Thread: hey

kappi

hey

HI guys, nice forum you have here...looking forward to learning a lot from you. well first off i'm from the caribbean. Down here we're into alot of drag racing , rallying etc....we have a vibrant motorsport culture, however we mainly mod japanese and european engines. I'm starting a project shortly however that may call for the use of the ls1 engine, i read the sticky and i noted that it said engines after 99 are best for high performance applications. Since i'm new to this engine, i was wondering if u guys could help me achieve my goals reliably. My goal is to achieve 500 whp using an ls1 engine with a nos setup that gives about 100hp increase when called for. I also want to utliize forged parts for reliability. I wont go the forced induction route because our gas is pretty poor, and due to lack of adequate dyno tuning facilities, the tuning will have to be carried out in real time on the street.( recommendations for tuning programs or aftermarket computers would be appreciated). I would also appreciate if ya all could list the best proven modifications and setups to help me achieve my goal. i'm only looking for 500 whp because the chassis that the engine is being placed into will only weigh 900 -1000kg at MOST ....I eagerly await ur replies...thanks in advance.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

If your fuel quality is really suspect, you may run into just as many problems with nitrous as you might with forced induction. Do you have to meet any emissions standards? Just uncorking a stock LS1 crate motor has put 400+ flywheel hp on several dyno tests. Any quality ported cylinder head and intake combo with full length headers and exhaust to match should meet your goals. An aftermarket head like AFR or Dart would work well to for a little more $$$.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

kappi
    Nope....we have no emissions standards....anything goes in the caribbean ( well at least for now ), 100 and 110 octane fuel is available in my island but not from gasstations and it is very expensive so most of the guys save it for the 'big' runs/drags. What i was thinking is having an ls1 tuned to reliably provide about 500 whp , but with a separate (computer)map for higher octane fuel and nos if needed . Thanx for providing some info to get me started, any other pertinent information is appreciated

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Any good head/cam/exhaust combo should get you close to 500 hp at the flywheel. If you are not going to push it on the cheap gas, you should be fine running smaller combustion chambers to make more power on the good stuff. If you'll be running it hard with lower octane gas (less than 91), then you may want to keep the compressio n down a bit. However, 1000kg is about 2200lbs, if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not sure you'll have to worry about loading the motor enough to make it detonate.

What kind of chassis are you dropping it into?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Light cam, all the bolt-ons, 125 shot. Done.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Thread Information