let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

lq plans and questions

i am planning on starting an lq4 build in the next few months. i gave up on the lt1. i wanna do a 3/4 gen motor. i am gonna use a used lq4 bottom end, l98 heads, carburetor style intake manifold, edelbrock carb(don't say a thing i like them). now the questions.

I will be changing from lt1 to newer engine, so will i need to get a new tranny? will the one i have work with it?

torque converter? if i can use the same tranny do i need a new torque converter?

what can the bottom end handle? i heard the block is good for tons of power from many people. but how are the crankshaft, rods, and pistons? i have heard that you need to upgrade to the arp bolts to hold any power in the bottom end. is this true?

now i know some people are gonna say the carburated setup is not good or whatever, but i know so much more about carburated tuning than fuel injected. i have been doing it for so much longer. so please no don't do that with it and all that. i am gonna just build this engine in my garage over time. it's not gonna be a put it together overnight and run it build.

hugger orange

everyone i talk to does recomend the arp bolts, but as for the other questions you might try posting in the classic/muscle car area.
    good luck with the build man!

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    everyone i talk to does recomend the arp bolts, but as for the other questions you might try posting in the classic/muscle car area.
    good luck with the build man!
    ok. i thought this would be the right place due to the internal engine thing, but whatever. i am buying a used engine soon.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    ok. i thought this would be the right place due to the internal engine thing, but whatever. i am buying a used engine soon.
    oh no you posted in the right spot, i just know there are some guys in there that have done swaps like your talking about

white
    94 camaro z28

oh no you posted in the right spot, i just know there are some guys in there that have done swaps like your talking about
    ok. do you have any idea about how well the bottom end will hold up though? i am thinking of running nitrous on it too.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

LQ4 in my car. Making damn near 400 hp to the wheels. I spin that fucker to 6000 RPM often. I dont know how much nitrous I would shoot at it. I would feel safe with 100 shot and a tune.

Get that motor, get some heads that flow, and ether an intake 90/90 or a nice carb set up like you want. You will have a torque monster. Honestly, if my motor was out of my car, it would be getting a stroker crankshaft and bored .030 over.

That why people buy these iron block LQ4's.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    LQ4 in my car. Making damn near 400 hp to the wheels. I spin that fucker to 6000 RPM often. I dont know how much nitrous I would shoot at it. I would feel safe with 100 shot and a tune.

Get that motor, get some heads that flow, and ether an intake 90/90 or a nice carb set up like you want. You will have a torque monster. Honestly, if my motor was out of my car, it would be getting a stroker crankshaft and bored .030 over.

That why people buy these iron block LQ4's.
    i was thinking about stroking it right off, but i just don't have the money to really. I don't have the money to do too much. i would like to have a streetable 500hp. that's what my goal is. i guess i would need the extra cubes though.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

500 flywheel HP could probably be attainable. Great flowing heads, and a larger cam... you could come close.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    500 flywheel HP could probably be attainable. Great flowing heads, and a larger cam... you could come close.
    from what i read the l98 heads with a "hot cam" is a 480fwhp setup. with a showroom cam it's worth 520fwhp, but needs large stall and different rear gears from what i read, so the hot cam would be better for what I want.

hugger orange

with some money you would be amazed how much hp you can get out of iron blocks and with a good tune they can still be very streetable

white
    94 camaro z28

with some money you would be amazed how much hp you can get out of iron blocks and with a good tune they can still be very streetable
    that's what i read. I am going carb though because i can tune it myself.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Have you really researched those L98 heads?

They flow great, but for some reason they don't perform at the track so well. I am sure shops are still working on figuring out the best cam and intake to feed them. Along with gears.

I am running the LQ9 block...which is the same thing. Stroked to 402. 531RWHP (640 or so at the fly). I think it is pretty streetable.
    The carb thing sounds like an interesting build....but why?

EDIT: Just saw the last post about tuning.
    Go fuel injection. Once tuned...it will be fine. No dicking with it later on.

hugger orange

oh ok thats right. it looks like summit racing has some nice swap parts and plugins to carb it.
    i have a 69 chevelle that i have been thinking about doing an ls swap in so keep us posted on how it goes for you

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Have you really researched those L98 heads?

They flow great, but for some reason they don't perform at the track so well. I am sure shops are still working on figuring out the best cam and intake to feed them. Along with gears.

I am running the LQ9 block...which is the same thing. Stroked to 402. 531RWHP (640 or so at the fly). I think it is pretty streetable.
    The carb thing sounds like an interesting build....but why?

EDIT: Just saw the last post about tuning.
    Go fuel injection. Once tuned...it will be fine. No dicking with it later on.
    well the whole time i meant l92, but i like carb. i have always liked carb. my camaro was my first fuel injected car i modded.

white
    94 camaro z28

oh ok thats right. it looks like summit racing has some nice swap parts and plugins to carb it.
    i have a 69 chevelle that i have been thinking about doing an ls swap in so keep us posted on how it goes for you
    I will when i can. It will be a while before I am finished though. I decided to go with a tsp rotating assembly for the extra handling i wanted and the big stroke i need to make the power i want... 408 on the way. I will post up when I have something worth posting though. i am still planning out what all i need to do the swap. it coming up to about 4500 for the engine and everything for the swap so far. we will see when i get more into it. i think it'll hit 5000, but I should have 550hp for that.

Thread Information