Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I have a HUGE problem! HELP!!!

I got home from work and decided to start my car after a 5 day nap. I turned the key, and it felt like the car jumped, but it didn't start. I tried again and it would just click so I figured it was the starter. I went out 5 min. later and it starts up, but now it's making this terrible knocking noise, and it just gets louder and faster with higher rpm's. So one by one I take off each injector, but that did not solve the problem (I figured maybe a stuck injector...?).

Here's what else I think it might be:
    1.) Maybe one of my coil packs isn't working, and I'm getting no spark on a certain cylinder, causing it to knock...(haven't got to check that yet)

2.) My starter gear is like halfway engaged and causing the terrible noise.

3.) Worse case scenario....I spun a rod bearing!!!!!!?????

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
    Thanks!

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

well if my battery is not connected properly it will tick instead of starting then i had to tighten it and my car starts and runs fine. Are you getting Oil Pressure?

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I got home from work and decided to start my car after a 5 day nap. I turned the key, and it felt like the car jumped, but it didn't start. I tried again and it would just click so I figured it was the starter. I went out 5 min. later and it starts up, but now it's making this terrible knocking noise, and it just gets louder and faster with higher rpm's. So one by one I take off each injector, but that did not solve the problem (I figured maybe a stuck injector...?).

Here's what else I think it might be:
    1.) Maybe one of my coil packs isn't working, and I'm getting no spark on a certain cylinder, causing it to knock...(haven't got to check that yet)

2.) My starter gear is like halfway engaged and causing the terrible noise.

3.) Worse case scenario....I spun a rod bearing!!!!!!?????

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
    Thanks!
    maybe its just because you havent started it in a while and it's taking a while for the oil to work its way up. especially if its cold outside.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
    well if my battery is not connected properly it will tick instead of starting then i had to tighten it and my car starts and runs fine. Are you getting Oil Pressure?
    I can't tell and I haven't been able to tell for the last 5 months...I broke off my oil pressure sending unit, and when I replaced it, my guage read above 80, and still does. My mechanic said not to worry, prolly just a short in the wiring. But like 2bowtiesandabird said, maybe it's just that it's been so cold that the oil isn't up in the cylinders yet. I didn't run it for more than like 2 min. yet.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

I can't tell and I haven't been able to tell for the last 5 months...I broke off my oil pressure sending unit, and when I replaced it, my guage read above 80, and still does. My mechanic said not to worry, prolly just a short in the wiring. But like 2bowtiesandabird said, maybe it's just that it's been so cold that the oil isn't up in the cylinders yet. I didn't run it for more than like 2 min. yet.
    i'd let it idle for a while, hell if it's something major like your talking there is nothing you can do anyway. but i'm willing to bet after a couple minutes it will clear up. mine is a little noisy on start up, but our cars are famous for that anyway.

Black
    2000 Z28

I think that the cold thing pretty likely. I haven't started my camaro when its been below freezing recently, but a couple weeks ago I started my 300zxTT up after it has sat for probably 2 weeks in the cold. It took a while to warm up, and while it was warming up, was making a hell of a lot of racket. Once it got warm though, she was purring like a kitten and breaking the tires loose when the turbos spooled up.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by gashkerwin View Post
    I think that the cold thing pretty likely. I haven't started my camaro when its been below freezing recently, but a couple weeks ago I started my 300zxTT up after it has sat for probably 2 weeks in the cold. It took a while to warm up, and while it was warming up, was making a hell of a lot of racket. Once it got warm though, she was purring like a kitten and breaking the tires loose when the turbos spooled up.
    I found out it's the clutch and or flywheel. I dunno what exactly, but I'm gonna try and look at it this weekend. The noise gets worse when I press in the pedal, and when I shift the noise jumps up, along with the rpm's, and it feels like the clutch is only halfway engaging.

Black
    2002 Ram Air Trans AM

my car does they same thing i haven't started it in 4months and i started it last weekend and is was ticking like hell till it warmed up then it was fine. it could be ur throw - outbearing making noise they r know for that to hjow many miles on it ?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 02ls1ram View Post
    my car does they same thing i haven't started it in 4months and i started it last weekend and is was ticking like hell till it warmed up then it was fine. it could be ur throw - outbearing making noise they r know for that to hjow many miles on it ?
    78,000 miles, and I've noticed lately that I can't bark my tires in 2nd gear anymore, so I believe my clutch is on it way out. Well, either way, I have to get in their, so when I rip off the tranny I'm going to replace the slave (comes with throwout bearing) clutch, flywheel, and probably master cylinder just because I'm already in there.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

