Red
    1969 camaro

how do i get 425 hp from a Stock LS1

i am new to the ls1 scene. i just bought a 2002 camaro police interceptor and it needs bearings and an oil pump. i am an auto dealer so i have to sell the car and make money on it. i was wondering if i should just fix the engine and sell it for around 10k or get it to make some power and sell it for more paper. i was wondering if any one out there have a recipe for making around 425 hp at the crank, without nitrous or any other expensive power adders and using the stock heads and bottom end. also have a few other questions:

1 does a 206 cam fit? how much more power will it make?
    2 best cam for the money?
    3 What is the best intake manifold for the money?
    4 is one of those "ported" throttle bodies worth the cost?
    5 best flowing/sounding exhaust on a budget(without going deaf)?
    6 will an aftermarket filter lid really make more power?
    7 best computer gizmo to tune the engine?

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

ok well, i'm sure you know u never get your money outta aftermarket upgrades on a car, you can't sell it for what you paid the parts for, cuz unless its EXACTLY what the person would have done, it aint worth the full cost to him/her.

But as for you quesitions:
    1) yes the Z06 cam will fit, but if your going thru the hassle of a cam swap, y not go a little bigger.
    2) best cam for the money, well most cams cost around the same price, it depends on what u want outta the car, a track car, a daily driver, etc.
    3) you dont need to change the intake, 2001 and 2002 cars came with the
    Z06, LS6 intake, the only better one out there is the FAST LSX intake, which requires a 90mm throttle body, and isnt necessary for a small cammed, or close to stock car. (plus its exp as hell)
    4) The ported throttle body's are good for about 8-10 rwhp, and you can get the stock one ported for about $75 from some of the sponsors... can't beat the price!
    5) exhaust depends... Are you going to change the exhaust manifolds to Long tubes? or just do a catback exhaust? If you want to do a full exhaust, the best bang for your buck headers are the Ceramic Coated Pacesetters - cost about $400, then you need either high flow cats or off road y pipe (to stay emission legal). If you go Off Road Y pipe, you need to tune out the codes for it to pass inspections that read the ODBII computer. As for catback, people love the sound of the Hooker cat back with the Pacesetter headers. Loudest is SLP Loudmouth. Hooker, magnaflow, and such are decent exhaust for the price and sound. Borla adjustable is great cuz you can change the sound to your liking, but cost a little more.
    6)... aftermarket filters havent been shown to make any gains (at least on stock or clost to stock applications) YOu would be better off spending the money on an aftermarket lid, like MTI or SLP.
    7) The best gizmo to tune ur engine is a DYNO! Otherwise if you wanna do it yourself, go with HPTuners or LS1Edit. If you jsut want a handheld one, The Diablo and Vinci Programmers are the way to go.

As far as your horse power goals... 425 to the crank shouldn't be too hard. Full bolt ons (Lid, ported throttle body, Long Tube headers, high flow exhaust rest of way back, maybe the 25% underdrive pulley (SLP, ATI, and Powerbond make them) them maybe a baby came like 228/228 , .5xx/.5xx lift, i'm sure someone with a similar cam can vouch for the numbers. Hope this helps out a bit for ya, should be a start... start searching each topic here and on LS1tech.com and u'll find alot of usefull information.

Also check out the dyno section on here you'll get an idea of what power different setups make.
    Last edited by 98_Formula; 04-18-2006 at 11:28 PM.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

and if your gonna cam it, and need to change the oil pump, upgrade to the ls6 oil pump.

Red
    1969 camaro

thanks for all the info. i have to drop the engine out and change the bearings and oil pump anyway, i will start looking for a moderate cam and the other parts on ebay and in you for sale section. my budget for performance is quite low like 600.00 - 800.00 but i bet i can come close if i buy mostly used parts. one more question?

i am trying to find a stock gm cam that will give me those gains without being too much for the heads. again i am on a budget and i would much rather buy a used cam then spend 400 on a new one. the car does have to be streetable and emissions legal. i would have a hard time selling it otherwise.

i would also like to add if anybody out there has the used parts i am looking for i would appreciate an email with prices.
    my email address is smallblockman69@yahoo.com

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by smallblockman69
    thanks for all the info. i have to drop the engine out and change the bearings and oil pump anyway, i will start looking for a moderate cam and the other parts on ebay and in you for sale section. my budget for performance is quite low like 600.00 - 800.00 but i bet i can come close if i buy mostly used parts. one more question?

i am trying to find a stock gm cam that will give me those gains without being too much for the heads. again i am on a budget and i would much rather buy a used cam then spend 400 on a new one. the car does have to be streetable and emissions legal. i would have a hard time selling it otherwise.
    An LS6 cam alone is not going to put you near 425 - it is a pretty small cam.

You can get a large cam and still be okay with the stock heads. Obviously it kind of goes without saying that adding heads makes for the most gains when it comes to top end, but plenty of people have cam-only cars.

My car is an M6 with a cam, ls6 intake, air lid, headers, catback, and a few other things. It only makes 390 to the wheels and I've spent far over $800.

Even if you save $$ buying a used cam, the supporting modifications you need for it (and SHOULD buy new) can be costly. New timing set, pushrods, valvesprings, oil pump, stem seals, gasket package, etc - that's ~$400 right there.

If you did just a cam it would make okay power, but it really needs other things like an air lid (~$50) headers (~$500) catback (~$400) etc. And since you need to stay emissions legal you would end up with shorty headers, which don't give you the gains that a longtube would.

If I were you I would fix it and sell the car like it is. It's so hard to recoup money on aftermarket parts and labor.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

600 to 800 bucks for mods? Just replacing what is messed up will eat up the majority of that. Best thing for you to do is fix what's broken, and sell it.

If you wanna keep it, and hook it up, then I would give you a whole list of things to do to make a street demon.

Maybe whomever buys it will have some money to blow on it. The more wicked fast LS1's, the better.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

White
    2001 Trans Am

I love this scenario:

SALESMAN wants to modify car to SELL for MORE money than its worth(in initial value).

But, if YOU try and trade YOUR car in to a SALESMAN, (modified) than it is worth LESS, because it is not ORIGINAL.

Jesus Christ...

Red
    1969 camaro

how much is a stock B4C camaro worth? it has 78k on it and will be all black when it comes from paint. it is a former FHP car so it is black and tan. i usually sell 9C1 caprices with LT1' s and crown vic P71 with that god-awful SOHC slow as dirt 4.6. this is my first police camaro. i know the crown vics sell better with some minor mods. and i was thinking that if i advertise a 400 hp 2002 camaro for 11,999 i could make a decent profit and flip it pretty fast.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

the 2002 model fbodys hold a decent value becuz there the *newest* ones you can buy. If it is in good conditions i dont see why you coudln't get $11,900 in stock condition. Just buy a Lid and catback to make it sound nice, and i'm sure it'll sell. some people might actually want it all original

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    My car is an M6 with a cam, ls6 intake, air lid, headers, catback, and a few other things. It only makes 390 to the wheels and I've spent far over $800.
    yea but he's looking for ~425 at the crank. 390 plus 15% drivetrain loss = 448or so... so even with a smaller cam than urs he should be about where he wants to be.

Thread Information