RV-10

Intermittent missing

My LS1 has suddenly started missing intermittently. It doesn't start until the engine warms up, and then I hit a high rpm. After that, it begins to run rough, even down to idle. After cool down, it's fine until it warms up and high rpm.
    I've changed all the fuel filters, and looked at the plugs. I'm not getting any codes. I'm thinking that my next thing to do is one, or all, of these three:
    Change plugs
    Change plug wires
    Possible clogged injector
    Any opinions out there?

John Goodman

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is the SES light on? Have you scanned it for codes?

RV-10

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Is the SES light on? Have you scanned it for codes?
    The first thing I did. The light is working normally, and there are no codes. I'm narrowing it down to the injectors for now. I did notice that the Crankcase vent line on the rear had disconnected - that could possibly cause a lean mixture at high rpm, but who knows....
    Thanks for the reply,
    John

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I'm thinking coil packs.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Upon installing the new ignition wires - you should hear/feel one "click" at the plug and two "clicks" at the coil pack. Does not hurt to go back and double check your connections.

RV-10

Upon installing the new ignition wires - you should hear/feel one "click" at the plug and two "clicks" at the coil pack. Does not hurt to go back and double check your connections.
    I'm saving the ignition wires for last, so that I can eliminate any fuel issues. I will check the connections again, Thanks for the hint. Turns out that I just got a call from the shop that cleaned, and tested, my injectors - they were in bad shape, and he had to clean them three times. I'm picking them up today.
    Right now I've got another problem. One of the retainer clips on an injector was missing (may have never been there). I'd like to get a new clip, but the local Chevy dealer said that I couldn't find one within 100 miles (he checked). They haven't had that style since 2002. Forget AutoZone, etc. I might try a junk yard
    John

98 Formula
    06 duramax

search "fuel injector clip" at rock auto....you can buy the whole connector there for less than $10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In light of the fact of your "dirty injectors" it would be a real good idea to run the TC-W3 regiman. Buy a bottle of TC-W3 2 stroke oil and run it at a ratio of 1 ounce per 5 gallons of fuel. The benefits of doing this include adding lubricity to the fuel, which nowadays has a 10% ethanol content, better mileage, and it also has cleansing properties for injectors, valves and combustion chambers. We have a lengthy thread on here and many members, myself included, run TC-W3 in their cars. In fact, I run it in all our cars including the daily drivers.

RV-10

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    search "fuel injector clip" at rock auto....you can buy the whole connector there for less than $10.
    I had tried Rock Auto before, but didn't realize that the search engine would find words, as well as the stated "part number."
    They definitely have some that could work, I'll give them a try - Thanks.

Concerning the other replies - I'm reluctant to use any additives. The GF-822 filter/pressure regulator I use has a paper filter in it, and those injector cleaners are supposed to do paper filters damage. Also, I'm running 100 octane leaded fuel a lot, and I'm not sure the fuel & additive would get along.

John

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are you tuned for 100 octane fuel?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Are you tuned for 100 octane fuel?
    If not, that's probably doing more negative than good.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My friend with the Dart does this. We go to the track and he promptly dumps super high octane fuel into his car and starts making passes. I have tried to explain that he is actually hurting performance.

RV-10

Actually, I AM tuned to 100 leaded fuel. I especially like it because it stores for a long time, won't foul injectors, and requires no additives.
    By the way, I found the missing injector clip, so it must have dropped off on my table when i removed the fuel rails.
    I replaced the plugs and leads with new stuff from Summit, but it's still doing it. That takes me to the coil packs. Is it worth testing for a bad one, or simply replace the whole set?
    John

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Swap the coil around with another one and see if the problem follows the coil.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It would be nice if you could narrow it to a cylinder to save some work. Are you getting codes for misfires?

RV-10

Actually, I'm not getting any codes at all, but all I have is an ALDL connection. Swapping the coils around won't help, because I'll still get the missing, just on a different cylinder - that I can't find. So, I've ordered a set of 8 new coils. Should get them Tuesday. Got a pretty good price on e-bay.
    John

Thread Information