Thread: Lifters

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Lifters

Hos do i pick wich lifters to get. To make it easy I will just stick with Comp's line of lifter. I am sure that there are alot of lifters out there that are better and worse but....

So how do I choose...

Ok lets look at my aplication

I want it to be bullet proof. I don't want to have any problems with them in the future. I don't want any noise form them. I will be running on a stock engine(aside form intake and exhaust) for a while but I want to have the option open to me to put in a new cam onoce i get the other parts that i want to get on it. So they will have to flexible in thier aplication; if that is possible. on the WS6project web site i see two sets taht catch my attention

1. 98-02 Comp Cams Pro Magnum "R" Hydraulic Roller Lifters
    2. 98-02 Comp Cams High Energy Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Ok what the differance. I went ot Comp's web site and the information provided to me.... well it sucks. but the only differance that i saw between the two was that the "R" versions have to have adjustable rockers. I was in the belief that the rockers where not adjustable on the 98-02 LS1s...is that corrects?

In addidtion. I read on a post somewhere on this forum that the lifters have to be adjusted before install? how do you adjust them? what things do you NOT want todo when installing them? Do i need new puchrods...what length?
    Should i replace anything else while i have the heads off? Do i need/should i get lifter reatiners(the plastic things taht hold them in place)

More questions sure to soon follow.

So I know that I have asked a broad question but any insite will get me going here. I just want to make the most of my money. Military doesn't get paid the big bucks ya know.

Also If there is another vendor that makes reliable parts I will look into them as well

I am sure that I will be asking all sorts of cam questions after i get this thing down pat. But one thing at a time right

Thanks

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

First, i would just save your money untill you get the cam. Its up to you. If you get Hydraulic there is no adjustments, all parts wear together and still maintain 0 lash. Only thing i know to do is soak them in oil before installing. Push rod length might vary, buy or rent a adjustable length push rod made for testing this very thing. I dont think this is a wise first mod. I dont beleive you state' having any? Comp is good reliable products, i almost chose to work there. But there are others. To make the most of your money def. hit up a good set on LT headers. Then work on getting some air in. The stock lifters are very good and capable of handlings some serious HP. Unless you have a collapsed lifter etc, Hold off on this.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

What is a tell tale sign of a collapsed lifter?

I understand what your saying about waiting. So what about what type to choose...err model type that is.. how do you know what to pick there? Lets say i get a new cam do i get new lifters and just get longer/shorter push rods? or does everything stay the same? Ho far can the valves go on these engines before the hit the piston....do they hit the piston ever? Can i get 1.8 ratio rockers with-out having to worry about everything else?

....ohh so many questions... I need to find a good book out there.
    Last edited by Phlash_riot; 10-05-2006 at 09:10 PM. Reason: adding

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Don't get the Comp R's. The tolerance on the preload is very tight, hence the need for adjustable rockers. Some have also grenaded on guys and have caused all kinds of problems. If going Comp, get the OE replacements. There are no adjustments prior to installation, other than to verify your preload with your setup and if you are changing other parts such as the heads then you should also check your wipe patter, which is a good idea on any account.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Pre load?
    Wipe patter?

I know I know...more questions

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Preload on the lifter is the amount that you depress the plunger in the lifter when it is "not" lifting the valve, or put another way, when it is on the cam base circle. Stock is 0.080"-0.100". Wipe pattern is the contact area of the rocker on the valve stem when going through one open-close cycle of the valve. You want this narrow and to the center of the valve. Check page 264-265 in this link, it will explain it with pictures much better than I can with words.

Valve Train Geometry

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Johnson makes lifters for 80% of manufactures and then they change the spring under the plunger or chenge the orifice bleed hole.

They are all VERY identical!!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information