Navy Blue Metallic
    01 Camaro SS M6

Headgasket? Pleas help!

So I noticed today after a drive that there is alot of water in the exhaust pipes. My car doesn't smoke whatsoever and I had been driving it all day so it had plenty of time to warm up. The temp stays just below of right in the middle according to my temp gauge. The weather here has been in the 50s so it's not terribly cold outside. I have only owned the car for two months and when I first got it I noticed the coolant level was low. I haven't added any since and it doesn't SEEM to have gone much lower. I dapper the water and it is clear, with just an exhaust smell. So???? What could it be? Condensation? Wouldn't it have all burned out by now???

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like normal condensation in the exhaust.

One by-product of combustion is water vapor. That is most likely what you are seeing. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 Camaro SS M6

I sure hope so. From what I have read all of the moisture in the exhaust should disappear after the engine has run up to temp for awhile. I have a clunking noise in my rear end to deal with I dont need engine problem as well.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01NavyBlueSLPSS View Post
    I sure hope so. From what I have read all of the moisture in the exhaust should disappear after the engine has run up to temp for awhile. I have a clunking noise in my rear end to deal with I dont need engine problem as well.
    How long is "a while"??

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 Camaro SS M6

From what understand basically the water will start evaporating as soon as the engine reaches running temp. I drove around for a couple of hours, came home and changed out my rear brakes. About 4 hours later I took a little test drive ( about a half hour) and came back and I happened to look inside the tail pipes and noticed some Water about 20 inches back from the tips. I noticed it in the winter and checked to make sure it wasn't antifreeze, realized it wasnt, then thought it was no big deal since it was freezing temperatures outside, causing condensation. But now, it's pretty decent weather and it is worrying me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 Camaro SS M6

Well I drove it around for about an hour and a half, came home and parked it for about 4 hours. Then drove it again fir about a half hour and came home and I just happened to look into my exhaust and noticed some wet spots about 20 inches back from the exhaust tips

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I'm with Wesman I don't think its anything but condensation. Does it emit white smoke when its running? Take off your oil cap and see if therese a yellow-ish sludge built up in it. Both of those are usually indicators of a blown head gasket.

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 Camaro SS M6

No smoke as I mentioned above and I did check under the cap and it's clean

Thread Information