78,000 miles, and I've noticed lately that I can't bark my tires in 2nd gear anymore, so I believe my clutch is on it way out. Well, either way, I have to get in their, so when I rip off the tranny I'm going to replace the slave (comes with throwout bearing) clutch, flywheel, and probably master cylinder just because I'm already in there.
    out of curiosity, what is the cost of a clutch in our cars for a shop to do the whole thing?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

ok worst case scenario is that its your transmission. i had that same ticking nose, the higher the rpms the louder it gets. does it sound like something is roling or bouncing around? if you havent replaced your trans and at 78,000 miles is tellin me this, your transmissions bearings just went to shit and there rollin around in side the case, 2nd like you said your clutch is going out the door as well, and ya while your down in there, you mise well replace the slave and master cylinder. my case sounds very similar to yours. 4 days after i bought the car, the trans, the clutch and slave cylinder al went in one big happy package. transmission brand new for our cars if its a sixspeed, your lookin at $2600 dollars un less you do it yourself and the clutch...well i knew a buddy at autozone and got a clutch over 60% off. and it was high performance. slave cylinder is between 70-100 bucks. get back to me with more on your T/A.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    out of curiosity, what is the cost of a clutch in our cars for a shop to do the whole thing?
    Well I'm lookin at the Ls7 clutch and flywheel kit, a new slave, and master cylinder and it's all like $700ish for parts. I know I was lookin to get a clutch installed in my ranger, and I got a bunch of quotes around $700-$1000 bucks for new clutch and labor, so I did it myself for about $300.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    ok worst case scenario is that its your transmission. i had that same ticking nose, the higher the rpms the louder it gets. does it sound like something is roling or bouncing around? if you havent replaced your trans and at 78,000 miles is tellin me this, your transmissions bearings just went to shit and there rollin around in side the case, 2nd like you said your clutch is going out the door as well, and ya while your down in there, you mise well replace the slave and master cylinder. my case sounds very similar to yours. 4 days after i bought the car, the trans, the clutch and slave cylinder al went in one big happy package. transmission brand new for our cars if its a sixspeed, your lookin at $2600 dollars un less you do it yourself and the clutch...well i knew a buddy at autozone and got a clutch over 60% off. and it was high performance. slave cylinder is between 70-100 bucks. get back to me with more on your T/A.
    Nothing bouncing around, just a really loud ticking noise that gets louder with rpm's. And it gets louder when I press in my clutch pedal at a stop, and when shifting.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Nothing bouncing around, just a really loud ticking noise that gets louder with rpm's. And it gets louder when I press in my clutch pedal at a stop, and when shifting.
    its hard to diagnose anything something like that, but mine was different. now that you brought up that clutch deal, it sounds different now. i dont know man but i hope you figure it out

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    its hard to diagnose anything something like that, but mine was different. now that you brought up that clutch deal, it sounds different now. i dont know man but i hope you figure it out
    Yea I know, but thanks for everyone's help! I think it's something with the clutch system, i.e: throwout bearing or spring on the clutch disk. I've spoken with a friend and my uncle, who are both mechanics, and they've also concurred that it is in the bellhousing area, and we can't see anything rolling around through the inspection plate. Thanks again, and I'll try and do a write up with pics when I tear her apart.

BLUE /
    2005 GTO TURBO STROKER

Angry

G'day 01ws6er i have found that my customers cars have the same jerking
    and ticking sounds , i have found the clutch plate sticks to the flywheel and
    or the presher plate and due to no fault of yourself, some times it vacumes it
    self , after trying again latter it works , by pressing the
    clutch in with a new ticking sound, sometimes the clutch plate / presser plate
    becomes faulty( new unit needed ).
    regs ADZ

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by ADZ View Post
    G'day 01ws6er i have found that my customers cars have the same jerking
    and ticking sounds , i have found the clutch plate sticks to the flywheel and
    or the presher plate and due to no fault of yourself, some times it vacumes it
    self , after trying again latter it works , by pressing the
    clutch in with a new ticking sound, sometimes the clutch plate / presser plate
    becomes faulty( new unit needed ).
    regs ADZ
    Hey thanks man. That's the general concensis, so I'll be tearing into it as soon as I get the parts. Welcome to the site!

600hp sube power sancar
    68 panel,

something else to consider fuel injector leaked fuel into cylinder when you started it it hydrolocked that cylinder and bent a rod. just a possibility a way to check it is to disconnect the coil packs one by one till the knocking noise gets softer and then run a leak down test on that cylinder

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by vytamenc View Post
    something else to consider fuel injector leaked fuel into cylinder when you started it it hydrolocked that cylinder and bent a rod. just a possibility a way to check it is to disconnect the coil packs one by one till the knocking noise gets softer and then run a leak down test on that cylinder
    That was actually one of the first things I tried. I thought maybe it was spark knock due to a frozen injector. I had the valve covers off yesterday, and ran it to see if I bent a pushrod or broke a rocker, and I couldn't figure it out, so I called a friends dad (who's a mechanic) and he came over and within like 10 seconds says it's my clutch.

I didn't tell him hwat I thought it was either, just started it up and let him do the diagnosis.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Alright, well I got the ls7 clutch kit and new slave put in, and it holds great, with a nice and easy release. The only problem is, that I still have a ticking noise coming from somewhere....???

I put the car on jacks and got under to listen to it, and it's quiet at idle and goes up a little bit as the rpm's go up. When the clutch is pushed in, the noise gets really loud, and it sounds like it's coming from inside the bellhousing. Could my starter gear not be coming back far enough, and when I push in the clutch the flywheel and starter gear collide..?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information