Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

impact wrench on crank bolt

Not sure if this is the right section but how much ft lbs/tq does the impact need to remove the crank bolt? My air impact isn't budging the bolt at all but it has only like 200-250ish or so. I was looking at buying a battery powered one that has 475 ft lbs, should that be enough?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

98 Formula
    06 duramax

save your money....put the car in gear or block the flywheel and use a breaker bar with a piece of pipe.

Black/ Silver

Yeah the problem is I can't get to the flywheel. I have to remove this to get to it right? The cylinder like shaped thing.

I can't get a socket around one of the bolts because of some plastic that is rubbing up against it. That and it appears to be really close to the trans. Can I put an a4 into gear? I didn't think you could or was that for if it was an m6.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-26-2012 at 09:04 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's the starter......yeah....it'll have to come off. On an auto you have to wedge the flywheel to keep it from turning. I used a couple big screwdrivers.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's the starter......yeah....it'll have to come off. On an auto you have to wedge the flywheel to keep it from turning. I used a couple big screwdrivers.
    Okay I wasn't sure if that was part of the starter, I already removed the half that bolts into it. Guess I will try hammering the socket that physically fits the bolt but not the space on.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-26-2012 at 10:47 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Okay I wasn't sure if that was part of the starter, I already removed the half that bolts into it. Guess I will try hammering the socket that physically fits the bolt but not the space on.
    huh? If you're talking about the starter I wouldn't be hammering that at all.....if you break off the piece the starter mounts too you're in a world of shit.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

I would strongly recommend acquiring a flywheel holding tool. Remove the starter and replace it with the tool. I used a breaker bar and pushed it with my foot while holding on to the frame of the car. I'm probably at least twice as old as some of you and this worked for me. It should be much easier for you young guys....

Black/ Silver

Not hammering the starter but the socket that goes on the bolt. One of the bolts I can't get the correct size socket around it because the socket rubs up on this plastic piece that is between it and the trans and it is stopping the socket from seating on the bolt. When I say hammering it is more of tapping not whacking. I will take a picture tonight and show you guys.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-26-2012 at 01:18 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
    I would strongly recommend acquiring a flywheel holding tool. Remove the starter and replace it with the tool. I used a breaker bar and pushed it with my foot while holding on to the frame of the car. I'm probably at least twice as old as some of you and this worked for me. It should be much easier for you young guys....
    where did you find a tool that would work? The only tool I found wouldn't work so I just wedged a couple screwdrivers in there to hold it.....worked fine for me.

Put a socket an breaker bar on the crank bolt an hit the key an let the breaker bar hit the frame it it will come right off DO NOT TRY TO HOLD ON TO THE BREAKER BAR !
    2002 tahoe 5.3L CAI, tr224 112lsa cam, ls6 springs, 10.4mm plug wires, monster trans stall converter 2,300-2,500 rpm, cat delete, flowmaster exhaust, custom tune by wayne hartwig

Thread Information