White
    99 Camaro Z28

Hows your oil pressure?

I've been looking around this site at oil pressure threads.whas the normal pressure and problems with it. Any way idk if it's bad, my 99 z28 bolt on,when I first got her oil wasn't that good.had a bad oil pressure sending unit.and still marked 50 at cold start and 30-35 when hot.

I changed the intake Mani to a ls6 and replaced the oil pressure sending unit,changed oil to Mobil 1. 10w30..used a knn oil filter, but idk if it got damaged(Mabe beaing the problem).i was installing it and used some pliers for oil filters to give it a goot tight grip. It kinda bent it from te sides.
    Now my oil pressure at cold start is 40 and when hot 25 20,..any ideas why?
    i just replaced sending unit i was expecting it to do much better?
    car does have 236k high waymiles..but its proven to be a great motor.no smoke ,no oil consumption.
    ivd raced other ls1's with under 100k miles and beat them,no excuses..therefore i assume motor is not underpowered...
    How's ur oils pressure cold and hot ?.

236K miles is a hell of alot. What you have for oil pressure is probably not that unusual for those miles. I'm sure you have some excess bearing clearance going on

My LS engines all seem to be about 60 cold and 45-50 hot.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

Well it seems..that's it's not that bad..I have the same thread on ls1tech.lol .. But ur are correct.236k is not just anything lol ... But I've always said it really dosent matter the miles , it's the life the motor had...this one was stock to he paper..at its miles.im sure it Wassent abused,dosent seem like it...dosent burn oil at all. Not a puff of smoke...I've seen other low mile ls motors rim like crap .problems .. Thanks to the owners the life they gave their cars...thanks alot for input .it is greatly appreciated

White
    99 Camaro Z28

Well it seems..that's it's not that bad..I have the same thread on ls1tech.lol .. But ur are correct.236k is not just anything lol ... But I've always said it really dosent matter the miles , it's the life the motor had...this one was stock to he paper..at its miles.im sure it Wassent abused,dosent seem like it...dosent burn oil at all. Not a puff of smoke...I've seen other low mile ls motors rim like crap .problems .. Thanks to the owners the life they gave their cars...thanks alot for input .it is greatly appreciated

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 14camarolover View Post
    I've been looking around this site at oil pressure threads.whas the normal pressure and problems with it. Any way idk if it's bad, my 99 z28 bolt on,when I first got her oil wasn't that good.had a bad oil pressure sending unit.and still marked 50 at cold start and 30-35 when hot.

I changed the intake Mani to a ls6 and replaced the oil pressure sending unit,changed oil to Mobil 1. 10w30..used a knn oil filter, but idk if it got damaged(Mabe beaing the problem).i was installing it and used some pliers for oil filters to give it a goot tight grip. It kinda bent it from te sides.
    Now my oil pressure at cold start is 40 and when hot 25 20,..any ideas why?
    i just replaced sending unit i was expecting it to do much better?
    car does have 236k high waymiles..but its proven to be a great motor.no smoke ,no oil consumption.
    ivd raced other ls1's with under 100k miles and beat them,no excuses..therefore i assume motor is not underpowered...
    How's ur oils pressure cold and hot ?.
    Just a side note DO NOT use pliers to tighten your oil filter...after you make contact with the base a good HAND tighten is good enough.. If you over tighten filter not only is it a bitch to get off after, you run the risk of a leak from the gasket....i dont know if your problem has anything to do with your filter being a little bent at the sides as you say BUT thats not really good. >>>>..... Ok my bad i re-read your post and you used ''oil filter pliers''..okay well still...these are mainly used to take a stubborn filter off and/or for a filter in a tight space. using this type of filter''wrench'' does tend to crush the filter, When i worked @ service station were i did hundreds of oil changes through out the years i only used that type of tool to get them off if stuck or hard to loosen or reach...anyway bottom line use your hands for installation. and last but not least never ever try to poke a screwdriver through a stuck filter to get it off.... ive seen it done!
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 09-02-2012 at 11:08 PM.

factory metalic red
    2002 Z28

My daf did the screwdriver trick when he was a kid cause heovertightened it.....needless that's when he stopped within on cars

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't mean that it was bad oil pressure, but it is lower than normal. With any high mile engine that's usually due to excessive bearing clearances no matter how it's treated. I'm almost certain there are things inside that engine that are a bit looser than say,,,an engine with 40k miles. It's inevitable.

That's not to say however that it won't live with that low of oil pressure. I'm sure it will be fine if treated nicely. Probably not an engine I'd want to go modifying or beating on though.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

I'll be doing a leak down test soon to determine what route ima take... I'm currently finishing up the full bolt on list on it. Just installed long tubes ... (it's open headers for now) gonna do a nice h/c/I combo .have a few buddies with high mile ls1's. They just did heads and cam full bolt ins and stall. ..their cars are running great one has 197k miles. And the other one 160k

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Stock gauge reads 50 cold 40 hot, autometer reads 45 cold 30-35 hot.
    I've replaced the stock OPSU and got different readings from that alone, the autometer just gives me added comfort. About 118k on mine.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

Oh okay I'm thing liking of adding the autometer

I'll be doing a leak down test soon to determine what route ima take... I'm currently finishing up the full bolt on list on it. Just installed long tubes ... (it's open headers for now) gonna do a nice h/c/I combo .have a few buddies with high mile ls1's. They just did heads and cam full bolt ins and stall. ..their cars are running great one has 197k miles. And the other one 160k
    Working in and around some top engine builders,,,that's not something I would recommend. Not saying it doesn't work, but it's probably going to be a short term solution that might be fun for a while, but eventually you'll find youself putting a shortblock together too.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

Ur right...ima start saving up more to fresen up te bottom end ....

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Stock gauge reads 50 cold 40 hot, autometer reads 45 cold 30-35 hot.
    I've replaced the stock OPSU and got different readings from that alone, the autometer just gives me added comfort. About 118k on mine.
    Did you put the Autometer in the same place as the original in the dash or off somewhere?

White
    99 Camaro Z28

bump any more inputs

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Question 80 psi oil pressure stock gauge, i know dead thread

i know this is a long dead thread but with my stock internal 112k mile Ls1 camaro i see oil pressures stock gauge almost at 80 lbs, gauge almost pegged, and at idle 60 psi or so. gauge never goes below id say 50 psi even at idle. im assuming its the gauge and the innacuraccies with the stock gauge reading. I think im gonna have to replace the stock oil psi sending unit and i think its somewhere on the back of the intake.
    i might have a post somewhere already on the subject as ive run into a lot of other guys who are seeing wide flucuations in oil pressure readings with the stock gauge.
    I run 5-30 Pennzoil synthetic with a fram tough gaurd filter. any insight into this issue would help me be put at ease.
    HELP!!

Thread Information