Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    '02 Formula A4

How do I get 450whp?

Ok first of all this is like the ultimate newbie question, I know. I'm not a newb to forums at all, just LS1.com.
    I've researched this recently alot and I'm from that I'm saying I can get this power in a 6M 99 SS with I/H/E/cams/heads/tune, maybe fuel upgrade too? Once I hit 450whp I plan on getting a 100 shot of nitrous to use for the track only. How far off am I? I really like this forum since its easy to search for things, alot easier then the RX7 forum,lol.
    I'm new to the LS1 but not to moding cars, I have a 388whp 93 RX7 that I built. I'm tired of not having any tourqe,lol.
    Any help or suggestions or corrections will be great. Thanks
    Richard

Yellow
    ZO6 Corvette

You either just buy the 450hp sticker.....

Or

You throw a butt load of $$ at your car

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
    You either just buy the 450hp sticker.....

Or

Do you want 450rwhp in the camaro or the RX 7? Either way, get h/c and tune plus full boltons, and help it out with suspension, etc.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

White
    '02 Formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Do you want 450rwhp in the camaro or the RX 7? Either way, get h/c and tune plus full boltons, and help it out with suspension, etc.
    In the Camaro, the RX-7 will be sold soon. Ok so my search was a little off.
    BTW whats h/c. I probley know but just bever seen it written as h/c, lol.

Black
    02 SS #8850

h/c = heads/cam

White
    '02 Formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    h/c = heads/cam
    wow, I just made myself look like a dumbass,lol. Thank though.

White
    '02 Formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
    Yeah, i'm use of throwing a buttload of money at my car.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

H/C package, full bolton exhaust, LS6 intake, underdrive crank pulley, ported TB(throttle body), Dyno tune, and some suspension to harness all the power. Your stock clutch, and master slave will need upgrading too since you have a 99. Probably choose a cam larger than 228. Although I think you can make 450 with a 228 or get damn close. Do some more reading and searching. Take notice of what other fbody owners cars mods are. Ask questions. Above all, just have fun modding and try to be a little safe with all your new power.

White
    '02 Formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    H/C package, full bolton exhaust, LS6 intake, underdrive crank pulley, ported TB(throttle body), Dyno tune, and some suspension to harness all the power. Your stock clutch, and master slave will need upgrading too since you have a 99. Probably choose a cam larger than 228. Although I think you can make 450 with a 228 or get damn close. Do some more reading and searching. Take notice of what other fbody owners cars mods are. Ask questions. Above all, just have fun modding and try to be a little safe with all your new power.
    Thanks alot man. That pretty much sums it all up for me. Although I don't have a 99 ss, or a any LS1 yet, I will be buying one soon. I'm hoping for a 99-00 SS. I just have to find one I like, I'm very picky,lol.
    Could I get a 228 cam with ported LS6 or LS2 heads? A friend of mine with a GTO is selling his heads right now. Thats why I ask about the LS2 heads.
    LS6 intake is just the manifold or is the more included?

Hmmmm, I figure if you can get 388rwhp out of an RX-7, then you sure dont need our help.
    May I suggest you take a gander at ls1tech.com
    Its f bod heaven over there. But I digress. Yes, prolly a 228 cam and a good set of heads will shoulder most of the hp. No, stock 243's off a GTO will not cut it....you need some CNC heads. Check out http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/ They seem to be pumping out some of the best budget heads on the market right now.
    '06 M6 GTO (Redrum)
    Comp 228/232
    SW LT's
    GMM Ripper
    JHP Pod
    C.A.I. Air Box
    HPS Tuned
    421rwhp/401rwtq

