Red
    2000 WS6

Looking For Cam Advice

Well I guess it's finally time to do a cam swap on the old LS1. I have a 99 Trans Am with full cold air intake upgrades, less an aftermarket MAF, Pacesetter LT's w/ ORY, Flowmaster Exhaust. Just a few bolt ons and a few of the free mods. Now I guess I need to do the cam, but I really have no clue what I should be looking for. This is going to be a daily driver so I just really want something that sounds aggressive and gives me a mild hp gain that isn't going to cost me out the a$$. I'm planning on tuning, but not right after the install so maybe a cam that isn't going to ko my car until I can afford a tune. You guys have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

~Jeff

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

Is it an A4 or M6?

What gears do you have?

Also when doing a cam you will probably need to change the valve springs, pushrods, and maybe the lifters. While you are at it you should also put a pulley on it, an LS2 timing chain and a ported LS6 oil pump.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

if youre car is an automatic, stall it first. a stall in about the 3000-3500 is perfect for a daily driver.
    as for a cam, something along the lines of a 228/228 is what you are looking for. it has great street manners. its a mid range ca.
    when doing a cam youll need a whole cam kit and being youre car is a 99, get a LS2 timing chain.
    also wait till you have all the money to do a cam and tune.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    2000 WS6

I'm sorry, it's an A4 with stock 3.23's. I appreciate the advice. To do this upgrade right, how much do you think it will run me?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

my tci stall, trans cooler and shift kit ran me about 650 plus another 300 for install, cam kit installed was about 1300 and tuning is around 400.

White
    2001 Trans Am

hey got an 01 TA lookin at changin the cam to an m4 with hd springs and pushrods.
    found an article on GM hightech, they say 82 hp from the cam swap, is this B.S>

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

That's pushing it for just a cam swap but if you have decent heads and a good set of headers it's not out of the question. I've seen 450rwhp with just a 78 mm FAST intake, headers and a tune on an 02 Z06 that G-Force did. He was running the stock 243 heads though. I'd recommend a Patriot or PRC dual spring kit with hardened pushrods if you plan on any type of lift. We've seen over 15 sets of comp 918 springs including the new ones with the blue stripe break. 3 new 918 sets just recently. Just something to think about until they get their spring issue worked out.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mudnyeri View Post
    hey got an 01 TA lookin at changin the cam to an m4 with hd springs and pushrods.
    if not then damn close.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mudnyeri View Post
    by M4 do you mean the MS4 from TSP if so then I would say that I would have to agree. that is a big cam though. Probably shake the fillings out of your teeth at idle. lol.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaFiend View Post
    Well I guess it's finally time to do a cam swap on the old LS1. I have a 99 Trans Am with full cold air intake upgrades, less an aftermarket MAF, Pacesetter LT's w/ ORY, Flowmaster Exhaust. Just a few bolt ons and a few of the free mods. Now I guess I need to do the cam, but I really have no clue what I should be looking for. This is going to be a daily driver so I just really want something that sounds aggressive and gives me a mild hp gain that isn't going to cost me out the a$$. I'm planning on tuning, but not right after the install so maybe a cam that isn't going to ko my car until I can afford a tune. You guys have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

~Jeff
    I agree with the others put a stall in there first. When you get back to finding a cam I would get one that has under 230 duration and .600 lift and since it is A4 I would go with 114LSA. that should be tame enough for a daily driver yet still give you a real aggressive idle and some numbers you should be pleased with.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    by M4 do you mean the MS4 from TSP if so then I would say that I would have to agree. that is a big cam though. Probably shake the fillings out of your teeth at idle. lol.
    Yeah, that cam would be way too big for a daily driver. A 22x/22x with a 112 LSA cam is much more suited for daily use with a nice power gain.

Thread Information