Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I decided (i will rework my own heads) any tricks

So I have a bent vavel or 2 on one sinde of my engine this I know.
    So I will do my own rework by remove the head.

What I wish to know if any tricks to the removal or install. (the rest of the valve rework I will learn as I go), but I wonder if I need to do any prep work to any water or oil passage ways and or do I clean the piston tops, etc...

I hopefully will just purchase the copm cams gen 3/ls1/ls6 rpm valvetrain up[grade kit-for stock cam (pn 006384) on LMPerformance.com site.

I imagine once I get the heads off, I clean them good, and if no bad wear is seen, install these parts with proper tools, new gaskets, etc.

But I am fearfull that after doing the valvetrain rework/upgrade if I just bolt the stuff back on or not. I have the main bok on my 2000 z28, so I know of the torque sequences and all. I just wonder while the heads are off if I need to clean piston tops or any oil or water passages in block or not.

Now should I see a valve that is way bent and any damage to the valve guides, etc....I may just pick up some patriot or dart 205cc heads and pop them on...

Thanks all..

Ted

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post
    So I have a bent vavel or 2 on one sinde of my engine this I know.
    So I will do my own rework by remove the head.

What I wish to know if any tricks to the removal or install. (the rest of the valve rework I will learn as I go), but I wonder if I need to do any prep work to any water or oil passage ways and or do I clean the piston tops, etc...

I hopefully will just purchase the copm cams gen 3/ls1/ls6 rpm valvetrain up[grade kit-for stock cam (pn 006384) on LMPerformance.com site.

I imagine once I get the heads off, I clean them good, and if no bad wear is seen, install these parts with proper tools, new gaskets, etc.

But I am fearfull that after doing the valvetrain rework/upgrade if I just bolt the stuff back on or not. I have the main bok on my 2000 z28, so I know of the torque sequences and all. I just wonder while the heads are off if I need to clean piston tops or any oil or water passages in block or not.

Now should I see a valve that is way bent and any damage to the valve guides, etc....I may just pick up some patriot or dart 205cc heads and pop them on...

Thanks all..

Ted
    im interested in this as well.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

go to ls1howto.com and read their head/cam install in there. It's a pretty good write up. I did clean the carbon off the tops of my pistons and you'll want to clean the deck of all the graphite and make sure there's no coolant in the head bolt holes before putting the heads back on. What I did was take the water pump off then stick a shop vac up to the ports on the head and sucked as much water out of the heads as I could prior to removing them. That keeps the mess to a minimum. Other than that it's pretty straight forward and the install write up handles it pretty well step by step.

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

sweet...this is the data I love.,.,,and I got a shop vac too..so this helps...thanks

red
    2000TA

check around with all the venders for the best price on a valve train up grade kit. who will do your valve job?you can buy a set of low mileage #241 heads for $150.

How did you bend the valves. If it was valve float and the engine was runing when this happend the valve seats are probaly pretty beat up. If this is the case a another set of usable 241's would be cheaper than a good valve job and then you have to add the new valves, springs, guides, and pushrods ect. The cheapest and easiest way out is to get a set of complete used heads.

red
    2000TA

check all of the ls forums for low mile #243s heads.the stock iron guides are pretty durable.check the valves for leaks buy pouring solvent down the runners.you can lap the valves if the valve leak is very small.go to TSP for valve train combos,seals,springs ,push rods.

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Thanks for all the data,,,
    I should have the head out this week end...first thing is seeing the pistion tops,,conditions there in,,then I will check the valve to cylinder head areas for damage...
    (how I screwed the pooch was racing around and downshifting to to low a gear and FUBARing it,,),,,on the passegers sid head 1 bent puch rod,,very slightly bent but enough,,then the other side drivers side head is where a tech said that the valve is bent, and I believe him,,,) since my motor has more than 200K the springs were in sad shape I think,,so valve float due to lazzy spring conditions are most likely what caused my pistion top to valve collisions,,),,,I will take pics once the heads are off,,and I hope all I need to do is replace all valve train with little head seating work,,,I hope,,,else I shall go with some aftermarket full heads,,,

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Hey,,,,I was told that I needed to Lap the valve seat area using laping compound,,,
    I only replaced a single valve that was bent very little....
    The valve seat had no deposits on it,,clean as I can tell,,,and the new valve sits in real nice,,,But thats off the block,,,so I did no pressure check to see if valve could hld all pressure needed.....

So honestly,,,if the new valve I install into a clean stock valve location--wlll I need to lap the valve seat,,,?

red
    99 camaro

Id do it on all of them as it takes 5min for each one. Could possibly be insurance to not burn a valve 500mi after you put it back together. That would be shitty, but my luck none the less....

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

So I bought some lapping compounds,,,rough and fine compound types,,,and those wooden handlesand went to town,,on 1 valve seat areas,,,,

Amazing,,,what I thought was a good seal alrready became a even better seal,,,or seat,,,

So since I only replaced 1 valve on 1 cylinder head,,,and the other head is still on,,,
    I will just leave it as is,,,time to put her all back together,,,ad fire her up,,,see if she purrs,,,,,if not then fix the next issue,,,but am sure the single valve replacement and lapping will do the trick,,,,

Lap it up,,,,

red
    99 camaro

I hope you were careful not to get the compound anywhere near the valve guides!!! It will eat em up if valves are put back in and the guides or valve stems arent cleaned of compound first...

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I was clean when using the compounds,,,and made sure not to get it anywhere near anyting but the seat areas,,I also then cleaned out the heads,,,

Thread Information