want a little for power while the motor is out of the car you could install a new cam and springs. We just put a new cam,springs,oil pump, pushrods and gasket on a used ls1 we got out of a 02 Z28 were dropping in a 91 240sx. I have never done much work on my ls1 just my 5.0 due to the cramped engine bay and lack of exp with these motors but when it is out of the car cams and springs are rather easy to do with some rental tools from auto zone and a spring compressor we got off eBay for $15. There are plenty of web sites with step by step instructions with torque specs and videos. I'll admit my old 93 5.0 is still easier but it really wasn't a big deal and all went toghter quite well. Something you may wanna think about to have a little extra HP and easy enough a beginner like my friend who new nothing more than how to.change oil did with me supervising and helping here and there.
    Good luck
    once you throw a cam.... warranty out the window

Impounded
    Well where can I find the LS6 for that price?
    what kind of numbers will I get with that LS6 anyways?

red
    2000TA

consider a 383 ls1 stroker kit from any ls vendor.or go to SDPC for long blocks.or look at a ls2 savage motor or take out.schwanke engine dose short blocks shipped for a good price.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Well where can I find the LS6 for that price?
    what kind of numbers will I get with that LS6 anyways?
    Crateenginedepot.com
    Posted via Mobile Device

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Can't post direct link,but check under goodwrench engines
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 19 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information