Thread: Hot Cam Kit

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Hot Cam Kit

Thinking about buying the GM Hot CAM Kit from Summit. Figured if anyone has input on this, you all would. wondering what kind of power to expect from it. right now i don't really have any mods except a few of the free mods. but will be getting LT's, ORY, cut outs, and some appearance upgrades when i get back from this lil trip. was going to shoot for 375-400rwhp but will be happy with what i get. i don't want to get to deep into mods with this car cause its my DD and sometimes travel a lot for the Army. haven't heard any opinions on the Hot CAM Kit so hopefully you all can let me know the good and the bad.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

The hot cam if fine especially for a DD. However with the same drivability you can gain more from a little more aggressive cam. Currently I have a 226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112 and it puts just under 400 RWHP (with full exhaust and a lid). It will be hard to pull that off with just a hot cam. As far as drivability is concerned I average at least 1000 miles a month and just two weeks ago put 1000 on her in a week. The cam is still just fine for a DD.

Just to highlight, nothing wrong with the hotcam, but for almost the same money and work you can get more benefits without any loss.

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    The hot cam if fine especially for a DD. However with the same drivability you can gain more from a little more aggressive cam. Currently I have a 226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112 and it puts just under 400 RWHP (with full exhaust and a lid). It will be hard to pull that off with just a hot cam. As far as drivability is concerned I average at least 1000 miles a month and just two weeks ago put 1000 on her in a week. The cam is still just fine for a DD.

Just to highlight, nothing wrong with the hotcam, but for almost the same money and work you can get more benefits without any loss.
    ^^^^^ what he said is right go with no smaller then a 224 his cam looks ideal for what you want.

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

i recently swapped my hot cam for a tsp 224r .581 114lsa. definately worth it. youll be around the 360-370rwhp mark with the mods you listed and the hot cam. in my opinion i would go to a bigger cam. i also daily drive my car, 1500-2000miles a month.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post

damn how did you pull off 400 rwhp with a cam/exhaust/lid? i'm not doubting you at all it's just that i have almost the same mods as you and only put down 350 rwhp. the only thing different from mine to yours is i don't have a lid. your cam specs are very close to mine as well. do you have an ls6 intake i guess that would help me alot.

as far as the hot cam exactly what bottesini said, i was getting ready to get the hotcam as well but found out there are alot of cams out there that make more power for close to the same price. are you putting in the cam?
    Last edited by 2-bowties&abird; 03-08-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    damn how did you pull off 400 rwhp with a cam/exhaust/lid? i'm not doubting you at all it's just that i have almost the same mods as you and only put down 350 rwhp. the only thing different from mine to yours is i don't have a lid. your cam specs are very close to mine as well. do you have an ls6 intake i guess that would help me alot.

as far as the hot cam exactly what bottesini said, i was getting ready to get the hotcam as well but found out there are alot of cams out there that make more power for close to the same price. are you putting in the cam?
    Well mine is a 2002 I was putting down 357 before the cam so the cam gave me right at 40 RWHP. I think a lid and at least and LS6 intake will help you out. Also remember I am a M6

Just to give an idea of what my cam does on the curve here are the before and after cam runs. I still think there is quite a bit more available, just needs some tweaking time.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

yeah mine is an m6 as well. mine needs to be tweaked as well, the guy that tuned it wanted to get it back to retune because of something about the dyno was in uncorrected mode. he didnt realize it untill i got it back home and he's a 2hr. drive from me so i havent taken it back yet. i dont know that much about the tuning of our cars but i know he said he thinks he can get 370rwhp by retuning. but before i take it back i'd like to get some heads and an ls6 intake.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

you said full exhaust so i'm assuming you have long tubes right? what type did you go with? man i cant believe the ls6 intake makes that motor respond that much better. thats amazing 357 rwhp with no cam and a few bolt ons thats great.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    you said full exhaust so i'm assuming you have long tubes right? what type did you go with? man i cant believe the ls6 intake makes that motor respond that much better. thats amazing 357 rwhp with no cam and a few bolt ons thats great.
    I have Kooks long tubes and 2.5" true dual exhaust using 18" Dynomax bullets.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

thanks for the info. so what sizerockers arms will i need? plan on roller rockers but should i just go ahead and go up one or will stock size do?

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

if your on a budget keep the stock.

Thread Information