MrMiracle

Looking for usable pistons.

Hello all you happy auto-folk. I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.

My questions are in regard to the large number of stroker rotating assemblies available online. GM High Tech had a long list of them recently. The one that particularly catches my eye is the SLP based one. A couple of things draw me to this combination:

Car Craft did an article about such an engine that managed to pull 580hp.

Its available as a standalone rotating assembly for $2600 on the slp website. A cast iron lq9 block can be had from scoggin-dickey for only $700.

$2600 looks like a good deal for a fully balanced 402 stroker assembly, but here's the kicker. As I look around on sites for the individual components that make up that kit, I find I can get them cheaper individually. The 4" Eagle crank goes for $780. Similar 6.125 connecting rods show up for $450. The only part that I have trouble finding is the 4" pistons.

You can see where I'm going. I'm looking to shave a buck or two off of costs. I'm used to doing a lot of technical work myself, and I can shop around for a good deal on balancing. Regular 4" small block pistons are pretty easy to find, but is there something unique about the gen 3/4 family? Can they use regular SBC pistons?

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

The pin diameter/location could be different on SBC pistons. I don't know the details about either, but if they do match, then you could get a set of 4" flat-tops and roll on.

Another thing to be conscious of is the skirt. I know the small skirt of an LS1 piston contributes to slapping, but it may be a necessity due to crank/block clearance.

I checked out what Mahle has to offer, but all they show in Jeg's is a 4.125" piston.

Thread Information