Black
    1999 TA WS.6

How to Replace Valve Springs

Not really in depth, I've had these pictures for awhile now and just now getting them into a thread. Someone just asked, this might help.

1. The easy stuff, coil packs, valve covers all gotta come off.

2. Remove spark plugs.

3. Gather your necessary tools.

Hands down the best valve spring compressor for your F body is the old Crane Cams tool, that is now being sold by Speed Inc. This tool can be found HERE

Your also going to need a fitting/line to screw into your spark plug hole. You will using compressed air to hold the valves up while swapping the springs. This can also be bought HERE. Its under the valve spring compressor tool, PN IZM2992

Other then those two tools, you will need no other specialty tools. Basic hand tools and a decent air compressor are the only others you need.

4. Remove the rocker arm, If memory serves correctly they are a 8mm.

I like to keep everything in order, when doing any install. It will help diagnose problems someday. Call it good practice.

5. Once your rocker arms are removed, install the Speed Inc valve spring compressor. You will be using the bolt holes where your rocker arms were attached.

6. This is where patience's may be tested. Installing the air compressor fitting and line can be tricky. Ive found it to be easiest when adding another air compressor quick connect directly to the backside of the 14mm fitting. This way your air compressor line is not attached while trying to thread into the spark plug hole. Once screwed in, then you can easily install the other end of the line (female compressor quick connect). Play around with what works best for you, certain cylinder's will fight you.

7. Use the nut in the middle to compress the springs. There are two (2) lock's or "keepers" per valve. You must remove these to free the spring from the retainer. Usually you will have to give a good smack to the top of the valve, this will free the keeper from the valve. It will be obvious when your pulling the nut down if they are free or not.

Notice the valve on the right has the keepers removed

I use a magnet to remove them, its much easier and it will keep them from dropping. Seems whenever a keeper falls, its gone forever Its a GREAT idea to buy a few extra keepers before doing the swap.

Loosen the nut on the tool and swap those two springs.

That's it! Install your new valve springs and do the reverse order. Its a great idea to shell out a few extra bucks and replace the valve seals while your in there also. Have fun!
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 03-24-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Not really in depth, I've had these pictures for awhile now and just now getting them into a thread. Someone just asked, this might help.

1. The easy stuff, coil packs, valve covers all gotta come off.

2. Remove spark plugs.

3. Gather your necessary tools.

Hands down the best valve spring compressor for your F body is the old Crane Cams tool, that is now being sold by Speed Inc. This tool can be found HERE

Your also going to need a fitting/line to screw into your spark plug hole. You will using compressed air to hold the valves up while swapping the springs. This can also be bought HERE. Its under the valve spring compressor tool, PN IZM2992

Other then those two tools, you will need no other specialty tools. Basic hand tools and a decent air compressor are the only others you need.

4. Remove the rocker arm, If memory serves correctly they are a 8mm.

Click for full size

I like to keep everything in order, when doing any install. It will help diagnose problems someday. Call it good practice.
    Click for full size

5. Once your rocker arms are removed, install the Speed Inc valve spring compressor. You will be using the bolt holes where your rocker arms where attached.

Click for full size

6. This is where patience's may be tested. Installing the air compressor fitting and line can be tricky. Ive found it to be easiest when adding another air compressor quick connect directly to the backside of the 14mm fitting. This way your air compressor line is not attached while trying to thread into the spark plug hole. Once screwed in, then you can easily install the other end of the line (female compressor quick connect). Play around with what works best for you, certain cylinder's will fight you.

Click for full size

7. Use the nut in the middle to compress the springs. There are two (2) lock's or "keepers" per valve. You must remove these to free the spring from the retainer. Usually you will have to give a good smack to the top of the valve, this will free the keeper from the valve. It will be obvious when your pulling the nut down if they are free or not.

Click for full size
    Notice the valve on the right has the keepers removed

I use a magnet to remove them, its much easier and it will keep them from dropping. Seems whenever a keeper falls, its gone forever Its a GREAT idea to buy a few extra keepers before doing the swap.

Click for full size

Loosen the nut on the tool and swap those two springs.

That's it! Install your new valve springs and do the reverse order. Its a great idea to shell out a few extra bucks and replace the valve seals while your in there also. Have fun!
    great write up ron..you should write a book.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

stickified

black
    1995 chevy truck

Cool spark plug tool

Hey I saved myself some money and made a spark plug air tool. Out of a old spark plug and a air fitting I ground down the threads on the fitting untill they fit down in the hollowed out spark plug and then I welded them together with my mig. I used a piece of hose slid over the fitting and hooked it to the air compressor and I had no trouble with my install. I still have it in my tool box because I know it will be used again.
    Steve
    Ls1 powered 95 silverado
    Hooker headers 3" duels dynomax mufflers
    6 speed trans eaton possi
    150 shot nx rollen on
    20in boyd codditons

Thread Information