1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

Heads difficulty

I need to take my heads off and get them milled/valve job so I was wondering how hard it is to remove and put back on a set of heads. So again the question is how difficult is it to remove and put back on a set of heads on a scale of 1-10. 1 being easiest and 10 hardest. THANKS!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by natews6 View Post
    I need to take my heads off and get them milled/valve job so I was wondering how hard it is to remove and put back on a set of heads. So again the question is how difficult is it to remove and put back on a set of heads on a scale of 1-10. 1 being easiest and 10 hardest. THANKS!
    It really depends on your level of mechanical ability and if you have the right tools. Throwing that all aside, I would rate it about a 6
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Most nerve racking part for me was tighting the head bolts. You can only use them once and need new ones but they have no final torque specs. You torque them in a random order and then twist them.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=3

Is it harder than swapping gears?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Is it harder than swapping gears?
    I wouldn't think so since I did about 50% of my H/C swap but me or my buddy can't do gears

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Heads are easier than doing gears-just takes longer. Actually that would depend if the rear was still under the car or not. Main difference is you don't have any measurements or have to use tools like a press to remove bearings. Just expect your back to be sore.

I had a 92 Z before this car and I put 3.42's in it and that was one hell of a job.... took 3 days. Ended up good tho. It was also my first time doing gears so that was defiantly a time factor. So I wouldn't need any specialty tools for this head job? I just ordered a head installation kit from JEGS. Hopefully thats all I need lol.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

If you read the link I posted, it will pretty much tell you everything you need to know

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    If you read the link I posted, it will pretty much tell you everything you need to know
    Ya I read the whole thing last night, I'm gonna print it off and use it as a guide when I do it. I'm just paranoid about getting everything torn apart and then need a special tool for like 1 bolt or something... Thanks a lot for the link btw

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Ya I read the whole thing last night, I'm gonna print it off and use it as a guide when I do it. I'm just paranoid about getting everything torn apart and then need a special tool for like 1 bolt or something... Thanks a lot for the link btw
    The most important thing to remember is to Make sure there is no....NO water/antifreeze in the head holes . Water/antifreeze is a non compressible liquid and if you torque the head bolts down with any in the holes then Bye bye block!!!! You will crack your block for sure

EDIT: Use compressed air/q-tips/rags on the ends of screw drivers to make sure you get all the liquid out

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    The most important thing to remember is to Make sure there is no....NO water/antifreeze in the head holes . Water/antifreeze is a non compressible liquid and if you torque the head bolts down with any in the holes then Bye bye block!!!! You will crack your block for sure

EDIT: Use compressed air/q-tips/rags on the ends of screw drivers to make sure you get all the liquid out
    lol thats prolly were most of the time will be spent then... triple checking each hole and still be paranoid lol

Thread Information