Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

looking to do heads and a cam

im looking to get a pretty good head and cam for the car. i dont want to blow the bank up, but $1600-2000 should be managable. ive seen a couple combos out there for that price range, but dont know if they are what i want.

the car is a dd so it must be streetable. i think the highest octane i can find around here is either 91-93.(ill update this after i get to the gas station and see what they have) i use shell v-power now i and dont want to have to use race gas/octane booster, or have to change springs every 20 k miles, 50k is a possiblity, but id rather not have to ever change them. i dont want to flycut the pistons either, so id like to have some decent piston to valve clearence.

i do want a somewhat choppy idle, but nothing too choppy. a car guy should be able to hear theres a cam in there, but not so much that your average person would think its missing/running like shit. i was looking at the TSP 228R (228/228, .588"/.588" 112LSA) with these heads.

with this set up would i have to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump, or will the be good enough till i upgrade the intake.
    i currently have full exhaust, thats it.

In the future i want:
    Intake prolly a fast
    bigger fuel injectors/fuel pump
    3.73/4.11 gears, either stock rear or 12 bolt/9inch
    beefier clutch/flywheel
    100 shot of nitrous
    SFC's and a couple other suspension mods
    the ram air hood/intake

i do not ever plan on running a turbo or supercharger.

it will probably only go to the track once or twice just to see what it runs.
    goal after all mods low 12's high 11's
    break the 400 rwhp mark without the nitrous

hugger orange

228/228 .570/.570 112lsa cam, a set of Comp 918s or PAC beehive springs a,d a used set of ported/milled 243s, chromoly pushrods should put you where you want to be.
    Figure
    $100 for head gaskets
    $130 oil pump
    $100 for good timing set

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    im looking to get a pretty good head and cam for the car. i dont want to blow the bank up, but $1600-2000 should be managable. ive seen a couple combos out there for that price range, but dont know if they are what i want.

the car is a dd so it must be streetable. i think the highest octane i can find around here is either 91-93.(ill update this after i get to the gas station and see what they have) i use shell v-power now i and dont want to have to use race gas/octane booster, or have to change springs every 20 k miles, 50k is a possiblity, but id rather not have to ever change them. i dont want to flycut the pistons either, so id like to have some decent piston to valve clearence.

i do want a somewhat choppy idle, but nothing too choppy. a car guy should be able to hear theres a cam in there, but not so much that your average person would think its missing/running like shit. i was looking at the TSP 228R (228/228, .588"/.588" 112LSA) with these heads.

with this set up would i have to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump, or will the be good enough till i upgrade the intake.
    i currently have full exhaust, thats it.

In the future i want:
    Intake prolly a fast
    bigger fuel injectors/fuel pump
    3.73/4.11 gears, either stock rear or 12 bolt/9inch
    beefier clutch/flywheel
    100 shot of nitrous
    SFC's and a couple other suspension mods
    the ram air hood/intake

i do not ever plan on running a turbo or supercharger.

it will probably only go to the track once or twice just to see what it runs.
    goal after all mods low 12's high 11's
    break the 400 rwhp mark without the nitrous

Yes I think that combo will meet your stated goals, however I would not put heads/cam on a car with an LS1 intake... that will really bottleneck the airflow. If you have not already, consider getting an LS6 intake to go with the heads/cam or wait until you can afford the FAST you mention. Otherwise you will have to pay for a tune 2X and that is a waste of coinage.

I have a 228R and love it, but on a 113 LSA. GREAT street cam with some lope to it.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i realize the ls1 intake will be a restriction, but the heads and cam will give me a pretty big increase in pickup and power. ive been searching for someone selling a ls6 intake off of a 01-02 ls1 but not having much luck. im trying to find someone who thinks they have the "worthless" ls1 intake and are selling it cheap.

red
    2000TA

check out the WS-6 store for good prices on H/C/I install kits.check out TSP for head and valve train combos.

SOM
    2002 SS

Aye don't believe some of the bad info about intake manifolds. Remember back in 1998 lingenfelter was doing heads and cam cars pushing 450-500 hp. Noone cried about manifolds. Sure it might give a little more power but so would the billion other little modifications that would have give more power. Stick with your ls1 intake unless you get an ls6 cheap .

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Site Sponsor linked below.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

im gonna make sure this is what i want. im pretty sure theyre not like a pair of shoes, if i decide i dont like them i cant just take them back.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

looking at a couple different heads, i think the ls1 exhaust ports are round, will going to the "D" shaped ports matter. the headers i have are round ports.

hugger orange

looking at a couple different heads, i think the ls1 exhaust ports are round, will going to the "D" shaped ports matter. the headers i have are round ports.
    No diference, plus after porting they are all round and match the header

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

im looking at either these or these

they say theyre already cnc ported and have the "D" exhaust port. if im going to have to port them myself or send em off ill grab a nonported set and go from there.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

is there a way to tell how much either will affect gas mileage. i realize when getting on it it will burn a lot more gas as more can get in, but for just driving around city/highway. i average about 23-26 a tank now. id like to not drop below 18-19 with the same driving conditions.

hugger orange

The 1st set you posted 97-98 should beable to take your valve covers and coil brackets. The 2ns set will need the newer center bolt covers and brackets. They are both decent heads, but I'd go for the 2nd set because of the higher flow and the higher compression.
    Example = going from 10:1 to 11:1 will give you a 3-4% increase in torque.

A better flowing head can actually increase your mpg and so can a slightly larger cam with low to no overlap. So its a win win situation

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

so with the second set i would need to purchase new valve covers and coil packs?
    can i still run pump gas on 11:1 CR i thought 10:5 was upper limits of premium.

hugger orange

so with the second set i would need to purchase new valve covers and coil packs?
    can i still run pump gas on 11:1 CR i thought 10:5 was upper limits of premium.
    You can reuse your coils, I'd hit the junk yard for center bolt valve covers and the bracks for the coils.

11:1 can be run with pump gas...I was running 11:1 with my old setup 93 octane, but sometimes ran 92

red
    2000TA

when dyno tuning your car,the tuner will carefully add timing,watching the knock sensor.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    when dyno tuning your car,the tuner will carefully add timing,watching the knock sensor.
    yup, I started with the stock timing tables and raised then till i got knock, then back the areas around where i got the knock back till no knock, then dropped the table down 2 degrees (I'm running SD, so I only use 1 timing table)

red
    2000TA

heads/cam/roller rockers WS-6 store $1895.

Thread Information