white
    1999 ss camaro

how should i spend my money?

Ok my SS has about 125k on it. my question is im turning it into a street and track car. im going to do the whole engine, im going to blue print part of the block and so on. my question is im most likely going to have the crank knife edged and balanced so there is no worries there.

What kind of main caps should i get, for i dont have to worry about spinning a bearing? What kind of connecting rods and pistons should i get?

i have a pretty big budget to work from on just the lower end of the engine. i also plan on putting a set of trick flow heads and custom cam on the car so it will be pushing alot of power so i need everything as good as i can get it. i also drive this car alot not like a daily driver but i do put about 70 miles on it a week. my goal is to get decent mpg on it and be dependable so i dont need all out drag pistons and what not.

If any one has any suggestions or ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The condition of your cylinder walls will dictate whether or not you can resurrect the engine. As it has pressed in liners, it has a maximum allowable overbore of .010". It's not like the old school SBC's that could be punched out as much as .060". Granted, you can send the block out to have new liners installed, but for the expense you may as well upgrade to a new GMPP or aftermarket block. Do your homework before you pull the trigger on a rebuild -- you may find it more economical to invest in an LS6 crate engine in the long run (while they are still available).

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You said your goal was to get decent MPG and also a lot of HP...

Those usually don't go together if you are staying N/A...

Do you just plan on putting on H/C/I? Or do you plan on doing something else to the car also?

white
    1999 ss camaro

i know they power and mpg dont go together, dont get me wrong this aint my first rodeo. but i want it to get at least 16mpg and be dependable another thing im trying to stick with is the stock block and yes i will get re sleeved as long as it is still good only time will tell.

Black
    2000 SS

Get a blower! Good MPG and they make alot of power

white
    1999 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
    Get a blower! Good MPG and they make alot of power
    sorry haha i forgot to mention natural aspirated too

How much power do you consider a lot? If I were you I'd clearly define my goals before researching and acquiring parts. What you will need for 400-450rwhp is not the same as 500+rwhp which is almost impossible to hit without a stroker. You've got 125k on your car are you an A4, M6 still on the stock rear end etc...as soon as you start throwing some serious HP to the drivetrain you will have other issues. Like the other poster said you may find a crate motor to be the better bang for your buck than rebuilding your LS1.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

for the money and hassle I would just get a stroker.... 408 to be exact. That's if it were me.

white
    1999 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    How much power do you consider a lot? If I were you I'd clearly define my goals before researching and acquiring parts. What you will need for 400-450rwhp is not the same as 500+rwhp which is almost impossible to hit without a stroker. You've got 125k on your car are you an A4, M6 still on the stock rear end etc...as soon as you start throwing some serious HP to the drivetrain you will have other issues. Like the other poster said you may find a crate motor to be the better bang for your buck than rebuilding your LS1.
    ok your right i should have told you all my clear defined goals, its not like i just decided this over night this has been going on for over 8 mounts and im looking for around 550 on a natural aspirated engine. yes im getting new rear end with it

i have a m6 too

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1999sscamaro View Post
    ok your right i should have told you all my clear defined goals, its not like i just decided this over night this has been going on for over 8 mounts and im looking for around 550 on a natural aspirated engine. yes im getting new rear end with it

i have a m6 too
    550? as in rwhp? You aren't going to hit that with a 346ci and being NA.

silver
    1986 camaro

a WELL build 402 or 408 can come close to your 550 mark. BUT with the best stuff fast 102, big cam, big headers, afr or trickflow heads are nice. mast makes a good head also.

There are some 346's out there that hit 500 rwhp naturally aspirated give or take a few. But it takes 11 degree ETP heads or something equivilent, and a pretty aggressive camshaft, and all the other high dollar goodies to go with it like the fuel system, ported FAST intake setup etc....

Some people find these setups driveable daily but it depends on your tolerance level.

Since you are worried about gas mileage to an extent and drivability, my advice would be much like the others here....

Go with a stroker setup to make life much easier for your HP goals. Ditch the stock block and go with a 4" bore setup to start with. The LQ blocks are budget friendly and can be bored for another refresh later. Alot of stroker builds sold to the public are based off this starting point. Even fresh short blocks assembled and ready to go are pretty reasonable for what you get. And it's a much better starting point than a high mile 346. If you had to resleeve (which is likely) it'll set you back more than a brand new virgin LQ4 bare block costs.
    A 402/408 will reach your goals with a much tamer camshaft, less compression needed, you can even do it with a decent set of cathedral heads.

red
    2000TA

the stock main caps are fine.look at a 383 stroker kit from a vendor here.get a fast intake and a custom cam.you mite consider 17/8 headers and a nice or custom made Y-pipe.use a flow master 4"into 3" merger .get a 4" by 4' long straight pipe with a 4" bullet muffler .

Thread Information