low oil pressure

I have 98 Z28 and normally the oil pressure is at about 40 at idle and around 60 at about 4500 rpms. But Recently I have noticed the 40 psi at idle but when im driving it the oil pressure drops as i give it gas probably about 15psi at full throttle but comes back up to about 45 or 50 psi once i let off. I put the car in netrual and the oil pressure is fine starting at 40 and goin to 60psi. I am thinking it could be the sending unit or some other type of sensor. Any advice would be greatly apriciated.

i had the same thing happening to mine,really puzzling.If i was cruzing at 60 mph it would drop 15 lbs to 40,then if i let off the pressure would shoot back up.Very odd.Mine stopped doing it so i never did find what was causing it,I've also seen others post with the same trouble.i wouldn't worry about it.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by instakiller View Post
    I have 98 Z28 and normally the oil pressure is at about 40 at idle and around 60 at about 4500 rpms. But Recently I have noticed the 40 psi at idle but when im driving it the oil pressure drops as i give it gas probably about 15psi at full throttle but comes back up to about 45 or 50 psi once i let off. I put the car in netrual and the oil pressure is fine starting at 40 and goin to 60psi. I am thinking it could be the sending unit or some other type of sensor. Any advice would be greatly apriciated.
    If this is a stock '98, the oil pumps on the 98-00 engines sometimes had problems and failed. Check the sender and if possible test with a mechanical gauge. If the pressure is really falling off, and there are no unusual noises coming from the engine, I would replace the pump with the LS6 oil pump.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

We have had this problem with quite a few of our customers ls1's. It is normally just a small piece of trash has gotten logeg in the pump and not allowing the valve to close under power thats why at idle it is fine. The only way to fix it is to full the pump and clean it out. I now this isn't what you want to hear but that is what is happening. If you replace it would replace it with that new melling oil pump. I have it in my TA and it is awsome. Jegs and summit both carry it. It is around 130.00.

Thread Information