white
    Chevy Trophy Truck

How well does this combo work?

Hey, new here and semi-new to ls's. I'm in the process of building a chevy trophy truck, and I'm probably going to go with an ls1

I found an ls1 long block out of a 2000 corvette that comes with 2004 gto heads (241 casting) for $750 bucks. It also comes with:
    - stock oil pump
    - stock 2000 corvette cam
    - front cover and rear covers
    - valley cover with knock sensors
    - stock pushrods,rocker arms, rocker stands
    - two sets of lifters and one set of lifter trays
    - center bolt valve covers
    - fbody crank pulley

Now my question to you guys is do you think that's a good deal? Also, how much hp can I expect to get out the engine with those heads. Keep in mind that there will be NOOO smog restrictions on this engine, seeing as it'll be used for an off-road vehicle

And lastly what would a ballpark estimate be to get this running? I'll need intake, wiring, ignition, and oil pan. Maybe some other little things

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by AndrewH; 11-21-2009 at 12:28 PM.

white
    Chevy Trophy Truck

here's some pictures, if that helps at all...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you just put everything together with headers you would make about 350rwhp depending if it was a m6 or a4. Your oil pressure sending unit is broke, an ls-6 intake is about $300, Your going to need new head bolts with head gaskets, pcm, etc. 241 heads are stock heads for all 01-04 models there is nothing special about them, though I do have some ported and milled 5.3's with 2.02 intale valve and 1.6 exhaust valve id your interested
    It is not a bad deal you are only missing a few items if you just want to get the car running

white
    Chevy Trophy Truck

anyone in the so-cal area want to help me put it together? I bought it

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Question

Sounds like fun to me but i live in las vegas... but you can get a plug and play wire harness go on the jegs site or summit racing and get a universal wireing harness for the ls blocks or jusr get a AME one that will hook up streight to all your trophy truck guages which get sick with it. man ithese trophy trucks are a passion i could talk aboutthem all day. what kind of series are u running it in ?? for 1 if u want to get it running asap get a new oil pump the stockers are garbace and give out at high rpm's while the engines like redllining plus pick upa dual timing chain if youre going to be slammin that hamer down like a trophy truck awesome engines the Ls series engines do u like adders ? or are u going to make this truck streight engine ?

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    Hey, new here and semi-new to ls's. I'm in the process of building a chevy trophy truck, and I'm probably going to go with an ls1

I found an ls1 long block out of a 2000 corvette that comes with 2004 gto heads (241 casting) for $750 bucks. It also comes with:
    - stock oil pump
    - stock 2000 corvette cam
    - front cover and rear covers
    - valley cover with knock sensors
    - stock pushrods,rocker arms, rocker stands
    - two sets of lifters and one set of lifter trays
    - center bolt valve covers
    - fbody crank pulley

Now my question to you guys is do you think that's a good deal? Also, how much hp can I expect to get out the engine with those heads. Keep in mind that there will be NOOO smog restrictions on this engine, seeing as it'll be used for an off-road vehicle

And lastly what would a ballpark estimate be to get this running? I'll need intake, wiring, ignition, and oil pan. Maybe some other little things

Thanks in advance!
    nice clean block by the way . take some brake cleaner and spray it on that carbon build up on top of those pistons and it will just come out in your next in change .

white
    Chevy Trophy Truck

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    though I do have some ported and milled 5.3's with 2.02 intale valve and 1.6 exhaust valve id your interested
    How much for the heads? And would it be better to go with those or ls6 heads?

I yi yi... I picked up a BOOK on how to make power out of the ls engines... hours of reading and STILL no clue what I'm actually going to do. lol

But yeah, I'll be thrashing this engine pretty hard, so I want to build it for RELIABLE horsepower... which probably means more money.

Here's what I'm looking for at the moment:
    1. LS6 intake
    2. LQ4 (i think) throttle body
    3. performance cam (don't know which one yet)
    4. MAYBE LS6 heads... not sure on that yet though

Any other suggestions you guys could think of? And any shops in the so-cal area that could put it together and seal it professionally?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

4. MAYBE LS6 heads... not sure on that yet though

Port the LS6 heads. There's nothing better than flow. You could pay $500+ to get them done professionally or dive into them yourself. I personally just finished mine (first porting job on heads) and upped my flow +/- 30cfm ... I got my heads for $800 for both (off a Vette with 10k on it) ... heads are DEFINITELY a good idea

white
    Chevy Trophy Truck

So I'm kinda confused what intake/fuel rails/throttle body to get

What do you guys think would be the best choice? And what intake would fit perfectly to the 2000 block but 2004 gto heads?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

So I'm kinda confused what intake/fuel rails/throttle body to get

What do you guys think would be the best choice? And what intake would fit perfectly to the 2000 block but 2004 gto heads?
    04 gto heads are the same heads that came on 01-02 f-bodies. If you are looking to keep it cheap an ls-6 manifold, and it will be around $300. If the motor is staying stock there are people on here who have probably stopped using there stock injector's ect if you post in the classifieds here.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    04 gto heads are the same heads that came on 01-02 f-bodies. If you are looking to keep it cheap an ls-6 manifold, and it will be around $300. If the motor is staying stock there are people on here who have probably stopped using there stock injector's ect if you post in the classifieds here.
    If you look around you can find some SVO 30 lb injectors for $125 or so. They flow 36 lbs with our four bar fuel pressure so they would be perfect for you and give you a little room to grow....

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    If you look around you can find some SVO 30 lb injectors for $125 or so. They flow 36 lbs with our four bar fuel pressure so they would be perfect for you and give you a little room to grow....
    +1 and you dont have to worry about smog either its a trophy truck its going to be wicked

Thread Information