Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white
    2002 z28

how to make smoke go away from exhaust?

well on my other car its smoking a lil but mostly after 3000 RPM s , like if i leave it in gear for a while and some while im at crusiing speeds and when i get on the gas.

just want to know why it does that and what can i do to herlp out a lil, its leaks/burns about a quart a week soo if that helps

mabey just runnin really rich what mods do u have? tune? o2s bad is ur ses light on? what color is the smoke?

white
    2002 z28

well no modds besides everythign is basicaly new as parts, smoke is light grey not black,and the SES light has been on since i bought it

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

I have my own code scanner now, but before I got mine I borrowed one at Auto Zone whenever the SES was set. I would make sure to look into why the SES is on.

white
    2002 z28

for 96+ cars casue this is for a saturn that is a 93

white
    2002 z28

yea looking for a obd -2 reader

white
    2002 z28

every autozone only has the newer one

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    well on my other car its smoking a lil but mostly after 3000 RPM s , like if i leave it in gear for a while and some while im at crusiing speeds and when i get on the gas.

just want to know why it does that and what can i do to herlp out a lil, its leaks/burns about a quart a week soo if that helps
    dude, what happens when you sit and gunn it? What color is the moke, and does gunning it for a few mins help?

white
    2002 z28

very light color smoke and it doesnt help it will just continue a lil less

white
    2002 z28

would any of that treatment stuff work for the gas tank and oil

Black & Black

LOL guess it would kinda help if I read the first five words in your original post. It is kinda surprising to me that Auto Zone doesn't have a compatible OBD-I scanner. I know my scanner came with all of the connectors to hook up to ALDL as well as the Ford and Chrysler OBD-I PCM's. The only problem would be finding some of the connectors for the off the wall divisions. I don't know whether Saturn used the ALDL or one of their own connectors. My best advise would be to get the SES to go out and then if it still smokes then you could try one of those engine restore in a bottle products. My personal belief is that MOST automotive products promise a lot but deliver very little. How many miles are on the engine and how is the compression? Good rule of thumb on exhaust smoke is white or light colors usually comes from water entering from say a blown head gasket or the like, the more it is toward black is usually gas from the engine running to rich, blue colored smoke is oil and is usually worse on start-ups. If you keep an eye on your mileage and notice a drop and sometimes the engine will start to run funny that is usually an O2 sensor.

white
    2002 z28

that last perdiction is almost right on the money. theres 262,000 miles theres light smoke car was running really bad but just changed the plugs and wires and made a 100% better there just the smoke knnow and low miliage. im only getting about 18-19 mpg which i think the car should be in the mid 20-25

thanks

white
    2002 z28

and the o2 sensor is next on my list to do

white
    2002 z28

thats why i sent to auto zone for them to test out my car to see if it was the 02 sensor ...

Black & Black

Yeah I got the fourth off from work and so I got chance to replace two O2 sensors. The drivers side pre-cat was reading zero some of the time and the switching on the passenger side pre-cat didn't have the switching it should. Added with those it was running funny at around 1400 RPM's and the gas mileage had dropped a bit. That makes it around 5 - 10 sensors I have gone through over course of the last 3 years. My firehawk seems to eat them regularly. Adding in the 3 V-6 f-bodies my sister has owned and the two I own plus my dad's vehicles, I don't regret for a second getting my tester.

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

very light color smoke and it doesnt help it will just continue a lil less
    try the spark plugs. Obviously gunning it is having an effect as its making it less severe. you might need to just keep gunning it dude.

CAMARO. TRANS AM.
    TWO CARS, ONE MISSION............
    D O M I N A N C E !

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEatr View Post
    try the spark plugs. Obviously gunning it is having an effect as its making it less severe. you might need to just keep gunning it dude.
    its actually the other way around. past 3000rpm s its starts to smoke, if i keep the revs down between shifts im sure i manage it. and i did change the plugs about 3 weeks ago. they were soo fouled out and the car barely ran right... i thought it was interenals at the time but tried all simple stuff first and came to be a $10 fix.

thats a first

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

Question

its actually the other way around. past 3000rpm s its starts to smoke, if i keep the revs down between shifts im sure i manage it. and i did change the plugs about 3 weeks ago. they were soo fouled out and the car barely ran right... i thought it was interenals at the time but tried all simple stuff first and came to be a $10 fix.

thats a first

so you are now saying if you sat and gunned it that the smoke got worse?

pewter
    2000 t/a

i'll tell you exactlly what your dealing with.
    worked many years on gm's through the dealers and several saturns have ran through my stalls.

first.
    262.000 miles is a pretty worn out engine and has seen a better day. your living on borrowed time my friend.

those cylinders have such a cone shape worn into them that the piston rings will never expand enough to seal. the higher the rpm the more oil is left behind by the weak oil scraper ring, and burned in the air/ fuel mix. which is then lowering your octane level and thus creating a spark knock that will beat the rod bearings out of it.

second,
    those engines were built with a very low tension piston ring sets from the factory. they were extremly prone to ring sticking from all the blow by.

you can try and decarbon the rings and lands but,...and take this with a grain of salt.... the cylinder walls and rings/lands are to far worn to do any good.
    you can try though it mite do some good.

fixed many, many of these smoke mechines when they have lesser milage, by decarboning the rings.

the best method to use is to go to a gm dealer spend the money and buy a can of "gm top engine cleaner". don't bother with any of the aftermarket cleaners as they lack the strenght to clean it properly. trust me i've been there, tried it, done that.

pull the spark plugs out, and pour equal amounts into each cylinder, use the whole can. let it sit a real 24 hours or more is better. disconnect the ign. coil pack connector, you don't want any spark= fire. don't worry about the fuel injectors.

lay a towel or rags over the open plug holes and crank the engine over with the starter till all the cleaner is shot out and cought by the towels. wait a few minutes and crank it again. if you have an air hose and blow gun dry the cylinders out best you can.

install your old carbon fouled sparkplugs and reconnect the coils, make sure your garage doors/windows are open and the windows are closed on your house. crank the old gal up and fog out the neighbors. mite have to pull the plug and dry them a few times to get it firing.

after the smoke clears from the exhaust let the engine cool down and install a new set of a/c delco plugs and new pcv valve. these engines are tempermental what spark plugs brands they like.

change the oil and filter.

words of wisdom:
    with 262,000 miles you don't want to be adding any "motor oil flushing type fluids"
    into the crank case. cuz i guaranty you'll be walking in short order.

it'll never get all the built up sludge and carbon chucks out no matter how many times you try it. and when it does break up the soften up the sludge chucks, each little piece is going to periodicly find its way to the oil pump pick-up screen and choke it off, and lock your engine bearings up.

old engines are loose and good fresh oil will keep it running longer. they need more regular changes due to ring blow-by and wear.

don't add cleaners into your fuel tank either, there not going to help. their olny going to eat the neoprene rubber out of the pressure regulator, burn up your fuel pump and melt the insulation on the fuel injector coil windings in a short time . no matter what the can says about "fuel system safe". yes they all do it too, it's an acid thats what it does. theres a pile of pumps and injecters laying in the corner of the shop drying out for the trash that tell me so.

edit: replace the oil fouled o2 sensor

good luck
    lighting rod
    w-31
    Last edited by lightingrod; 07-10-2007 at 10:01 PM.

white
    2002 z28

woowww thanks, ill start on that in the next couple days. really appreiate the extensive info and details

Thread Information