Red
    !998 Z28

Knock from bottom of engine

Hi
    I have a 98 z28 and the engine has a bad knock from the bottom end. I am trying to decide what to do. I have a budget of $3000. Should I get a long block? Should I rebuild the motor I have now? If I rebuild it what should I do to give it a little more power but stay in my budget?

What do you guys think?

Chris

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Um, that gets stickey cause you never know how much damage has been done. If the crank can be polished and rods machined then you put new pistons and rings in rebuild the bottom end and you might have enough to do a cam and some head cleanup as well as a tune. All depends really and you wont know untill it is torn apart and checked by the builder.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Could just have the bottom end fixed and throw a blower on it. How many miles are on it.

Red
    !998 Z28

The car has 110,000 miles. Thats why I torn between long block or rebuild.

C-

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Are you in Cali? If so I am going to have to let other members pipe in here cause I don't know crap about cali sniffer tests. I do know the best mod that wont hurt sniffer tests is boost.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

A big part of your budget depends on wether you will do the yankout/ install or pay somebody....

Red
    !998 Z28

Going to pull and strip to long block my self. I don't have the experience to rebuild my self.

C-

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Thumbs up

in my line of work turning engines into true 6 second dragsters I would have to say if you can get a deal on an engine then go for it if you want to rebuild your engine then i would go for it depending on your blocks condition with100+ k that many miles im very concerned with your Blocks iron liners are there any cracks in them ? are there any blemishes on the iron liners ? are there any scraches on the liners ? have you taken the block apart yet ? there are many variables that come into play when making a old block new agian . agian in my expertise if you want to go 383 $2200 bottom price with install reusing the stock crank is good over 1000Hp with the stock iron liners thats as far as you can go if you want 400 + ($3500 with all new internals plus the new Crank to make it more than 400 cubic inches) cubes you need new iron liners let me know and i can help you build a Beast of a motor( street , or Racing whichever way you go Let me know what you are doing with this engine and what the results of the tear down are .
    Good Luck ,
    Warren Jones
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-05-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Blocks

Thread Information