Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Z28

Lets play, Is my cam too big?

Okay, see sig for others mods. (just in case; Pace longtubes, dual cutouts, stock exhaust out the back, vig 3800 stall, 3.73 gears, all free mods, lid, etc)

I recently had a cam installed, and have had it back to the shop a few times for tuning. Each time it seems like we got it, but I am still stalling out and surging massively. I stall mainly at start, or when coming to a stop and braking, and that is the same time it seems to surge. Oh yeah, it is an A4. To get around peacefully I have to shift into N at a stop. This is not my daily driver, it is a 2002 Z28 w/ 24k miles on it.

Cam specs, 228/230 .585/.587 112lsa

Let me know what you guys think, I am getting pretty fed up with the car and sick of embarrasing stalls etc. Can this be tuned out eventually, or should I go with a smaller cam? I am debating almost going to a z06 cam/head combo because I want something that is much more streetable. I go to strip and want to be fast, but I enjoy it mainly on the street.

I know its out of topic, but does anyone have any experience with a bigger cam and this high of a stall converter? I was not too happy with the stall even before the cam, and since then it seems like it has been doing something where its going into lock up too early and when I coast from 50 or so it kind of shudders a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

That's a pretty big cam and stall, but a good tuner should be able to solve those problems.

There is either a problem somewhere in the motor or intake, or you need to get a new tuner. That cam should be fine.
    Jake,

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Depending on the cam and stall mostly, that will be a handful if your tuner is an "old-school" tuner who tunes by injector tables rather than going the mile to tune the VE with either extensive street driving with a wideband or a load dyno (not talking about WOT here). I would very likely tune that setup in closed loop speed density. With work, it should be very driveable without these issues.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

that cam isnt too big at all.

who has been tuning your car?
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    that cam isnt too big at all.

who has been tuning your car?
    no need to drag that in and make tension between the guy and his tuner (it's not me!) ...

Grey?
    78 BMW 320i with mods

My "OLD SCHOOL" experience would be to raise your idle speed to about 900 RPM. May not pass smog test!, however, safer to drive in stop-and-go conditions, with good brakes. Just my opinion, not solid advice.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    My "OLD SCHOOL" experience would be to raise your idle speed to about 900 RPM. May not pass smog test!, however, safer to drive in stop-and-go conditions, with good brakes. Just my opinion, not solid advice.
    i was thing the same to raise it up.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

ms4 with a 4000 vig stall.. 3.23s.. DD it a lot everyday... surges every once in a while, and its loading up sometimes.. and bucks around 50... but not a pain to drive at all... no stalling or anything.. base tune..... dyno tune coming in middle next week..

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

A good tuner should be able to fix that problem cause you have a larger cam but not that big and your lift isn't that high. Like said prior, raising the idle should correct that problem, but won't sound as choppy as it does now. I'm having the same problem with mine right now and I've got a tune scheduled to fix the problem. My cam is a 232/236 with a 644 intake lift.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I have nothing but high regard for the tuner so it really wasn't whether he can or not just wondering if this is too big of a cam. I guess i'll just send it out for tuning again. Thanks.

NBM
    1998Z28

No its not to big of a cam. I'm running a Vigalante 32-3400 stall with the MS4 cam and I don't have any problems driving my car daily to work. The only time I had problems with it surging was when my MAF got dirty and a $5.00 can of CNC MAF cleaner took care of that.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I had the same prob with my cam. I made some small changes in the main ve table and raised my desired air flow tables up some and it fixed the prob.

black

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    I have nothing but high regard for the tuner so it really wasn't whether he can or not just wondering if this is too big of a cam. I guess i'll just send it out for tuning again. Thanks.
    dude, i wouldnt hold him in too high of regard. your cam is nowhere to big.
    the problems you are having are simple tuning issues.

black

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    no need to drag that in and make tension between the guy and his tuner (it's not me!) ...
    your correct. whoever is tuning his car for one reason or another just isnt getting done right.
    i see hes in OH, i would take it to EPP in indiana.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    A good tuner should be able to fix that problem cause you have a larger cam but not that big and your lift isn't that high. Like said prior, raising the idle should correct that problem, but won't sound as choppy as it does now. I'm having the same problem with mine right now and I've got a tune scheduled to fix the problem. My cam is a 232/236 with a 644 intake lift.
    Do you get to Brooklyn Park often, if so, I could try to make some changes for you for free. I have efi live and I think I have unlimited credits for it. As long as i can connect to your computer, I should be able to help you out.

NBM
    98 formula

I drive an A4..H/C/I car too,and my cam is a 232/238 6xx 6xx 111+2lsa...No stalling at lights or stops..I'm in Dayton Ohio.If you need a tuner let me know and I'll pm you his number

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

223 227 .637 .640 110 LSA................starts and runs fine.............my tuner smoothed it out

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Magic Stick V.3 237/242 .603/.609 3800 stall, 4.11, stock heads, LS6, pacesetters, True duals, 42lb injectors etc. in my Z. It would buck a little at 30-45 mph in OD and lockup, but other than that, it would start with me out of the car, I could sit at a stop light with the air on and never stalled. 800-900 RPM idle all day long. Drove it 200 miles every weekend. Tuner does not have something right or there is something wrong somewhere else.

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

Big cams are going to surge a little bit at low rpm's....but your cam isn't that big. Make sure they tune it on the street AND on the dyno

Thread Information