Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

Question How Will doing a 383 stroker kit benefit me??

what kind of gains am i looking at?...reccomendations on brands to go with??

i'm kind of in the dark on this topic...please shine some light

thanks!!

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

i personally love stoker kits, you will prolly gain around 80-150hp and torque depending on whether your car is stock right now. stroker motors are extremely durable. the kits are reasonable and i have seen many stroked ls1's beat s/c ls1's so looking at it that way it is a lot of bang for the buck. my scale for hp gain might be a little off and you could gain more but you will certainly feel a huge difference in the power. if i was you i would do it, as a matter of fact i just ordered my stroker kit the other day and then i am going to bore mine 40 over so my motor will actually be around a 406 cu in. i am going to get it dyno'd before and after and let you know the results

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

Def. Let me know, What brand did you get and how much did it run you?

thanks alot for the input..

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

what goes into stroking an engine? Parts and labor. I'm ignorant of the subject.

red
    2002 SS

my kit is from sbc and it cost 1700 basically what it is is forged piston, forged 6" rods and a forged crank, the crank is what makes it i believe the crank is that from a 400 cu in, small block of course. labor is based i guess on where you live but it is about 10 hours of work so whatever your mechanic charges for is hourly rate ad it you. and also the kits usually dont come with a cam so you might as well get one because your motor is going to be torn down anyways so it would make sense to replace the cam while you have the chance.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stroker LS1 crank alone is at least $900 for the cheaper Eagle crank.
    Pistons tend to run $550.
    Rods are based on what you want. They can be $250 for cheap Scat rods. My rods are Lunati ProMods which are $700 a set. Billet rods get even more pricey.
    Don't forget about bearings and caps if you need them.

Full lunati kit is $3700. That includes their crank (better than eagle), rods, pistons, etc.
    For that price, you can get a shop to build something for you.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stroker LS1 crank alone is at least $900 for the cheaper Eagle crank.
    Pistons tend to run $550.
    Rods are based on what you want. They can be $250 for cheap Scat rods. My rods are Lunati ProMods which are $700 a set. Billet rods get even more pricey.
    Don't forget about bearings and caps if you need them.

Full lunati kit is $3700. That includes their crank (better than eagle), rods, pistons, etc.
    For that price, you can get a shop to build something for you.
    that makes sense my kit is cheaper just because i have an lt1 but even if i went the more expensive route mine would only be about 2500 and then about 700 to install

how much mpg would one get with the stroker compared to the stock engine?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My 402ci (big cam) recently got me 17MPG mixed driving. 4.11's, M6.
    I think if it was purely highway it would get 20-22MPG.
    That 17MPG was mostly highway but certainly had some spirited driving. It was on a cruise with several other F-Body's and Corvettes.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

I have a Eagle crank based 383 and love it. It only makes about 30 more rwhp than my old H/C set-up, but the driveability is night and day. Torque comes on strong down low and the power is everywhere. Not to mention, now that everything is forged I have less worries with the nitrous. Stroker 383s are good, but bored and stroked big-cubes (402/408/418/427 etc) are even better and the price difference is becoming negligible...

Black
    1998 Chevy Side Step

if i may also say something i think that stroker motors wind up faster if that makes sense. it gets up to rpms faster. but my question that i need to ask you guys is will a stroker motor act well with a whipple twin screw s/c?

red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by chriSS396 View Post
    if i may also say something i think that stroker motors wind up faster if that makes sense. it gets up to rpms faster. but my question that i need to ask you guys is will a stroker motor act well with a whipple twin screw s/c?
    i am sure it would work just fine i am sure their are some stroked and s/c'd f bodies on this site but i dont see why it wouldnt work

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

stroker motor

ok guys I got a ? about this whole stroker motor topic. I'm wanting to get a 383 stroker kit for my 01 trans am and change out my gears to 3.73's(currently 3.42), get headers, and a bigger cam. any ideas on which type would be my best setup and the cheapest? currently all I have is a tune and a ram air induction and the last time I ran my car I was getting 13.0 and 13.1 on street tires. any help would be appreciated. It's going to be a few months before I can buy the parts cause i'm still in Iraq and I'll be here till almost november.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by chriSS396 View Post
    The longer rods/throw of the stroker will increase piston velocity which will actually negatively affect RPM range compared to similar-sized all-bore.
    A stroker engine will certainly work with a super-charger as long as it is purpose-built (lower compression especially).

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    ok guys I got a ? about this whole stroker motor topic. I'm wanting to get a 383 stroker kit for my 01 trans am and change out my gears to 3.73's(currently 3.42), get headers, and a bigger cam. any ideas on which type would be my best setup and the cheapest? currently all I have is a tune and a ram air induction and the last time I ran my car I was getting 13.0 and 13.1 on street tires. any help would be appreciated. It's going to be a few months before I can buy the parts cause i'm still in Iraq and I'll be here till almost november.
    The real question is how long that 10-bolt will last in your plans...

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

well what do you suggest?

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

well what do you suggest?
    Honestly, with the added torque of a stroker, you won't need the 3.73s unless you are shooting for a specific tire-size/RPM at the track. Even so, any M6 car's 10-bolt is living on borrowed time with sticky tires. You can get a diff-cover/brace and start saving for a 12-bolt, 9-inch or S60.
    What kind of stroker set-up you do is going to be best determined by what the car will be used for and what kind of budget you have.
    I went with a 383 because I got a smokin' deal, but anymore the most cost-effective way to go is 402/408...

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Well I want to be able to kick some ass on the track but also be able to ride around town and get more than 10 mpg. do you know of any good places to get a good deal on a stroker kit? What's the difference in the 383 & 402/408? Honestly I just want to be able to kick some ass, but I don't what to go with on either thing. I'm lost.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Well I want to be able to kick some ass on the track but also be able to ride around town and get more than 10 mpg. do you know of any good places to get a good deal on a stroker kit? What's the difference in the 383 & 402/408? Honestly I just want to be able to kick some ass, but I don't what to go with on either thing. I'm lost.
    Heh, it's all good...the learning curve isn't too bad when you have helpful sites like this one.
    The big difference between the 383 amd 402/408 is the bore size. The larger bore of the 402/408 not only adds cubes, but allows for larger valves and consequently, more air flow. The 402 is a stroker based off of the aluminum LS2 and the 408 is based off a stroked LQ4 iron block. A 383 like mine uses your LS1 block with a small overbore.
    Check with the sponsors of this site and those on LS1tech.com for pricing and to get a feel for what's involved. You will also need the supporting bolt-ons and a tune.
    My car averaged 23 MPG round-trip from VA to FL with some spirited driving and often above 85 MPH (don't tell my wife or the authorities).
    My advice would be to build in steps with an eye towards a future increase in displacement. You could go full bolt-ons first, then maybe a nice heads/cam and do the stroker later...

Thread Information