Thread: Lifter problems

red
    2003 GMC

Lifter problems

Bought an 98 firebird with a LS-1 and 4L60 and been building a 33 ford with this combo. S&P did the computer and harness. Engine cranked and ran great. The problem I have is I have what sounds like a lifter tapping when it is cold. I have tried Lucus, and BG additive with no luck although it goes away when hot. The engine is stock other than what S&P did to the computer. I don't think the engine was well maintained as for as oil changes because of the tarnish under the valve covers. The car had 38000 miles on it when we took it out although it sat up for 3 years. The engine has good oil pressure and and has plenty of power for a 2500 lb. show car. I have read you have to pull the heads to get to the lifters. if I have to replace them. Any lifter better than another? Thanks for the help.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

LS7 lifters are the best to use. Yes, you do have to take the heads off, its not really that bad to, I have done it. Are you sure the noise you are hearing is not piston slap because these motors can be noisy when cold?

red
    2003 GMC

Noise

No I'm not sure but would a piston slap go away when it gets to operating temp.? It just sounds like an old school 350 that has a lifter leaking down when it sits overnight. I guess I am hoping for the lesser of the evils. Thanks for the help. Going to dive into it Monday and pull the heads. Thanks again, Neil

98 Formula
    06 duramax

If it goes away when the motor warms up then it's most likely piston slap which is very common with the LS1.

red
    2003 GMC

Done

Replaced lifters, pushrods, rocker arms and all is quite as a mouse. These injected engines just blow me away to tare it down to the short block and put it together and hit the switch and it runs. No more moving the dist. and fooling with a carb. for me. I guess this old man is converted. Thanks guys.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by dcwneil View Post
    Replaced lifters, pushrods, rocker arms and all is quite as a mouse. These injected engines just blow me away to tare it down to the short block and put it together and hit the switch and it runs. No more moving the dist. and fooling with a carb. for me. I guess this old man is converted. Thanks guys.
    what you were describing sounded to me like piston slap. Glad you got it worked out though. The LS1 is just a noisy motor when cold do to the aluminum block and deep skirts. The pistons will rock a little bit cold and slap the walls until everything heats up.

Thread Information