White
    '02 Formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Hmmmm, I figure if you can get 388rwhp out of an RX-7, then you sure dont need our help.
    May I suggest you take a gander at ls1tech.com
    Its f bod heaven over there. But I digress. Yes, prolly a 228 cam and a good set of heads will shoulder most of the hp. No, stock 243's off a GTO will not cut it....you need some CNC heads. Check out http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/ They seem to be pumping out some of the best budget heads on the market right now.
    lol, but a 388whp RX-7 really ain't that uncommen. Its just I don't know to much about the LS1.
    Thanks for the 2 links, and also the no on the LS2 heads.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneLS1 View Post
    Thanks alot man. That pretty much sums it all up for me. Although I don't have a 99 ss, or a any LS1 yet, I will be buying one soon. I'm hoping for a 99-00 SS. I just have to find one I like, I'm very picky,lol.
    Could I get a 228 cam with ported LS6 or LS2 heads? A friend of mine with a GTO is selling his heads right now. Thats why I ask about the LS2 heads.
    LS6 intake is just the manifold or is the more included?

Sure man, not a problem. Everybody has different ideas and opinions about cams. You'll have to ask yourself what it is that you want to do with your car? Will it be a weekend cruiser, a strip car, or a daily driver? Obviously, a big lumpy cam will be harder to drive in stop and go traffic. Ported LS6 heads are always a good thing imo. However, like someone already said, check out TSP for H/C combos. Tell them your goals and I'm sure they'll hook you up. Yes the LS6 intake is the intake manifold. 01-02 SS are fitted with the LS6 manifold stock from the factory btw. 99-00 also have the EGR and A.I.R provisions. All this means is that your engine compartment is cluttered up more with pollution control crap if you dicide to go with a 99-00.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneLS1 View Post
    lol, but a 388whp RX-7 really ain't that uncommen. Its just I don't know to much about the LS1.
    Thanks for the 2 links, and also the no on the LS2 heads.
    Any time. Good luck in your search. Great thing about the LSx motors, they respond well to just about any modification......you wont be disappointed.

Ratdaddy07
    I did 420 with h/c Ls6 intake, full exhaust and not so wild a cam 228 .580 114, you could probably get what you want or close with the same set up and maybe a .600 lift cam.

Ratdaddy07
    I think I could get more out of the tune as well.

White
    '02 Formula A4

Sure man, not a problem. Everybody has different ideas and opinions about cams. You'll have to ask yourself what it is that you want to do with your car? Will it be a weekend cruiser, a strip car, or a daily driver? Obviously, a big lumpy cam will be harder to drive in stop and go traffic. Ported LS6 heads are always a good thing imo. However, like someone already said, check out TSP for H/C combos. Tell them your goals and I'm sure they'll hook you up. Yes the LS6 intake is the intake manifold. 01-02 SS are fitted with the LS6 manifold stock from the factory btw. 99-00 also have the EGR and A.I.R provisions. All this means is that your engine compartment is cluttered up more with pollution control crap if you dicide to go with a 99-00.
    I would love to get a 01-02 SS but i don't think I can afford it. I'm about $7k-$8k in debt with the RX-7 so once its sold I will be paying off everything and that should leave me with around $6k+income tax money, I will have enough for a nice down payment. Then I have daily driver that I can get about $4k for. Thats when the mods will come Plus I'm only 19 so loans are out of the question with out a good down payment.
    The stock LS6 heads from an 01-02 SS still have to be ported to fit with a 228 .580 114 cam, right? Since I'm still asking questions, can all the EGR and A.I.R. crap be removed? Stock RX-7s have over 70 vacume lines but when I was done removing all that uneeded crap I was left with 17, much easier to work with,lol. BTW this car will be daily driven as much as possible although I will most likley buy a really old 5-spd honda for rainy days.
    Thanks
    Richard

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

take em to cartech......I know a guy running in the 10s head and cam....he brought his car to them and they didnt tell him what was going in it.....but it definately did the job!

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Check at Patrick's set up here he is using a custom cam and making big power and torque. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481382
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Arctic White
    2000 FRC

good air intake, Ls6 intake, long tube headers, stage 2-3 heads, good cam, dyno tune

Black
    Formula... soon

about how much would all that cost including labor?

Thread Information