black
    2002 trans am firehawk

how much hp can i expect?

I have a stock firehawk that I want to start modding. Roughly, how much RWHP gain can I expect by installing a good head/cam package and LT headers. I've heard up to 75 horse, but not sure. Also I've heard of people having clearence problems with LT's, does this mean if your looking at the car from a distance you can see the headers sticking out from under the car? Thanks for any help.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Only SLP has bad clearance issues. Most others tuck up well. You cant even see my pacesetters.

its hard to tell how much HP you'll make. It depends on the size of the cam and how well the heads flow. Id expect anywhere between 400 for a mild setup and 450 for a more extreme setup.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Dude speak the truth!!!

Aggressive cam and a good set of heads can easily net 450 RWHP with an M6 car.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you can easily add 100 rwhp with a mild heads/cam and headers set up.
    epp in indiana is a top notch shop that does great work.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black
    2002 trans am firehawk

ok guys, thanks for the help. I was thinking of supercharging, but with that kind of HP gain I think i'll go with the head/cam and headers. A 100 HP extra is about all i'm looking for and i'll have the sweet sound of an engine that's been cammed. Also, i've been to the EPP website and I think i'm gonna give them guys a call and get some prices.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS

Talking

I am at 401 HP without Heads on an A-4.

Bill
    2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
    CAI, Inc. Cold Air Induction;ADM Scoop
    Rx Catch Can;Rx Breather;Roto-Fab Washer Container
    VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
    XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
    Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
    Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
    Tinted Windows 35%
    EFILive Tune

i was looking to goto 450 RWHP with my next cam, the SLP one in there is dated but with heads i banged out 415

black
    2002 trans am firehawk

Do you know what your 1/4 mile or 0-60 times are with the set up you have now? Did you put a trans am spoiler on a formula firehawk? I've never seen that before, looks good that way. By the way, Above was a kick a$$ album. Alice In Chains is going back on the road, but I haven't heard who is singing for them. Who ever it is they'll never sound as good as the one and only. Layne Staley R.I.P.

Black
    99 SS

man, i hope u could get 400 with headers and cam, you can hit that easily with todays stuff

Quote Originally Posted by indiana hawk
    Do you know what your 1/4 mile or 0-60 times are with the set up you have now? Did you put a trans am spoiler on a formula firehawk? I've never seen that before, looks good that way. By the way, Above was a kick a$$ album. Alice In Chains is going back on the road, but I haven't heard who is singing for them. Who ever it is they'll never sound as good as the one and only. Layne Staley R.I.P.
    one time i gutted the car and ran a 11.5 but havent been that lucky since. the previous owner added the spoiler and i love it, espically since i prefer the formula front. I saw alice and pearl jam on back to back night, PJ in cleveland may 20th, and Alice in chicago may 21st last month. William Devual is singing for them, i saw him sing with jerry at the house of blues in chicago on halloween a few years back. awesome singer and great show..... as for my car, i have a new cam and intake ready to go on it but wont be running it anytime soon..... story here http://edigras.iweb.bsu.edu/savemad.htm

Click for full size
    Last edited by MadSeason; 06-07-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    man, i hope u could get 400 with headers and cam, you can hit that easily with todays stuff
    yea i have heads on a really old cam that only gains a claimed 35HP from SLP, its not ment for my setup either, its better off with a blower, not NA high compression. and i hit 415. new cam should of put me at least to 450

pimpin the black on black

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I want to get a good cam/head package from SLP.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

and once I get to 5 posts ill link ya'll to it.

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1406{49}585{15}158{50 }587&osCsid=16f935763ce76b0e588720fa104330b3

just a suggestion.. but might want to check this 'package' out.. im think about going with this one.. but still researching.. as always I want the most bang for my buck..
    No replacement for displacement.

Click for full size

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime35
    I want to get a good cam/head package from SLP.
    SLP doesn't have any good cam's IMO anymore, it's all dated technology and their heads are good AFR's. I'd only go with it if you're set on having the name, a good custom grind and AFR's or a set of patriot heads will do much better.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    SLP doesn't have any good cam's IMO anymore, it's all dated technology and their heads are good AFR's. I'd only go with it if you're set on having the name, a good custom grind and AFR's or a set of patriot heads will do much better.

that's good to know. thanks for that. I don't know a whole lot about matching cams to heads. I just know they have a set that claims 600 hp. I have a friend/ old shop teacher who knows a lot about cars and motors and i want to talk to him and see if he can edumucate me on it.

I've seen a lot of people talking about custom grinding on here? Wouldn't that make the cam smaller or is that what most high performance cams are? I'm new to that part of car performance and would like to know all i can before i make a decision.

And i'm certainly not set on SLP, i've just heard good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime35
    that's good to know. thanks for that. I don't know a whole lot about matching cams to heads. I just know they have a set that claims 600 hp. I have a friend/ old shop teacher who knows a lot about cars and motors and i want to talk to him and see if he can edumucate me on it.

I've seen a lot of people talking about custom grinding on here? Wouldn't that make the cam smaller or is that what most high performance cams are? I'm new to that part of car performance and would like to know all i can before i make a decision.

And i'm certainly not set on SLP, i've just heard good things about them.
    A custom cam can be small or big, depends on your driving style, rear gear, what you want out of the cam, what your mods are. It's more tailored to your setup than anything off the shelf could be unless you followed the mods. Get the heads you want first and then get your cam, or have the cam designed around heads you wish to purchase. Either way you'll have to upgrade some things like pushrods and springs if you keep your stock heads. best of all custom cams cost the same as an off the shelf model, at most 50 bucks more depending on where you go. Any claims SLP makes are only claims and they are not talking RWHP. They are looking at HP at the motor with the power steering pumps off ect...

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    A custom cam can be small or big, depends on your driving style, rear gear, what you want out of the cam, what your mods are. It's more tailored to your setup than anything off the shelf could be unless you followed the mods. Get the heads you want first and then get your cam, or have the cam designed around heads you wish to purchase. Either way you'll have to upgrade some things like pushrods and springs if you keep your stock heads. best of all custom cams cost the same as an off the shelf model, at most 50 bucks more depending on where you go. Any claims SLP makes are only claims and they are not talking RWHP. They are looking at HP at the motor with the power steering pumps off ect...

thanks bro. I'm going to do some more research before I make a decision.

good luck man, just post up any questions you have we're here teach and learn but have fun too

Thread Information