Thread: Heads/cam build

black
    2001 camaro ss

Heads/cam build

Ive owned my stock 2001 ss for two years now and it's starting to feel horriably slow to me so I'm looking to push 450 to the wheels as a bad ass street car with occasional track visits, but I don't feel like spending 6k only wanting to spend at most 3k on everything including clutch and exhaust I know it's a tight budget but I can push it if I must .... I'm looking at prc stage 2.5 heads with a ms3 cam ....fairly new to this but having two amazing mechanics help me out .... So open to everything haha

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

hey neighbor?
    What do you have done so far? Headers? How many miles are on the car?

black
    2001 ss

Like your idea i have the ms3 set up with stock heads and intake and put down 400. Heads should easily put you in the 450 range also mine is a 2000 so i still have the ls1 intake not the ls6 that will help you too.

black
    2001 camaro ss

It's really bone stock I have the the k&n fpik intake and smooth bellow hated the way the lid looked but the car only has 24000 miles I've been saving up to do it all at once .. Go big it go home little changes aren't enough for me haha

I'm from Nazareth pa where are you i'n pa

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BOWDOWNSS View Post
    It's really bone stock I have the the k&n fpik intake and smooth bellow hated the way the lid looked but the car only has 24000 miles I've been saving up to do it all at once .. Go big it go home little changes aren't enough for me haha

I'm from Nazareth pa where are you i'n pa
    I am from Kentucky but line in Pen Argyl now. Close to wind gap. I am the same way, i am in the process of gathering parts to do a head and cam. 243 heads and g5x3 cam. Nice car, i used to have 2001 just like that but with chrome wheels. the one i have now is a 2000 m6 pewter with 31000 miles on it.

Black
    2000 SS

That combo that you have mentioned will make good power. As for the clutch get a LS7 clutch

black
    2001 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 1slowbusa View Post
    I am from Kentucky but line in Pen Argyl now. Close to wind gap. I am the same way, i am in the process of gathering parts to do a head and cam. 243 heads and g5x3 cam. Nice car, i used to have 2001 just like that but with chrome wheels. the one i have now is a 2000 m6 pewter with 31000 miles on it.
    I heard alot of good things about that cam, def the way to go but I'm going with the head and cam package from Texas speed and a spec stage 1 clutch,

silver
    1986 camaro

Prc 2.5 5.3 heads, eps custom camshaft, used fast 90/92, headers and full exhaust, ls 7 clutch. And pray for your 10 bolt

black
    2001 camaro ss

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to do but keeping the stock ls6 and I ported my stock throttle body and I'm going to go with 373's i'n the rear eventually

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

If I am around I will more than happy help you install the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 1nasty86 View Post
    Prc 2.5 5.3 heads, eps custom camshaft, used fast 90/92, headers and full exhaust, ls 7 clutch. And pray for your 10 bolt
    Who deals in, or has information on eps cams anyway? Always hear EPS being thrown around, but never heard any info on them.

Black

I'm in the same boat bro, just got my vindicator cam and I'm gonna port thee 243s I have and 4.10, waiting on little stuff and a clutch, hope to get 460/470....02z28 m6

silver
    1986 camaro

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to do but keeping the stock ls6 and I ported my stock throttle body and I'm going to go with 373's i'n the rear eventually
    fast intakes arent that expensive anymore really. you would get alot from one. sell the ls6 and get a 90/92.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Who deals in, or has information on eps cams anyway? Always hear EPS being thrown around, but never heard any info on them.
    a guy named geoff on ls1 tech makes them. he designed his own lobes like some cams are on xer lobes,lsl lobes geoff's lobes are called eps lobes. type in engine power systems and it will go to his website. good guy! and his cams make AWESOME power.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I don't know why anybody has not said anything but you will most likely blow your rear end, so your going to need to look into a rear, and possibly having the tranny rebuilt down the road.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

I have the TSP 2.5 heads, and the MS3 cam. Great combo, and a good driver with a 6-speed. Like others have said, you're going to want to upgrade the rear. It won't last long with the new power. I upgraded my rear, transmission, and suspension before building the engine. You need a solid base for the kind of power you'll be pushing. My build is in my sig.
    LS6 2.5 heads, OBX LT's, LM1, MS3 cam, 12 bolt Moser, Koni 4/4's, UMI EVERYTHING!
    My build thread:http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123827
    My Halloween Forum http://www.hauntersnation.com

black
    2001 camaro ss

im looking into the 5.3 not the ls2 though

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

im looking into the 5.3 not the ls2 though
    Do you think you'll ever go FI?

black
    '02 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Geoff did my Pat G spec and I have nothing but good things to say about EPS. I had LSL lobes as per Pat G, but have noticed some great things about his EPS lobe.

EPS - Engine Power Systems
    '02 ws6.....mods? nope

black
    2001 camaro ss

i though about it but i cant afford it

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Currently getting ready for an eps cam/texas speed heads swap. Blew up my rear @ 15,000 miles on the street- others have raced for a long time so you might get lucky. I did a 9" replacement & have done headers, exhaust, ported everything I could, nitrous, & more. Been doing something most winters and the new heads & cam are this year. Sounds like you have your plan and if you think ahead you won't waste time or money but will have a base to continue to buiild on.

Thread Information