black
    2002 Trans Am Ram Air

Help with heads?

I have a 2002 Trans Am Ram Air with a few bolt ons: (SLP long tube headers, Slp cold air kit, Corsa cat back exaust, and its been reprogramed with a Diablo hand tuner). When I put my car on the dyno it made 340 hp and 350 foot pounds of torque. I now want to install heads, to be more specific AFR brand heads. I would like to know if someone can help me out with this. I was going to buy the heads assembled along with a cam from AFR. I also wanted to change the intake to a F.A.S.T. intake along with a 90mm F.A.S.T. thorttle body. Could someone tell me if the AFR heads are worth it or would I be better off going with another brand. Should I by the heads fully assembled or put them togther with different components. Also does AFR make a good cam? Or should I go with a Comp, Crane, etc.. cam? Anyone who could give me a hand would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

AFR heads are top quality. I would recommend buying them assembled, unless you enjoy doing valvesprings yourself .
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I agree on the heads but havent ever heard much about their cams. As long as the specs on the cam work well with the heads getting all you can get out of the heads then I wouldnt see why not. I am personally looking at cams from TSP though.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

afr is the best out there. as for cam, which one are you looking at? let use have the specs please.
    is youre car an automatic or six speed? if an auto, you need a stall before a cam. as for the fast intake and 90 t/b, chances are it will be overkill unless you are going with a rather large cam. a ls6 intake manifold is more than enough for most set ups and seeing youre car is an 02, you have a ls6 intake.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Quote Originally Posted by spawn428
    Could someone tell me if the AFR heads are worth it or would I be better off going with another brand....
    Depends on your budget. After sweet talking the wife into a Home Equity... AFR heads were a no brainer for me. However, if your on a budget, I would seriously consider having the stock heads worked over.

Quote Originally Posted by spawn428
    Or should I go with a Comp, Crane, etc.. cam?
    Go with a proven camshaft vendor. I highly recommend a Thunder Racing custom grind...

Not knocking AFR's..they are excellent, but....
    You can get quality heads with similar flow #'s at near half their price.
    Check out PRC's at http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/
    '06 M6 GTO (Redrum)
    Comp 228/232
    SW LT's
    GMM Ripper
    JHP Pod
    C.A.I. Air Box
    HPS Tuned
    421rwhp/401rwtq

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Not knocking AFR's..they are excellent, but....
    You can get quality heads with similar flow #'s at near half their price.
    Check out PRC's at http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/
    flow isnt everything though...

the best way to look at it is you get what you pay for
    if you go with AFR's you are going to get top quality products with out a doubt,
    if you go with someone more budget sometimes its hit or miss (TSP/PRC - TR - MTI)

depending on your choice of camshaft a set of LS6 (243 casting) heads ported may be a better route

ive heard VERY good things of TrickFlows new (recently released) LS6 heads, (they keep near stock runner too & optimize the design of the head instead of porting the shit out of it)

ALSO GMPerformanceParts has some NICE ported LS6 heads that can be had for 1400 for the pair i believe... with no short cuts

bottom line do ALOT of research & get intouch with a good shop to help you along the way

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by spawn428 View Post
    I have a 2002 Trans Am Ram Air with a few bolt ons: (SLP long tube headers, Slp cold air kit, Corsa cat back exaust, and its been reprogramed with a Diablo hand tuner). When I put my car on the dyno it made 340 hp and 350 foot pounds of torque. I now want to install heads, to be more specific AFR brand heads. I would like to know if someone can help me out with this. I was going to buy the heads assembled along with a cam from AFR. I also wanted to change the intake to a F.A.S.T. intake along with a 90mm F.A.S.T. thorttle body. Could someone tell me if the AFR heads are worth it or would I be better off going with another brand. Should I by the heads fully assembled or put them togther with different components. Also does AFR make a good cam? Or should I go with a Comp, Crane, etc.. cam? Anyone who could give me a hand would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.
    personally not a huge fan of SLP's headers (looow hangers) but your in FL so weathering on roads isnt bad at all LOL

fast 90/90 may be overkill depending on combo - reguardless it WILL make a difference but just like Merge Collectors on headers the gains are relative to the set up, the more wild the more you'll get out of the upgrades

for cam choice most companies have COMP grind their camshafts anyways, depending on what your looking for i would reccomend each company on different basis' (TR/TSP/MTI/LG)
    COMP XER lobes though

Thread Information