Thread: Which heads?

Red
    1987 Trans Am

Which heads?

I am wondering what heads I should go with. If I can score some LS6 heads for cheap I will go with them no question. I have heard the edelbrock heads for the LS1s are worth a lot of power, but do I need to port them or are they grewat out of the box?
    What heads would be sweet for a cam with
    LSA 112,
    Lift .556, .568,
    Dur @50 222, 224.

I just don't not want to choke the cam so to speak. Should I just get my heads ported?

Are the Alum. 6.0 truck heads worth it or go Ls6?

Thanks for the input guys.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

im a fan of the dart heads right out of the box.

also check out http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/
    for there ported heads
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

How much money do you want to spend? How much HP are you looking for? What year LS1 are these going in? Are you running headers? Stock fuel injection? I would go with a set of stage 1.5 or stage 2 TEA heads for the price. I know G-Force put a set of these heads on a friends car and they were impressed with the HP it put out for the small amount of mods it has. Just remember when changing out to the LS6 heads, the LS6 has a smaller cam base circle and the valves are longer which might cause problems. Also the compression ratios change with the different heads because of the combusion chamber sizes. There's alot to concider when changing out your heads. Think about the mods you have and future mods you're going to make.

LS6 - 64.45 cc
    LS1 - 66.67 cc
    5.3 - 61.15 cc
    6.0 - 71.0 cc

do you have the stock sized block?

Red
    1987 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrous View Post
    How much money do you want to spend? How much HP are you looking for? What year LS1 are these going in? Are you running headers? Stock fuel injection?

I don't wanna spend more than $1200. I would buy Bare heads, as I have my valvetrain already. I am going with 1.8 rockers. I want as much horse as I can get! 400 Horse at the wheels would be great too. The ls1 is a 1998 Trans Am block. I will be running long tubes and a lS6 intake. after I get everything assembled, I will have it tuned at a local race shop here in MN. I am thinking about just getting some ported Ls1 heads from TPIS.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1987 View Post
    I don't wanna spend more than $1200. I would buy Bare heads, as I have my valvetrain already. I am going with 1.8 rockers. I want as much horse as I can get! 400 Horse at the wheels would be great too. The ls1 is a 1998 Trans Am block. I will be running long tubes and a lS6 intake. after I get everything assembled, I will have it tuned at a local race shop here in MN. I am thinking about just getting some ported Ls1 heads from TPIS.
    1.8 rockers and a cam are a big no no unless you flycut the pistons

Red
    1987 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    1.8 rockers and a cam are a big no no unless you flycut the pistons

Why? I thought they would work good and only add lift? I thought they would bring my lift to around .580?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Why? I thought they would work good and only add lift? I thought they would bring my lift to around .580?
    There comes a time when the extra lift is absolutly useless. Stay away from the 1.8 with the cam. You could and probaly will run into problems.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Also, High ratio rockers open the vallves quickers, lift them higher, and close them later. I dont know what your springs are or what your calvetrain is. But, Valvle spring coil bind becomes more critical, and the valve notches in the piston have to deepened to accommodate for increased lift. 1.8 is just a theortical ratio. Finding how much axtra lift you will have is easy.

For the example we will use 1.5

A rockerarm with 1.5 ratio should produce a net valve lift lift hat is exactly 1.5 times greater than the camshaft with 3.00 inch lobe lift should produce a maximum valve lift of 4.50 inch. (1.500 x .300 = 4.50)

However, due to manufacturing tolerances, deflections in the valve train and the complex motion of the rocker as it sweeps across vavle stem tip, actual lift seldom equals theoritcal ratio.

Red
    1987 Trans Am

Just curious, how more horse will the 1.8s give me over the 1.7s? If it isn't that much, then I will go with 1.7s. If I do go with 1.7s, I will buy some bad ass ones, which do you guys recommend?

Thread Information