White
    1998 Trans Am

Hydraulic Cam & Solid Lifters ???

I called Comp Cams & was on hold for 45 minutes, so I never received an answer... The cam I'm running is a custom grind...
    LS1 4423F / 4858F SR112.0
    Int Exh
    Adv Dur 287 292
    Dur@.050 259 252 Lobe Sep 112.0
    Valve Lift .591 .589

I have the adjustable Pro Magnum 1.75 roller rockers & the Comp 850 lifters... I also had the 26918 springs, but upgraded to the Comp dual spring kit and noticed on the re-assembly I had collapsed lifters... The Question is, why can't I run solid Lifters ???

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I am by far no expert, but I wouldn't see why you couldn't. Hopefully you get your answer. The only reason I could see why someone would say you couldn't would be the design of the cam lopes for these engines and the design of the lifter..........but thats just a guess.

EDIT: After thinking about it more, I don't think it would be a great idea to mix them. Older camshafts for solid lifters had a quieting ramp type design. Hydraulic lifters pump up and get taller with the increased engine oil pressure of rpm and act to cushion the cam slightly. Solid lifters are single or multi-piece tappets that sit on the cam. Plus you have to worry about lash with the solids. Just my .02 again tho...
    Last edited by blackSS01; 05-07-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

White
    1998 Trans Am

I wouldn't go with tappets. I wanted the solid roller lifters.
    I had a few other people say about the lobe design too... I appreciate the .02 !!! Thanks !

victory red
    2007 zo6

why do you want that extra work ? cam in my 2007/ zo6, i think is close to those numbers.? c6/zo6,,.vettes pure stock can run low 11 seconds, high 10 with drag tires only !! rkvette

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    why do you want that extra work ? cam in my 2007/ zo6, i think is close to those numbers.? c6/zo6,,.vettes pure stock can run low 11 seconds, high 10 with drag tires only !! rkvette
    My car is pretty much a Drag Car only... The other set-up was running 10.60 with a 150 dry shot, but with the 14:1 CR, it should get that on just motor...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I wouldn't go with tappets. I wanted the solid roller lifters. I had a few other people say about the lobe design too... I appreciate the .02 !!! Thanks !
    Then that is out of my ball park. I have no clue

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Thumbs down

WHY NOT. . . . . . . NO DON'T DO IT!!

A solid lifter cam has a COMPLETE different design lobe. We also run A Lot more spring pressure than what you would with a hyd. lifter.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

What he said^^^

The OP kinda have it backwards. You want to go with Solid roller because of the lobe profile. You get the long duration, and then it closes faster than the hydraulic roller cam, giving you more cylinder pressure. So you get more power, plus you can get more lift as he says^^. I have heard of running a solid roller cam with hydraulic lifters (and successfully) but not the other way around. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even run a solid roller cam with hydraulic lifters even though it can be done. I'm giving alot of thought to going solid roller some day soon, even though I still have just a street car, it really is the way to go for more power, if you don't mind the valve train noise and checking your lash every so often...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

That whole thing about about having to set/check lash on a regular basis is BS!

I have run solid flat tappet and solid roller cams in street cars for years and NEVER had to check the lash in the same season or summer. Hell if that was true the manufactures wouldn't have made production cars with solid cams like they did back in the day.

What that Whole BS deal came from was people NOT adjusting and using polylocks correct. Sure you buy some POS generic jap polylocks and have 275lbs of seat pressure they will come loose sooner or later.

Buy qaulity locks adj. and lock them down properly. Have High spring pressure like it calls for so it doesn't beat the seat up and you will have No Issues! I have ran 310lbs seat pressure and .032/.035 lash on the custom ground solid roller nitrous cam in a 377 for 5 years now. He has freshened the motor once and I have came and adjusted his lifter 3 times in the 5 years. . . . . . . . It is like nitrous EVERYONE speaks bad on it BUT 80% that Do HAVE NEVER RAN NITROUS AND NEVER WILL.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I have learned alot

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

SOLID ON LEFT FLAT TAPPET ON RIGHT

With the solid you need ALL that spring pressure for the lobe design.

White
    1998 Trans Am

My cam profile looks like the one on the left... I gotta get a hold of Comp on Monday & give them the grind numbers to see what I have... I just heard that Comp has new short travel lifters out too... 0 - .005" preload... That might be the ticket !

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-15850-16/All/
    Last edited by bills98ta; 05-09-2010 at 04:45 AM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

PS... I was running the 26918 springs & just installed the 26926 dual springs...Plus the 1.75 Pro Magnum Rocker Arm kit (13753)...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    PS... I was running the 26918 springs & just installed the 26926 dual springs...Plus the 1.75 Pro Magnum Rocker Arm kit (13753)...
    Yeah those only have around 175lbs seat pressure. A solid roller takes More.

The one on the right that is a flat tappet. Thats more of the shape of a Solid roller. I would compare the Solid roller lobe to a V and a Hydraulic roller to a U.

Thread Information